Has thanked: 0

Write It Do It B/C

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for Write It Do It B/C.

Write It Do It Wiki
Image Gallery
2010 Thread
2011 Thread
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
Cheesy Pie
Division: Grad
State: MI
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by Cheesy Pie »

So, it's wise to get used to being both the writer and the builder.
Also, think like your partner. If you're the writer, think, "What will they think when they read this?" As the builder, think, "What were they thinking of when they wrote this?" Also, get to know them. It will come in handy so you can know how they think.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
haverstall
State: MN

Post by haverstall »

Oral WIDI are also a great idea, because you learn more about your partners thought process. It especially helps when trying to describe objects. Also, because of the ability to ask each other questions about what the partner is describing/building, you get more insight into how the partner works. Not to mention it's faster than normal WIDI practice.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
TheBookworm
Division: C
State: FL

Post by TheBookworm »

For all of you guys starting out in this event, my main piece of advice is: KNOW YOUR PARTNER!!!! My best friend and I competed at state last year and although we had only practice about five times since August, we managed to scrape 2nd place (pure dumb luck, I know). Also, the writers should make the instructions as detailed as possible. If not, you probably wont get far (in my experience). Oh and writers, work on writing fast because your handwriting sucks and then us doers can't do anything.
The ladder of success is never crowded at the top. And I'm at the bottom
Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

Specify color, dimensions, and orientation of each piece.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
Gemma W
State: NY

Post by Gemma W »

Most of these things are on the wiki, so make sure to look at that. It's very useful.
2015 events: WIDI, Protein Modeling, Geomapping, Chem Lab

2014 events: WIDI, Geomapping, Materials Science, Food Science
2013 events: WIDI, Mousetrap Vehicle, Heredity, Food Science, Metric Mastery

Best ever place: Nationals, 3rd in WIDI
XXGeneration
State: NJ

Post by XXGeneration »

TheBookworm wrote:For all of you guys starting out in this event, my main piece of advice is: KNOW YOUR PARTNER!!!! My best friend and I competed at state last year and although we had only practice about five times since August, we managed to scrape 2nd place (pure dumb luck, I know). Also, the writers should make the instructions as detailed as possible. If not, you probably wont get far (in my experience). Oh and writers, work on writing fast because your handwriting sucks and then us doers can't do anything.
This sounds like my story; literally the weekend before states, I found out that my partner was changed from the person I practiced with to a person I wasn't very familiar with. We practiced maybe twice before states.

At states, I decided that because my partner was not used to my style of writing, I would not use code at all and would just write really fast. After I finished writing it I even wrote out a little checklist on parts that she could have very easily missed. I wasn't focused on my partner finishing extra fast, just accurately.

Somehow, we got 1st place. Everyone on our team was like "lolwut"

So basically my advice is that even without a well planned out code you can do well. I always wrote out a brief description of the object like "the structure looks like a cube with 3 branches" or something. Write as clearly as possible, and when you're done if you have time you'll want to read over your directions and see how they could be open to misinterpretation.
haverstall
State: MN

Post by haverstall »

Another thing I would suggest is practice, practice, practice. And make sure to practice difficult and race builds.

My partner and I made the mistake of only practicing difficult builds before Nationals. While this meant that her directions were very detailed, they weren't concise. And my fault, as the doer, wasn't recognizing that the build was a race build, and so I painstakingly went through the directions, instead of speed-reading my way through it.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
FueL
State: NY

Post by FueL »

Gemma W wrote:Most of these things are on the wiki, so make sure to look at that. It's very useful.
This. I don't think a single thing has been mentioned that isn't on the wiki page. :P
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
sweetcoop
State: CO

Post by sweetcoop »

TheBookworm wrote:For all of you guys starting out in this event, my main piece of advice is: KNOW YOUR PARTNER!!!! My best friend and I competed at state last year and although we had only practice about five times since August, we managed to scrape 2nd place (pure dumb luck, I know). Also, the writers should make the instructions as detailed as possible. If not, you probably wont get far (in my experience). Oh and writers, work on writing fast because your handwriting sucks and then us doers can't do anything.
Best advice ever, my WIDI partner last year was someone I knew from the martial art that we both did, I actually will admit that she did come to school a couple of times after class with a black eye that I gave her at class. The only practice that we had was the invitational and the regional comps, and we only managed to take 1st at the state comp.

I have actually medaled three times in this event, twice at state, once as the writer, and twice as the builder. The best advice as the builder is if you feel you have the time, and the model felt really easy, or was an easy material, it won't hurt to go through and re-read the instructions to make sure you have the model built as you interpret the instructions. As a builder I found that if you still have a some to write and 1 minute left is call, just try to put down enough information that your partner should understand what you are trying to say.

Another tip is that colour is only important if the person running the event says it it, this is usually at the state comps as I have never had a regional comp where the colours of the parts actually mattered.
ImageImage
The 10 most important two letter words.
If it is to be, it is up to me

Return to “2012 Lab Events”