Optics B/C

User avatar
Infinity Flat
Member
Member
Posts: 274
Joined: March 12th, 2010, 4:00 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Camas, WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by Infinity Flat » May 21st, 2012, 7:58 pm

lakersfan2012 wrote:How many teams ended up using 5 mirrors at the laser shoot?
Not sure. We used 4 mirrors, got 1 mm accuracy, and placed 3rd overall.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

User avatar
Seracon
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: February 14th, 2012, 8:14 am
Division: Grad
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by Seracon » May 21st, 2012, 8:27 pm

Infinity Flat wrote:
lakersfan2012 wrote:How many teams ended up using 5 mirrors at the laser shoot?
Not sure. We used 4 mirrors, got 1 mm accuracy, and placed 3rd overall.
Just wondering, did you notice the not-aligned-with-the-base mirrors? My partner and I made our templates assuming that they were, and we didn't notice that the mirrors were tilted due to the covering, and got a score of 0 on the LSS (bounced off 2 mirrors and missed the third because of the tilt). I'm a bit upset about that, but it wasn't against the rules or anything...placed 15th with the test itself.
MN Geologic Mapping Regional & State Coordinator
Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational Co-Chair (Div B)
http://sciolyumn.wordpress.com/about/

Osennecho
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: December 23rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by Osennecho » May 21st, 2012, 9:19 pm

Seracon wrote:
Infinity Flat wrote:
lakersfan2012 wrote:How many teams ended up using 5 mirrors at the laser shoot?
Not sure. We used 4 mirrors, got 1 mm accuracy, and placed 3rd overall.
Just wondering, did you notice the not-aligned-with-the-base mirrors? My partner and I made our templates assuming that they were, and we didn't notice that the mirrors were tilted due to the covering, and got a score of 0 on the LSS (bounced off 2 mirrors and missed the third because of the tilt). I'm a bit upset about that, but it wasn't against the rules or anything...placed 15th with the test itself.
We also noticed that. Our team used 4 mirrors got 6mm accuracy and placed 5th in Optics. Hmmmm now I really wonder what Troy did/scored on the LSS.
2012 Events: (Regionals, States, Nationals); N/A=conflict
Astronomy (6th, 7th, 16th)
Dynamic Planet (N/A, N/A, 11th)
Optics (2nd, 3rd, 5th)
Remote Sensing (N/A, 5th, 47th)

Team Overall (3rd, 2nd, 14th)
It's been a life changing 6 year experience.

r00ki316
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: April 15th, 2010, 8:48 pm
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by r00ki316 » May 22nd, 2012, 1:46 am

I believe 2nd place team got dead on (which probably means +/- 2mm) with 5 mirrors. Hence, they were legitimate contenders and barely lost to Troy on the written test.

Maletitas
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: April 27th, 2012, 8:47 pm
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by Maletitas » May 22nd, 2012, 5:24 am

r00ki316 wrote:I believe 2nd place team got dead on (which probably means +/- 2mm) with 5 mirrors. Hence, they were legitimate contenders and barely lost to Troy on the written test.
i heard Troy got 4th in Optics...why does that mean the 2nd place team lost on the written test? does anyone have the test results?

lakersfan2012
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: February 11th, 2011, 8:58 pm
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by lakersfan2012 » May 22nd, 2012, 7:44 pm

r00ki316 wrote:I believe 2nd place team got dead on (which probably means +/- 2mm) with 5 mirrors. Hence, they were legitimate contenders and barely lost to Troy on the written test.
We did get dead on on the laser shoot with five mirrors, there were a few questions we were not sure on (the laser question regarding the different kinds of glass) which cost us a bunch of points. I was also wondering about the written test results
My user name is proof I was a Lakers fan before LeBron

4 years Div C - WI
6 years coaching - WI
1 year coaching (and counting) - MI

Osennecho
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: December 23rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by Osennecho » May 23rd, 2012, 6:17 pm

Was the answer to the part involving 4 classical optics equations on the National Exam Maxwell's Equations?
Please tell me it was something else. Cause I thought of that but didn't write it at the time... And now it's bothering me... A lot...
2012 Events: (Regionals, States, Nationals); N/A=conflict
Astronomy (6th, 7th, 16th)
Dynamic Planet (N/A, N/A, 11th)
Optics (2nd, 3rd, 5th)
Remote Sensing (N/A, 5th, 47th)

Team Overall (3rd, 2nd, 14th)
It's been a life changing 6 year experience.

Prototype
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: October 24th, 2011, 5:53 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by Prototype » May 23rd, 2012, 6:42 pm

Do you guys think that the test was relatively easy for the B Division? I felt like pretty much the answer to every single question there was in my binder...

User avatar
Seracon
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: February 14th, 2012, 8:14 am
Division: Grad
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by Seracon » May 23rd, 2012, 7:10 pm

Osennecho wrote:Was the answer to the part involving 4 classical optics equations on the National Exam Maxwell's Equations?
Please tell me it was something else. Cause I thought of that but didn't write it at the time... And now it's bothering me... A lot...
Well, I'm pretty sure it was Maxwell's equations, sorry! D:
MN Geologic Mapping Regional & State Coordinator
Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational Co-Chair (Div B)
http://sciolyumn.wordpress.com/about/

Osennecho
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: December 23rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by Osennecho » May 23rd, 2012, 7:55 pm

Seracon wrote:
Osennecho wrote:Was the answer to the part involving 4 classical optics equations on the National Exam Maxwell's Equations?
Please tell me it was something else. Cause I thought of that but didn't write it at the time... And now it's bothering me... A lot...
Well, I'm pretty sure it was Maxwell's equations, sorry! D:
That's depressing... I need to just go with the first thing that pops into my head more often... We got 5th but I was sick the day of the competition and couldn't do nearly as much as normal. If you had it in the last time block, I was the guy in the corner with a tissue box :roll: I felt bad for my partner :(
2012 Events: (Regionals, States, Nationals); N/A=conflict
Astronomy (6th, 7th, 16th)
Dynamic Planet (N/A, N/A, 11th)
Optics (2nd, 3rd, 5th)
Remote Sensing (N/A, 5th, 47th)

Team Overall (3rd, 2nd, 14th)
It's been a life changing 6 year experience.

Locked

Return to “2012 Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests