Protein Modeling C

kalithepianist
Division: C
State: AZ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by kalithepianist »

Has anyone happened to submit a clarification yet?
derp
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I submitted one. I simplified the question to only refer to the Jmol, and then in additional comments I made further explanation with the PDB. I though a simplified question would work better for supervisors who might be unaware of the mistake and/or were thrown in to supervising and were not very experienced.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Dragonshark
State: WI

Post by Dragonshark »

I apologize if this question has already been asked before, but does anyone know what the approximate diameter of an alpha helix on a model (made from the Toobers) should be?
Nathan Hale HS SciO
2011 - Regionals/States: Anat/Phys [1/1!!!], Chem Lab [1/2]
2012 - Regionals/States: Chem Lab [1/6 >_< ], Forensics [2/1!!!], Protein [1/2], Team [9]
2013 - A/P, Chem Lab, 4N6, TPS, C/A (trial)
akatsuki9

Post by akatsuki9 »

I just wound it around my finger and adjusted it so the helix started and ended at the appropriate amino acids...
Quoth the raven... "NEVERMORE"
paradoxgirl

Post by paradoxgirl »

Just a thought, must creative additions be attached to the model? At some competitions last year, teams came with text on their models giving more information than their notecards stated. At one competition, a team came with a tri-fold board covered in diagrams and text.
Harriton High School Science Olympiad
Diana
Division: B
State: NY

Post by Diana »

Does anyone have a 2012 Protien test?
98% of scioly members have a signature, copy and paste this if you are part of the 2% who... wait... never mind.
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

paradoxgirl wrote:Just a thought, must creative additions be attached to the model? At some competitions last year, teams came with text on their models giving more information than their notecards stated. At one competition, a team came with a tri-fold board covered in diagrams and text.
It depends on the supervisor, but I believe that most event supervisors want creative additions to the model itself, rather than additional text explaining it. I would stay away from extra text, personally. The idea is to build a model that tells the protein's "molecular story", and it should speak for itself, with just the notecard by way of explanation.

I actually did use a text-based addition at Nationals last year, and I don't know whether or not it got me any points. But it's not really in the spirit of the prebuild, and I won't be doing that this year. It was a pretty last-minute thing, when we couldn't think of another good addition (although I wish I'd thought of adding a nucleosome; ah well). You should be able to see my model from last year (including this text thing) on the image gallery pretty soon, but I don't really recommend emulating that part of it at least.
Diana wrote:Does anyone have a 2012 Protien test?
Probably not. It might be possible to find an unofficial one from an invitational or something, but I'm fairly sure that no official MSOE tests are released until the end of the competition season.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
gigaboo
State: UT

Post by gigaboo »

I know that this is probably a completely stupid question, but what are the structures from 221-225 and 270-274 in Chain A and from 314-318 in Chain B? The sequence structure shows them as helices, but they don't quite line up with the amino acids that Jmol displays. And if they are non-alpha helices, then how are they folded? Sorry again from the stupid post.
ghazaly
State: NJ

Post by ghazaly »

hey all!
when folding the pre build model, we notice chain b is supposed to start at 310, but the jmol begins at 320...is there something wrong with out jmol, or is there something wrong with the protien labeling diagram? has anyone had this problem? we just noticed this discrepancy and dont know how to fix it, any help is greatly appreciated
thanks!
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by AlphaTauri »

You are using the 1i3o file from PDB, right? Unless there's something really screwy with Jmol, it should start at 310. If "restrict *b" doesn't work, you can always try "restrict 310-401".
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

Return to “2012 Lab Events”