Technical Problem Solving C

cngu23
Division: C
State: MD
Has thanked: 0

Re: Technical Problem Solving C

Post by cngu23 »

nkprasad12 wrote:So I don't need to memorize countless equations?
How does one prepare for this then?
Do practice problems relating to physics and chemistry and also some general math problems relating to geometry and volume calculation. Scroll through the test bank section to view past tests. You don't have to memorize the formulas but be sure to know them and how to use them.
Marriotts Ridge 11-
Walter Johnson 09-11

13 MD Regional/State
Material S (2/-) TPS (-/2)
12 MD Regional/State
Remote S(2/6) Water Q(2/4) Optics (-/5)
11 MD Regional
Remote S(2) Eco(2) D Planet(3)
gigaboo
State: UT
Been thanked: 0

Post by gigaboo »

Does anyone know where I can find problems relating to this year's rules? I've found what's on soinc.org, but there really isn't much information. This event just seems hard to know how you will do in relation to other teams.
cngu23
State: MD

Post by cngu23 »

gigaboo wrote:Does anyone know where I can find problems relating to this year's rules? I've found what's on soinc.org, but there really isn't much information. This event just seems hard to know how you will do in relation to other teams.
It's a really broad event, and almost any problems relating to physics or chemistry may appear. They may give you a random shaped object and with a ruler, ask you to estimate the volume or surface area.
Marriotts Ridge 11-
Walter Johnson 09-11

13 MD Regional/State
Material S (2/-) TPS (-/2)
12 MD Regional/State
Remote S(2/6) Water Q(2/4) Optics (-/5)
11 MD Regional
Remote S(2) Eco(2) D Planet(3)
gigaboo
State: UT

Post by gigaboo »

How important will significant figures be? Do most event coordinators judge on that, or would it be better to give more exact answers?
butter side up
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by butter side up »

gigaboo wrote:How important will significant figures be? Do most event coordinators judge on that, or would it be better to give more exact answers?
Sig figs are really important. We typically report each answer or step with correct sig figs, but continue to do your calculations with the full numbers in your calculator to get the most accurate final answer possible.
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

gigaboo wrote:How important will significant figures be? Do most event coordinators judge on that, or would it be better to give more exact answers?
Note that your "more exact answers" are not actually any more exact (by which I think you mean precise) than if you give the correct significant figures. Significant figures exist for a reason: they are all the precision you actually have in your measurements. Any additional digits are meaningless, because you simply haven't measured to that level of precision.

For example, if you measure one side of a rectangle to be 1.7 cm long, and the other side to be 4.3 cm long, you can multiply those values to get that the area is 7.31 cm^2 – but that 1 there in the hundredths digit is meaningless. Your original measurements weren't precise enough to tell if it's actually 7.28 cm^2 or 7.34 cm^2 or anywhere in that range, so the best you can do – the most exact answer you can give – is that the area is 7.3 cm^2.

If that doesn't give you an intuitive feel for why significant figures are actually meaningful (and not just some set of rules we have to follow to make our answers look nice or something), imagine that after the 2010 census, the US government announced that the population of the United States was 312,950,746 people. Do you really think they know the population to the nearest individual person? Maybe they know to the nearest thousand people (which is still a pretty impressive feat, given how hard it is to count population), but it's clearly ridiculous that they could come up with a meaningful number all the way out to the units digit.

Now let's say their method of conducting the census gave them a bunch of other data that they then combined to get the total number, and let's say this data was in a form that, when all multiplied and added together with exact numbers, gave them that value of 312,950,746. This is where significant figures come in. Knowing that their original data only contained, say, six figures of precision, they would know that 312,950,746 – while probably in the ballpark of the exact value – was not a meaningful way of representing the population of the United States based on their census count. If their original data had six figures of precision, they could say that there were about 312,951,000 people in the United States (thank you, Wikipedia), meaning that there were anywhere from 312,950,500 to 312,951,499 people in the United States at the time of the census.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
eta150

Post by eta150 »

I've got a couple of questions for people with more experience in this event:
1. What is packing constant, and how do you use it? I'm talking about marbles in a jar questions
2. If they ask you to make a shape out of some material to get it as close as possible to a certain weight, should you have a density memorized? Or is there some other way?
#ACESWILD
Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

1. I would assume that the packing constant would be the ratio of the volume of marbles to the volume of a cluster of marbles. so if they had a 0.75 packing constant, a 100cm^3 jar would contain 75cm^3 of marbles and the rest air.
2. You should not (if run ideally) need to have any densities or constants memorized, as they should either be provided or available to be measured using providing equipment.
nendawen

Post by nendawen »

For technical problem solving do they have use TI probes at the regional competition?
Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

nendawen wrote:For technical problem solving do they have use TI probes at the regional competition?
The rules only appear to require probes at state level and above, although the topics are limited at all levels.

Return to “2012 Lab Events”