Write It Do It B/C

BoldlyGoingNowhere
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by BoldlyGoingNowhere »

You may find it helpful to write out an exact list of what your partner will use at the top.
For example:
You will use one blue circle piece of paper, one green lego, one orange plastic fork, etc.
They can take away everything you have, but they can't take your ability to fight.
Gemma W
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Gemma W »

BoldlyGoingNowhere wrote:You may find it helpful to write out an exact list of what your partner will use at the top.
For example:
You will use one blue circle piece of paper, one green lego, one orange plastic fork, etc.
This is true provided that there aren't a huge number of pieces; if there are you may want to do this at the end instead if there is time. It also works better for pieces that repeat.
2015 events: WIDI, Protein Modeling, Geomapping, Chem Lab

2014 events: WIDI, Geomapping, Materials Science, Food Science
2013 events: WIDI, Mousetrap Vehicle, Heredity, Food Science, Metric Mastery

Best ever place: Nationals, 3rd in WIDI
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

BoldlyGoingNowhere wrote:You may find it helpful to write out an exact list of what your partner will use at the top.
For example:
This is especially a good idea when the there are spares in the material pile. That way your partner knows how many of each item there are.
lovesparkles417
State: MO

Post by lovesparkles417 »

Hi! I have a question because my partner for the Write it Do it challenge is convinced that after one person writes and one person does, they switch and the doer writes and the writer does in the actually challenge!? I don't think this is true and all the stuff on the website doesn't say the switch. Can anyone answer my question?[/size][/size] :?
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

You, not your partner, are correct. At competition, one person writes, the other "does". No switch (unless your coach decides to switch competitors at the last minute or something strange like that).
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
lovesparkles417
State: MO

Post by lovesparkles417 »

Thanks for clearing that up! I will be doing and my partner will be wriying. So excited for March!
quizbowl

Post by quizbowl »

I always wondered - let's say you faced the contraption from one direction, let's say looking North to South, and wrote about it. If your partner built it from North to South, but the entire thing was meant to be facing South to North, would you lose points? The only thing I see here is that it would be rotated 180 degrees; is that a point deduction? And if so, would you lose points for each individual piece, or merely just a point for the overall rotation?
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

quizbowl wrote:I always wondered - let's say you faced the contraption from one direction, let's say looking North to South, and wrote about it. If your partner built it from North to South, but the entire thing was meant to be facing South to North, would you lose points? The only thing I see here is that it would be rotated 180 degrees; is that a point deduction? And if so, would you lose points for each individual piece, or merely just a point for the overall rotation?
If one contraption is sitting on the writers' table with a bunch of writers all facing it from different angles (so that Bob sees the blue block as being north, Sally sees it as east, etc.) then the writers build as they see it and the builders build as described. So, the judges will see contraptions with the blue block on all four sides... Nobody is expecting a writer or doer to mentally rotate the contraption...
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
Nutterz4writing
State: IN

Post by Nutterz4writing »

mnstrviola wrote:
For example:
This is especially a good idea when the there are spares in the material pile. That way your partner knows how many of each item there are.
Be careful though, sometimes that's too time consuming. 9 times out of 10 you are better off not listing the materials.
I'm addicted to dessert flavored gum... and I couldn't be happier :)

2008 Events: Ecology, Exp. Design, Fermi, Write It/Do It
2009 Events: Ecology, Write It/Do It
2010 Events: Ecology, Write It/Do It
2011 Events: Ecology, Optics, Write It/Do It
FueL

Post by FueL »

quizbowl wrote:I always wondered - let's say you faced the contraption from one direction, let's say looking North to South, and wrote about it. If your partner built it from North to South, but the entire thing was meant to be facing South to North, would you lose points? The only thing I see here is that it would be rotated 180 degrees; is that a point deduction? And if so, would you lose points for each individual piece, or merely just a point for the overall rotation?
I highly doubt that would ever be an issue. I don't know for sure but I think in some competitions the doer has to physically run their structure to the proctor when they're done since time is a tiebreaker, so the original rotation is lost anyway.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

Return to “2012 Lab Events”