Optics B/C

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Optics B/C

Post by chalker »

Gillen wrote:
SciBomb97 wrote:In the laser shoot, is the laser on from the beginning and just the mirrors are covered, or are both the laser and the mirrors covered?
The laser is normally off and all the mirrors are covered, based on what I've seen.

Rule 3.d.xiv explicitly says the laser is not to be turned on until the team is done placing the mirrors.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
hexagonaria
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by hexagonaria »

I just competed at Wright state on Saturday, and our laser shoot had an accuracy of 5 millimeters using all 5 mirrors. I've never done this before, so is this considered 'good?' I know I need to study more, i'm just wondering if I need a new shooting method too.
DFTBA
Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

hexagonaria wrote:I just competed at Wright state on Saturday, and our laser shoot had an accuracy of 5 millimeters using all 5 mirrors. I've never done this before, so is this considered 'good?' I know I need to study more, i'm just wondering if I need a new shooting method too.
I personally consider within a centimeter great (5mm is basically perfect from my perspective), and a few centimeter range pretty good. My experience is that my uncertainty is a few centimeters from difficulties of getting angles exact, even with high precision templates.
SciBomb97
State: AL

Post by SciBomb97 »

hexagonaria wrote:I just competed at Wright state on Saturday, and our laser shoot had an accuracy of 5 millimeters using all 5 mirrors. I've never done this before, so is this considered 'good?' I know I need to study more, i'm just wondering if I need a new shooting method too.
I think that 5mm with all five mirrors is about as perfect as you can get.
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

Are you crazy? I'd be screaming for joy if I got within 10 mm, much less 5.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
hexagonaria

Post by hexagonaria »

Cool
DFTBA
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by smartkid222 »

How were the barriers placed on the box and how far away from the center was the target?
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
JSGandora
State: NJ

Post by JSGandora »

The target can be placed not at the center?
hexagonaria

Post by hexagonaria »

There was one barrier in the middle and the other two were more or less equal distance away from it on either side..pretty much what I expected. I was surprised that the target was right on the the center, so that was kind of easy. I thought they would be a little more creative and put out off to the side.
DFTBA
cngu23
State: MD

Post by cngu23 »

JSGandora wrote:The target can be placed not at the center?
Haven't really checked the rules on this but

for the laser shoot, which variables are changed, the location of the target, or the location of the obstacle, and how many obstacles are there?
Is there a predetermined size for the box too?

I am thinking about premaking a few mirror placement models that can work for almost any placement of the object or target. Might that be helpful, or do they not allow you to use notes or anything when making calculations?
Thank you.
Marriotts Ridge 11-
Walter Johnson 09-11

13 MD Regional/State
Material S (2/-) TPS (-/2)
12 MD Regional/State
Remote S(2/6) Water Q(2/4) Optics (-/5)
11 MD Regional
Remote S(2) Eco(2) D Planet(3)

Return to “2012 Lab Events”