Optics B/C

JSGandora
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by JSGandora »

Oh, funny. I changed that purposely because after glancing at the problem statement, I thought I had the wrong numbers. In that case, Infinity Flat is correct, and this is the Wolfram Alpha link:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=5s ... %29*10%5E6
2win
State: TX

Post by 2win »

When the rules say you can't mark on or modify the LSS, does that count barriers?

Like, what if my template requires lifting a barrier to put the template underneath, but I would put the barrier back exactly in its place... is that allowed?
k-tx. retiring from scioly.
Infinity Flat
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

JSGandora wrote:Oh, funny. I changed that purposely because after glancing at the problem statement, I thought I had the wrong numbers. In that case, Infinity Flat is correct, and this is the Wolfram Alpha link:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=5s ... %29*10%5E6
Alright, great.
While we're on topic, was everything else on the test OK? Aside from being a bit on the difficult side. :P
2win wrote:When the rules say you can't mark on or modify the LSS, does that count barriers?

Like, what if my template requires lifting a barrier to put the template underneath, but I would put the barrier back exactly in its place... is that allowed?
You cannot touch the barriers.
Instead, you need to design your template in such a way that it goes around the barriers. Alternatively, you can cut a hole in it at the competition for the barriers to go through.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
JSGandora

Post by JSGandora »

Incidentally, the Camas test that I took (a couple months back) looked nothing like the link it is now. So...I'll take that soon and I'll get back to you.
cngu23
State: MD

Post by cngu23 »

JSGandora wrote:Incidentally, the Camas test that I took (a couple months back) looked nothing like the link it is now. So...I'll take that soon and I'll get back to you.
The test was for division B.

For the question on speed of light, I think that the answer should be zero because light cannot pass through certain solid materials, so it would have a speed of zero?

And for the last question about total internal reflection, what are the requirements for that to occur. Just sin(theta) equals 1?
1.75sin(59) = 1.52sin(theta)
For total internal reflection to occur, do both sides have to be equal, with one side being theta = 90?
Marriotts Ridge 11-
Walter Johnson 09-11

13 MD Regional/State
Material S (2/-) TPS (-/2)
12 MD Regional/State
Remote S(2/6) Water Q(2/4) Optics (-/5)
11 MD Regional
Remote S(2) Eco(2) D Planet(3)
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

Well, the formula for the critical angle is this:
So...solve with that, I suppose. I don't know what the last question was, so all I can do is give you a formula.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
JSGandora

Post by JSGandora »

Well first use that formula to find the critical angle. Then all incidence angles greater than that will totally internally reflect (if I may).
Seracon
State: MN

Post by Seracon »

Another questions about Thin Films;
A silicon monoxide thin film (n=1.45) with thickness 90nm is applied to a camera lens made of glass (n=1.55). This will result in destructive interference for reflected light of what wavelength?
Thanks again!
MN Geologic Mapping Regional & State Coordinator
Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational Co-Chair (Div B)
http://sciolyumn.wordpress.com/about/
cngu23
State: MD

Post by cngu23 »

Seracon wrote:Another questions about Thin Films;
A silicon monoxide thin film (n=1.45) with thickness 90nm is applied to a camera lens made of glass (n=1.55). This will result in destructive interference for reflected light of what wavelength?
Thanks again!
31.03 nm? I'm not very sure, but just for the silicon monoxide, destructive interference occurs at even intervals so it should occur at Lambda/2n
Marriotts Ridge 11-
Walter Johnson 09-11

13 MD Regional/State
Material S (2/-) TPS (-/2)
12 MD Regional/State
Remote S(2/6) Water Q(2/4) Optics (-/5)
11 MD Regional
Remote S(2) Eco(2) D Planet(3)
Seracon
State: MN

Post by Seracon »

cngu23 wrote:
Seracon wrote:Another questions about Thin Films;
Thanks again!
31.03 nm? I'm not very sure, but just for the silicon monoxide, destructive interference occurs at even intervals so it should occur at Lambda/2n
Yeah, I'm not sure if having the index of refraction for the camera lens affects anything or not.
MN Geologic Mapping Regional & State Coordinator
Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational Co-Chair (Div B)
http://sciolyumn.wordpress.com/about/

Return to “2012 Lab Events”