Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by Schrodingerscat »

JSGandora wrote:So how many mirrors are people using? We're going to try to use 5.
I debated this heavily prior to state. My eventual conclusion from our experience practicing was that a simply and stable four mirror configuration was worth sacrificing the last mirror when he had to shoot the laser all the way across the box (eg barrier very near both target and laser) but we used our full 5 mirror design (a simple two right angles at one end and an N shaped reflection at the other end) in a situation when we could position all our mirrors near each other. Otherwise we had frequent significant misses.
SciBomb97
Division: C
State: AL
Been thanked: 0

Post by SciBomb97 »

I guess it depends on the quality of the box and the mirrors they give you. Some configurations allow for easy targeting even with five mirrors, but other times it's hard to even get 1 mirror aligned on the template.
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
JSGandora
State: NJ

Post by JSGandora »

For the tournaments you guys have been to, did significant figures affect whether or not your answer was correct? Do you think this will be true for Nationals?
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

JSGandora wrote:For the tournaments you guys have been to, did significant figures affect whether or not your answer was correct? Do you think this will be true for Nationals?
No to both of those, if Chalker is grading, that is. He's usually pretty lenient on things such as that.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
DivineBbbbbeast
State: OH

Post by DivineBbbbbeast »

chalker wont be running optics though, since he will be in the grading room, so it depends on what the event supervisor says.
Solon High School Class of 2014
Vanderbilt University Class of 2018

2012 Nats: 1st Thermodynamics, 7th Fermi Questions, 28th LoLptics
2013 Nats: 2nd Thermodynamics, 8th Remote Sensing, 9th Fermi Questions
2014 Moral Support :P
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

The supervisor may not necessarily grade the tests though...
FawnOnyx
State: MN

Post by FawnOnyx »

Should we study the Fresnel Equations that deal with reflectance and transmittance? They're sort of tied to refraction.
Mounds View Science Olympiad Alumnus, 2011-2014
MIT Science Olympiad Volunteer
hftf
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MD

Post by hftf »

I have been meaning to share this for quite a long time, but I have unfortunately kept postponing posting for various reasons. Since Nationals is imminent, and as far as I am aware, Optics does not appear to be returning as an event next year, it would serve very little purpose for me to wait any longer. So without further delay, here is the new addition to the Optics resources that I released last year.

Virtual laser* shoot
* Lately-announced Awesome Self-Explanatory Resource

It has only been tested heavily in Google Chrome, and I do not expect it to work in anything but the most modern browsers. Many thanks to everyone who helped out during its development, and especially to foreverphysics for the initial motivation.

Go try it out and let me know what you think! I give extra credit for cool screenshots.
Ophir Lifshitz
University of Maryland '15
Walter Johnson High School '11

Nats 2011: Optics (15th), Forensics (12th), Astronomy (15th), Tech Prob Solving (8th)
State 2011: Optics (1st), Forensics (1st), Astronomy (2nd), Tech Prob Solving (1st)
State 2010: Picture This (1st), It's About Time (1st), Forensics (1st), CompuBots (1st)
Created SORA, FantaSO, and some awesome Optics and Picture This resources!
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

You finally posted it! Yay!
I recommend you guys use this. I've been using this thing for a while (since it was in beta) and it's...great. Really, really great.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
lakersfan2012
State: MI

Post by lakersfan2012 »

How many teams ended up using 5 mirrors at the laser shoot?
My user name is proof I was a Lakers fan before LeBron

4 years Div C - WI
6 years coaching - WI
1 year coaching (and counting) - MI

Return to “2012 Lab Events”