Compute This B

EpicFailure
Division: C
State: WI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Compute This B

Post by EpicFailure »

Our State competition is this weekend. Does anyone have overall tips about this event? Also, is it true that when you look for a range of data, you shouldn't put the years in the search term?
The Strugglebear IV
Division: B
State: DE

Post by The Strugglebear IV »

isnt this linked to disease detectives, cuz i finished 3rd last year in dd
Struggle, struggle, struggle...strugglebear!
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

While many topics of Compute This will deal with diseases this year, doing well in one does not necessarily ensure success in the other. While the topics are similar, the events are actually very different. However, using the CDC website to study for Disease Detectives can give someone a good advantage in both events.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
Stormageddon
State: IL

Post by Stormageddon »

I actually don't find CDC that hard to navigate...
2012 Regionals-
Optics 1st
Compute This 1st
Bottle Rocket 4th
Reach for the Stars 3rd
sciolympian
State: DE

Post by sciolympian »

my partner and i made a website on google sites, and it came out way better than we thought. i guess u guys could make 1 2. it was pretty helpful
86F3TDNR
State: OH

Post by 86F3TDNR »

So this might be really, really late...

During an invitational (quite a while ago), we had to find data from two different sources, put it in a table, and graph it. We found one of the sources, but couldn't find the other one (we found some similar data, though). Short on time, we decided to graph what we already had, figuring we'd at least get half the points for accuracy and points for the formatting.
When we got the tests back, we found that we got 20/40 on the quantitative data part (which we expected). We also got 30/60 on the graphical data part, which surprised us. It seemed like they were grading ONLY based on the accuracy of the data, and the formatting didn't matter. Looking in the rules manual, in part 4b, it says that the "Completeness, Accuracy, and Format" is worth 30 points. I also vaguely remember another invitational where we got a LOT of points for basic things like Title, Axis, Readability of Graph, etc.

So my question is: How important is formatting? How many points should the formatting be worth? Because usually, if we can't find the data in time, we focus on graphing what we have, just to get the points for HAVING a graph. The rules don't really specify either, which makes me pretty nervous, going on to states. :?
noobforce
State: NJ

Post by noobforce »

86F3TDNR wrote:So this might be really, really late...

During an invitational (quite a while ago), we had to find data from two different sources, put it in a table, and graph it. We found one of the sources, but couldn't find the other one (we found some similar data, though). Short on time, we decided to graph what we already had, figuring we'd at least get half the points for accuracy and points for the formatting.
When we got the tests back, we found that we got 20/40 on the quantitative data part (which we expected). We also got 30/60 on the graphical data part, which surprised us. It seemed like they were grading ONLY based on the accuracy of the data, and the formatting didn't matter. Looking in the rules manual, in part 4b, it says that the "Completeness, Accuracy, and Format" is worth 30 points. I also vaguely remember another invitational where we got a LOT of points for basic things like Title, Axis, Readability of Graph, etc.

So my question is: How important is formatting? How many points should the formatting be worth? Because usually, if we can't find the data in time, we focus on graphing what we have, just to get the points for HAVING a graph. The rules don't really specify either, which makes me pretty nervous, going on to states. :?
During New Jersey States(First time and got 3rd), everything was pretty straightforward for me. What I would suggest is to get ALL the basic information first(e.g. quantitative data and graph information) and then worry about how it should get set up. Setting it up takes a lot less time than finding the information, so if you are pressed for time just start constructing your graph.
Paleofreakazoid
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by Paleofreakazoid »

Has anyone found any data in the CDC website that doesn't come up when you just search for it? Like, you have to click a ton of links to get there, e.g. ftp://ftp.cmdl.noaa.gov/ozwv/water_vapo ... 110324.txt for NOAA
Winston Churchill Middle School, class of 2011
Mira Loma High School, class of 2015
science_icecream

Post by science_icecream »

Paleofreakazoid wrote:Has anyone found any data in the CDC website that doesn't come up when you just search for it? Like, you have to click a ton of links to get there, e.g. ftp://ftp.cmdl.noaa.gov/ozwv/water_vapo ... 110324.txt for NOAA
Not really, I mean. If you search something it usually comes up. YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE "ALL CDC DOCUMENTS" circle checked, otherwise you don't get ALL of them. hope this helps ;)
~Science_Icecream

2011- 3rd Mission Possible, 10th Compute This
science_icecream

Post by science_icecream »

EpicFailure wrote:Our State competition is this weekend. Does anyone have overall tips about this event? Also, is it true that when you look for a range of data, you shouldn't put the years in the search term?
Put the year!!! And make sure you do the graphical problem first, unless you can't! It really helps. Guess if necessary, don't forget URLS! In the graph make sure you have a title: Who, What, Where and When! Use the find tool! (Control+F) Use specific wording when searching ex: What is the mental being of a person with the disease? Use the find and put in MENTAL! Hope this helps
~Science_Icecream

2011- 3rd Mission Possible, 10th Compute This

Return to “2012 Lab Events”