Optics B/C

User avatar
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 417
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 6:10 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Optics B/C

Postby blue cobra » September 5th, 2011, 12:27 pm

chalker wrote:
blue cobra wrote:I understand the Doppler Effect qualitatively, but could someone please help me understand how to do quantitative problems with it?



Check out the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_effect
It's got some good formulas and links to other sites that let you simulate it.


So do we use the formula for the Doppler Effect in classical physics:



or must we adjust this because we are working with light, rather than sound?
In full color since 2006

User avatar
Infinity Flat
Member
Member
Posts: 274
Joined: March 12th, 2010, 4:00 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Camas, WA

Re: Optics B/C

Postby Infinity Flat » September 5th, 2011, 1:14 pm

blue cobra wrote:
chalker wrote:
blue cobra wrote:I understand the Doppler Effect qualitatively, but could someone please help me understand how to do quantitative problems with it?



Check out the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_effect
It's got some good formulas and links to other sites that let you simulate it.


So do we use the formula for the Doppler Effect in classical physics:



or must we adjust this because we are working with light, rather than sound?

You only need to use the relativistic doppler equation when one of the objects is moving near the speed of light.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

User avatar
foreverphysics
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 494
Joined: May 20th, 2011, 8:41 pm
Division: Grad
State: AL
Location: Deep inside a physics book
Contact:

Re: Optics B/C

Postby foreverphysics » September 10th, 2011, 1:26 pm

Is it true that this year, they're going to make Div B reflect on 2 mirrors for the Laser Shoot as opposed to 1?
Image
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2086
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Optics B/C

Postby chalker » September 10th, 2011, 3:22 pm

foreverphysics wrote:Is it true that this year, they're going to make Div B reflect on 2 mirrors for the Laser Shoot as opposed to 1?


Not true. You have the OPTION of using up to 5 mirrors, but nothing in the rules 'makes' you use 2.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

User avatar
foreverphysics
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 494
Joined: May 20th, 2011, 8:41 pm
Division: Grad
State: AL
Location: Deep inside a physics book
Contact:

Re: Optics B/C

Postby foreverphysics » September 10th, 2011, 8:21 pm

chalker wrote:
foreverphysics wrote:Is it true that this year, they're going to make Div B reflect on 2 mirrors for the Laser Shoot as opposed to 1?


Not true. You have the OPTION of using up to 5 mirrors, but nothing in the rules 'makes' you use 2.
...That requires more thought than I had previously given it...better get my partner cracking...
Image
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"

Gillen
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: January 10th, 2011, 1:20 pm
Division: Grad
State: MO
Location: Platte City, MO

Re: Optics B/C

Postby Gillen » September 11th, 2011, 5:56 pm

chalker wrote:
foreverphysics wrote:Is it true that this year, they're going to make Div B reflect on 2 mirrors for the Laser Shoot as opposed to 1?


Not true. You have the OPTION of using up to 5 mirrors, but nothing in the rules 'makes' you use 2.

Is this true for Div C as well?

bearasauras
Member
Member
Posts: 371
Joined: March 4th, 2003, 8:33 pm
State: CA
Location: Los Angeles, California
Contact:

Re: Optics B/C

Postby bearasauras » September 11th, 2011, 6:00 pm

Yup

JSGandora
Member
Member
Posts: 613
Joined: December 25th, 2010, 12:09 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Optics B/C

Postby JSGandora » September 11th, 2011, 6:05 pm

Do you get different points for using different numbers of mirrors?

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2086
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Optics B/C

Postby chalker » September 11th, 2011, 8:23 pm

JSGandora wrote:Do you get different points for using different numbers of mirrors?


Yes. More mirrors = more points.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

User avatar
tuftedtitmouse12
Member
Member
Posts: 778
Joined: January 3rd, 2011, 12:26 pm
Division: Grad
State: -

Re: Optics B/C

Postby tuftedtitmouse12 » September 12th, 2011, 4:20 pm

chalker wrote:
JSGandora wrote:Do you get different points for using different numbers of mirrors?


Yes. More mirrors = more points.

ahhh
any strategies or hints people are willing to share?? but is the laser shoot pretty much the same concept for division b, with no obstacles? (sorry, haven't gotten the rules manual...)
peter, peter, peter

dallasq
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 8:40 am
Division: C
State: MS

Re: Optics B/C

Postby dallasq » September 14th, 2011, 8:48 am

Since using three barriers is a requirement and you know one is on the midline, then where are the other two?

wlsguy
Member
Member
Posts: 366
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 9:08 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Location: Ohio

Re: Optics B/C

Postby wlsguy » September 14th, 2011, 9:10 am

dallasq wrote:Since using three barriers is a requirement and you know one is on the midline, then where are the other two?


I would say anywhere else on the LSS (as long as they are in the same locations for all teams)

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2086
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Optics B/C

Postby chalker » September 14th, 2011, 10:35 am

dallasq wrote:Since using three barriers is a requirement and you know one is on the midline, then where are the other two?


Some clarification, to ensure that people don't get the wrong ideas:

1. 3 barriers is for C division. 1 barrier in B division.
2. It's not guaranteed to be on the midline in either case. The target point can now be ANYWHERE on the wall, not just the exact middle.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

User avatar
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 1539
Joined: November 18th, 2009, 12:59 pm
Division: Grad
State: IA
Location: Des Moines
Contact:

Re: Optics B/C

Postby zyzzyva980 » September 14th, 2011, 1:34 pm

But there will be:
A) A line from the laser to the target and
B) A barrier on that line,
correct?
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: Wiki & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 577
Joined: September 10th, 2006, 8:21 am
Division: Grad
State: -
Location: The Library
Contact:

Re: Optics B/C

Postby rocketman1555 » September 14th, 2011, 2:44 pm

That is what it looks like.
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.


Return to “2012 Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests