Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Compute This B

Post by AlphaTauri »

From PA SO's website:
March 19, 2012 - To All Coaches:
From Campus Technology Services - For Compute This in vL - 2073 you have a choice of using a Mac or PC operating system. For the Mac it is OS 10.6 with Office 2011 and for the PC it is Windows 7 and Office 2010.
For Protein Modeling in vL - 1090 the computers are all PC's running Windows 7 and Office 2010.
From what I personally remember (this is from two years ago, mind you), some of the computers in vL-2073 are slower than molasses. Hopefully they've rectified that by now, because we started 20 minutes late, which resulted in many of us either having to leave early or being late for our next events, because the previous group had had computer problems...
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
Lady Epidemic
Division: B
State: OH
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lady Epidemic »

Anyone in Ohio going to States:
Compute This is requiring that everyone competing send in the name, date of birth, and email address OF EACH KID in order to compete. I think it's wrong that they're asking personal information of kids, but anyway, just wanted to warn everyone in case their coaches didn't get the memo that the info is supposed to be out at the earliest, preferably tonight. Thanks! :)
(Good luck on Saturday, by the way)
"The stars are beautiful because of a flower that cannot be seen." ='( -Le Petite Prince
Wright State/Magsig/Piqua Regionals/Ohio State
Disease Detectives - 3/3/2/1
Mousetrap -/-/1/9
Dynamic -/-/3/6
WIDI -/-/-/4
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Lady Epidemic wrote:Anyone in Ohio going to States:
Compute This is requiring that everyone competing send in the name, date of birth, and email address OF EACH KID in order to compete. I think it's wrong that they're asking personal information of kids, but anyway, just wanted to warn everyone in case their coaches didn't get the memo that the info is supposed to be out at the earliest, preferably tonight. Thanks! :)
(Good luck on Saturday, by the way)
I suspect this is an OSU policy that couldn't be gotten around. This is the first I've heard of it, and I'll get more details in the morning, but I do know that the campus wide IT group has really clamped down recently on wide open access to anyone. So the tradeoff is likely either don't run the event, or issue individual accounts to all the competitors based upon some unique identifying information.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

Am I right to say that Compute This is not coming back next year?
jcreeps27
Division: C
State: PA

Post by jcreeps27 »

I just got back from our States in PA. I did compute this and we found all of the information with all of the URL's and graph titles and everything. I was so excited for a medal. Turned out that we saved the graphs to the right place but not the Word document, so we got dead last :cry: . O well, I'll redeem myself at Nationals. ;)
"Science is about the insatiable craving for knowledge"

- Me
hpfananu
Division: C
State: TX

Post by hpfananu »

Has anyone found data on CDC that is cross referenced in two places or more but it's slightly different? I was looking around a few days ago and I found some data that was listed as 34.1 percent or something in one source but 34.2 in another. Do you think this could happen at nationals?
Materials Science|Water Quality|Disease Detectives
Sleep is for the Weak: SLHS SO 2012-2013
TAMS 2013-2014
ThornStone
State: ME

Post by ThornStone »

hpfananu wrote:Has anyone found data on CDC that is cross referenced in two places or more but it's slightly different? I was looking around a few days ago and I found some data that was listed as 34.1 percent or something in one source but 34.2 in another. Do you think this could happen at nationals?
if it's for nationals, wouldn't they make sure that there is only one possible answer for a question? it's my first year at nationals so idk.
starshine
State: NY

Post by starshine »

ThornStone wrote:
hpfananu wrote:Has anyone found data on CDC that is cross referenced in two places or more but it's slightly different? I was looking around a few days ago and I found some data that was listed as 34.1 percent or something in one source but 34.2 in another. Do you think this could happen at nationals?
if it's for nationals, wouldn't they make sure that there is only one possible answer for a question? it's my first year at nationals so idk.
If the event writer is the same as last year, I'm quite sure he will make the data sufficient and accessible. He probably won't have data that can be cross referenced that have different answers.
2010 (1), 2011 (4), 2012 (7), 2013 (1)
LoopQuantumGravity
State: ID

Post by LoopQuantumGravity »

mnstrviola wrote:Am I right to say that Compute This is not coming back next year?
Possibly, it's not on the schedule for the coaches' camp (see link: http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... 0-12_0.pdf).
aim4me26
State: CA

Post by aim4me26 »

LoopQuantumGravity wrote:
mnstrviola wrote:Am I right to say that Compute This is not coming back next year?
Possibly, it's not on the schedule for the coaches' camp (see link: http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... 0-12_0.pdf).
Darn. Compute This is my best event. :cry:
i know that i should be in bed
and its almost 3 am
but when i close my eyes i can only see miles of headlights
fleshing out the distance

Return to “2012 Lab Events”