Optics B/C

Locked
User avatar
FawnOnyx
Member
Member
Posts: 96
Joined: December 27th, 2011, 12:32 pm
Division: Grad
State: MN
Location: Supermassive Black Hole
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by FawnOnyx » February 19th, 2012, 11:18 am

Do you guys have any good recommendations for places to buy mirrors? So far, me and my partner have been using some pretty big 8cm x 8cm mirrors that have deteriorated, so I'm looking for some new ones to try out a different size or type.
Mounds View Science Olympiad Alumnus, 2011-2014
MIT Science Olympiad Volunteer

User avatar
hexagonaria
Member
Member
Posts: 212
Joined: July 14th, 2010, 11:00 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Location: Pepperland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by hexagonaria » February 19th, 2012, 11:20 am

FawnOnyx wrote:Do you guys have any good recommendations for places to buy mirrors? So far, me and my partner have been using some pretty big 8cm x 8cm mirrors that have deteriorated, so I'm looking for some new ones to try out a different size or type.
I got mine from Hobby Lobby. They have the correct size and they are really cheap.
DFTBA

Gillen
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: January 10th, 2011, 1:20 pm
Division: Grad
State: MO
Location: Platte City, MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by Gillen » February 19th, 2012, 12:26 pm

hexagonaria wrote:
FawnOnyx wrote:Do you guys have any good recommendations for places to buy mirrors? So far, me and my partner have been using some pretty big 8cm x 8cm mirrors that have deteriorated, so I'm looking for some new ones to try out a different size or type.
I got mine from Hobby Lobby. They have the correct size and they are really cheap.
That's where I got mine, too. They're not the best, but are just fine for a practice laser shoot.

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2104
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Optics B/C

Post by chalker » February 19th, 2012, 12:57 pm

Gillen wrote: I got mine from Hobby Lobby. They have the correct size and they are really cheap.
That's where I got mine, too. They're not the best, but are just fine for a practice laser shoot.[/quote]

They also happen to be the ones I recommend on the National site and use on the boxes that I built for Nationals last year.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

User avatar
hexagonaria
Member
Member
Posts: 212
Joined: July 14th, 2010, 11:00 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Location: Pepperland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by hexagonaria » February 19th, 2012, 1:00 pm

chalker wrote:
Gillen wrote: I got mine from Hobby Lobby. They have the correct size and they are really cheap.
That's where I got mine, too. They're not the best, but are just fine for a practice laser shoot.
They also happen to be the ones I recommend on the National site and use on the boxes that I built for Nationals last year.[/quote][/quote]
yeah, that's why I got them ;)
DFTBA

User avatar
tuftedtitmouse12
Member
Member
Posts: 778
Joined: January 3rd, 2011, 12:26 pm
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 » February 19th, 2012, 7:02 pm

Wait, is there a required size for mirrors?!?
peter, peter, peter

space scientist
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: December 18th, 2010, 1:54 pm
Division: C
State: TX
Location: somewhere- in the Twilight Zone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by space scientist » February 19th, 2012, 7:54 pm

tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:Wait, is there a required size for mirrors?!?
Yes. Rule 3.d.5. states, "The 5 flat mirrors must have a width of 5-8 cm."
"The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion." John Lawton
"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it." William Arthur Ward

User avatar
tuftedtitmouse12
Member
Member
Posts: 778
Joined: January 3rd, 2011, 12:26 pm
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 » February 20th, 2012, 7:42 am

space scientist wrote:
tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:Wait, is there a required size for mirrors?!?
Yes. Rule 3.d.5. states, "The 5 flat mirrors must have a width of 5-8 cm."
Oh for heavens sake. Our mirrors are a few millimeters larger than 8 cm...we'll just have to make do with that..
peter, peter, peter

space scientist
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: December 18th, 2010, 1:54 pm
Division: C
State: TX
Location: somewhere- in the Twilight Zone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by space scientist » February 20th, 2012, 11:38 am

Would it be legal if I put double-sided sticky tape on the template so that: the template components can stick to each other when I assemble the template, the template doesn't move after it has been aligned with the laser, and the mirrors wouldn't move after they were placed on the template (all to prevent movement that would cause the laser to be aligned incorrectly)? I think I would be able to claim that the tape is part of the template, but I am concerned that the tape might cause it to be considered modifying the LSS (Although, any tape that gets on the LSS or mirror is going to be removed after the laser has been fired.).
"The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion." John Lawton
"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it." William Arthur Ward

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2104
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Optics B/C

Post by chalker » February 20th, 2012, 5:17 pm

space scientist wrote:Would it be legal if I put double-sided sticky tape on the template so that: the template components can stick to each other when I assemble the template, the template doesn't move after it has been aligned with the laser, and the mirrors wouldn't move after they were placed on the template (all to prevent movement that would cause the laser to be aligned incorrectly)? I think I would be able to claim that the tape is part of the template, but I am concerned that the tape might cause it to be considered modifying the LSS (Although, any tape that gets on the LSS or mirror is going to be removed after the laser has been fired.).

I personally wouldn't have a problem with that, but I think your mileage may vary depending on the specific event supervisor.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Locked

Return to “2012 Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest