Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by Phenylethylamine » May 13th, 2012, 7:08 am

TheWiseGirl wrote:
EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:The numbers refer to the mass of each monomer is kilodaltons (kDa). You are correct in that they're a way to differentiate the monomers.
Thank you! :) Also, thanks for sharing pictures of your prebuild!
And now for another question, this one having to do with XIAP. Does anyone know what Arginine 233 does? I read something where Asp.148 of XIAP bonds to Arginine 233; does this just keep the structure of the protein?
The ASP148/ARG233 salt bridge helps to lock XIAP against the binding cavity of caspase-3. It also helps maintain the shape of XIAP itself, of course, but by having an ionic bond between two residues that extend into the binding cleft from opposite sides, the binding position of XIAP in that cavity is stabilized.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009

TheWiseGirl
State: WA

Post by TheWiseGirl » May 13th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Phenylethylamine wrote: The ASP148/ARG233 salt bridge helps to lock XIAP against the binding cavity of caspase-3. It also helps maintain the shape of XIAP itself, of course, but by having an ionic bond between two residues that extend into the binding cleft from opposite sides, the binding position of XIAP in that cavity is stabilized.
That makes sense; Thanks Phenyl!! :)
I'm quirky like a quark.

kalithepianist
Division: C
State: AZ

Post by kalithepianist » May 18th, 2012, 12:26 pm

Urgent! We lost one of our blue end caps >< are we allowed to paint it?
derp

TheWiseGirl

Post by TheWiseGirl » May 18th, 2012, 1:11 pm

kalithepianist wrote:Urgent! We lost one of our blue end caps >< are we allowed to paint it?
Yes, just make sure you label it on your notecard.
And I have a few extras if you want it! Just send me a PM if you do... I'm staying in the dorms.
I'm quirky like a quark.

Helicase
Division: C
State: ID

Post by Helicase » May 22nd, 2012, 8:52 am

So I ended up only getting 7th in my competition =(
I was going to ask if anyone knew what protein would be next year's model, then I read the replies and it's going to be replaced? Sad day )=
But- Good news is it'll be replaced by food science/genes!!! And that's what I'm most interested in. I want to be a Biochemist/agronomic genomist, and this looks like the same field! I will certainly prepare early next year- I want to place!

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » May 22nd, 2012, 9:22 am

It's going to be replaced by Food Science (or possibly Materials Science). Heredity/Genes is replacing Microbe Mission. For me, neither of these really strikes me like Protein did, though Food Science seems intriguing.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Phenylethylamine » May 22nd, 2012, 2:38 pm

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:It's going to be replaced by Food Science (or possibly Materials Science). Heredity/Genes is replacing Microbe Mission. For me, neither of these really strikes me like Protein did, though Food Science seems intriguing.
It's pretty much nitpicking to say which event is replacing which other event... Microbe and Protein are, together, being replaced by Designer Genes and Food Science, both of which sound like fantastic events that I'd love to do (I did Food Sci back in B Division, but looking at this year's B Div rules, it looks like they've changed it a lot, and for the better).
--

Infinity Flat

Post by Infinity Flat » May 22nd, 2012, 11:45 pm

Phenylethylamine wrote:
EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:It's going to be replaced by Food Science (or possibly Materials Science). Heredity/Genes is replacing Microbe Mission. For me, neither of these really strikes me like Protein did, though Food Science seems intriguing.
It's pretty much nitpicking to say which event is replacing which other event... Microbe and Protein are, together, being replaced by Designer Genes and Food Science, both of which sound like fantastic events that I'd love to do (I did Food Sci back in B Division, but looking at this year's B Div rules, it looks like they've changed it a lot, and for the better).
Technically Proteins fits under the "Chemistry" category of events while Microbes fits under the "Life Science" category... but again, that's just nitpicking.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Phenylethylamine » May 23rd, 2012, 3:19 am

Infinity Flat wrote:
Phenylethylamine wrote:
Technically Proteins fits under the "Chemistry" category of events while Microbes fits under the "Life Science" category... but again, that's just nitpicking.
I was referring to Designer Genes as Protein's successor because, come on, look at the subject material: what's more apropos to proteins than genetics? Also, the Protein supervisor referred to it that way :-P (in fact, she may have been implying that MSOE will have some involvement with Designer Genes, but I'm not sure – it was ambiguous at best in conversation, and there doesn't seem to be any reference to it anywhere).
--

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » May 23rd, 2012, 8:47 am

True. I always though of Food Science replacing Protein since they're both more hands-on. Nobody's referring to MagLev replacing Protein, though. :roll:
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Return to “2012 Lab Events”