Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Compute This B

Post by Skink »

Alright, like anything else in Science Olympiad, it's supervisor-dependent since hundreds of supervisors nationwide will write tests differently. The State supervisor in Illinois said he writes that way. I guess consider yourself lucky? The reason it it's too easy otherwise...
EpicFailure
State: WI
Been thanked: 0

Post by EpicFailure »

What's a good way to split up the work for this event? What we've tried to do is to have one person (Person A) read the rubric (introduction + graph stuff) while the other person (Person B) is doing the short answer questions first, and then Person A helps the Person B with the short answer questions. After the questions, Person B then reads the rubric while Person A starts on the graph. Person B then helps Person A with the graph. It was kind of hard with two people at one computer, so any suggestions on strategies?
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

What my partner and I did when I competed in this (back in the good ol' days), we would always start with finding the data and doing the graphing - our reasoning being that there was a fair chunk of points for the data/graph alone, and that on average, we'd earn more points from having the data/graph and maybe not answering 1-2 short response than answering all the short response and not having the data/graph.

After that, we'd go for the short answer. Just go through them one by one; if there was one we couldn't find within a minute or two, we'd skip it and come back to it later. If we still had time left after we'd answered them all, we'd double check all of our work (including data/graph).

Of course, our plan got shot to pieces by the 2010 PA States test...hardly anyone could even find the data, so we went for the short response first. (We did manage to find it about 2 minutes from the end, but it was too late to graph by that point!)

We didn't really divide up the work that much, because...well, as you said, there's only one computer. It does help time-wise on short response if you/your partner can speed-read, though.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
Tine
Division: B
State: TX

Post by Tine »

AlphaTauri wrote:What my partner and I did when I competed in this (back in the good ol' days), we would always start with finding the data and doing the graphing - our reasoning being that there was a fair chunk of points for the data/graph alone, and that on average, we'd earn more points from having the data/graph and maybe not answering 1-2 short response than answering all the short response and not having the data/graph.

After that, we'd go for the short answer. Just go through them one by one; if there was one we couldn't find within a minute or two, we'd skip it and come back to it later. If we still had time left after we'd answered them all, we'd double check all of our work (including data/graph).

Of course, our plan got shot to pieces by the 2010 PA States test...hardly anyone could even find the data, so we went for the short response first. (We did manage to find it about 2 minutes from the end, but it was too late to graph by that point!)

We didn't really divide up the work that much, because...well, as you said, there's only one computer. It does help time-wise on short response if you/your partner can speed-read, though.
At an invitational, my partner and I also did this, and we did pretty well (2nd place out of 26 teams at our first competition). The challenge is that we then only had about 10 minutes for six short-answer questions. It is a trade-off: you can either hope to get maximum points from the graph and do it first, or decide to do the short-answer questions first. You have a little less time to do the graph, but you can be sure of getting the short-answer questions correct. The problem with the latter approach is that sometimes you can use your graph to answer some of the short-answer questions, so you would be finding the same information twice.
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

I would think that a good middle ground would be to decide to go for the data/graph first (unless the data or graph seems to be excessively complicated), and if you can't find it in ~5 minutes, do the short answer first instead.

Although I do see your point in going for the short answer first, since those are typically easier to find than the data. The only problem is that there are 5 of them, so you have to find all 5 to get full credit for that part (and there's no guarantee you'll be able to find all 5 with enough time left to do the data/graph) while there's only one chunk of data.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
Sherry Berry
State: MO

Post by Sherry Berry »

We always do the graph/data first because it seems more important.
But if the halfway mark has passed on the clock (aka around 20 minutes or so?) then we switch to short answer questions, which we do as fast as we can, then go back to graph/data.
"No man can resist these lumps."
Plasmax123
State: IL

Post by Plasmax123 »

Can someone please give me a clarification regarding the rules for websites :?: Thank You.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Plasmax123 wrote:Can someone please give me a clarification regarding the rules for websites :?: Thank You.
What are you specifically looking to be clarified?

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
rab 666
State: CA

Post by rab 666 »

This year's topic epidemiology is pretty hard.
They just throw you different kinds of random sickness and ask you to find info on them.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
NYLHVSSO
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by NYLHVSSO »

I find it easy when compared to other domains (NOAA, USGS). I just placed 1st in Compute This and I think that was easy compared to practices on other domains which I found very confusing. This is my first year in this event though, so you could probably find more detailed information from experienced competitors.
2014 New York City Div C Regionals
2012 New York Div B States
2012 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
2011 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals

Return to “2012 Lab Events”