Optics B/C

foreverphysics
Division: Grad
State: AL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by foreverphysics »

Operating principles: exactly what it sounds like--the principles by which the piece of optical equipment operates.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
Constellations
Division: C
State: IA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Constellations »

Is there an equation to calculate the red/blue shift in frequency/wavelength of light? Would help with my notes...
'10: Compute This, Fossils, Trajectory
'11: Anatomy, Fossils, Optics
'12: Astronomy, Optics, Rocks & Minerals
Die Welt ist nicht perfekt, aber sie ist immer noch schoen. The world is not perfect, but it's still beautiful.
foreverphysics

Post by foreverphysics »

Yes. It's called the relativistic Doppler Shift, and the equations are as follow (hopefully the equations are right, typing math into this thing is impossible):
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

himynameis
State: KY

Post by himynameis »

Does anyone know a good site with a good list of the emission spectra of elements and information regarding that?
At region (DivC, Kentucky) there was a page on the test about this and no one knew how to do it. The same person is in charge of it at state and I would like to include some things in my binder
DivineBbbbbeast
State: OH

Post by DivineBbbbbeast »

himynameis wrote:Does anyone know a good site with a good list of the emission spectra of elements and information regarding that?
At region (DivC, Kentucky) there was a page on the test about this and no one knew how to do it. The same person is in charge of it at state and I would like to include some things in my binder
I dont remember any particular sites, but most of them from google search were alright. But you'll definitely need a good color printer, and lots of ink.
Solon High School Class of 2014
Vanderbilt University Class of 2018

2012 Nats: 1st Thermodynamics, 7th Fermi Questions, 28th LoLptics
2013 Nats: 2nd Thermodynamics, 8th Remote Sensing, 9th Fermi Questions
2014 Moral Support :P
SciBomb97

Post by SciBomb97 »

himynameis wrote:Does anyone know a good site with a good list of the emission spectra of elements and information regarding that?
Here's one for emission spectra: :geek: :geek:
....................................Click this ^
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
foreverphysics

Post by foreverphysics »

EDIT: Disregard the post; my mistake. It's not done.

ncdmewaffleo
Division: B
State: NY

Post by ncdmewaffleo »

Does anybody know if it is legal for the target in the laser shoot to be moved off of the center line? Because at New York State State competition, the target was moved about 3 centimeters from the center line which I did not know was legal?????
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

From the Division C rules (I think it's essentially the same for B):

Section 3.d.xi states:
A metric scale with a resolution of at least 1 mm must be attached horizontally to the far target wall at the level at which the laser strikes. One of the marks on the scale is the Target Point.
Section 3.d.ix states:
A line is drawn on the LSS from a point directly below the emitting tip of the laser to a point directly below the center of the laer beam where it strikes the opposite wall...
So, at least in C, while the line must be drawn to where the laser will hit on the wall, that is not necessarily where the target will be. A bit of an unorthodox move on the part of the state, but from what the rules say it sounds perfectly legal.

Does that make sense?
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
ncdmewaffleo
Division: B
State: NY

Post by ncdmewaffleo »

zyzzyva98 wrote:From the Division C rules (I think it's essentially the same for B):

Section 3.d.xi states:
A metric scale with a resolution of at least 1 mm must be attached horizontally to the far target wall at the level at which the laser strikes. One of the marks on the scale is the Target Point.
Section 3.d.ix states:
A line is drawn on the LSS from a point directly below the emitting tip of the laser to a point directly below the center of the laer beam where it strikes the opposite wall...
So, at least in C, while the line must be drawn to where the laser will hit on the wall, that is not necessarily where the target will be. A bit of an unorthodox move on the part of the state, but from what the rules say it sounds perfectly legal.

Does that make sense?

Yes, thank you. I had not read this anywhere in the rules about how they could move the target and when we tried to adjust our setup in 4 minutes..... we were about 36 cm off due to the rush and ended up not doing so well. But this does help. Thanks again.

Return to “2012 Lab Events”