Science Crime Busters B

geekychic13
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Crime Busters B

Post by geekychic13 »

SOooooooooo...anyone here doing this event in illinois regionals??? cuz i am and im wondering if there will be burn tests this year...okay so you guys probably wont know that...but just wondering...and you can't burn plastics, you only get results, right? cuz last year we didnt have naything with burn tests but at state we did so...
GUESS WHAT???? I GOTS 1ST PLACE IN ALL MY EVENTS AT CONFERENCE!!!!
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Meteorology, Optics
:D
Jesus died for me.

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah, they were all yellow

-Yellow, by Coldplay
EpicFailure
Division: C
State: WI

Post by EpicFailure »

The only things you can burn are fibers (and usually with candles). The burn tests are not usually very hard, you just have to know that animal fibers smell like burning hair, burnt plant fibers look like burnt edges of paper and it smells like burning paper too, and synthetic fibers melt/curl after they're burnt and sometimes smell like burning plastic. If they're asking for natural vs. synthetic, you just have to remember that synthetic fibers melt/curl when they're burnt.
I think the reason that they don't allow you to burn plastic is because the odor might be harmful (?) and it's sort of dangerous.
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

Correct, most synthetic fibers "shrink" and curl away from the flame (excepting spandex, which I don't know is part of SCB anyways). If they ask you to identify individual kinds of fibers - like wool, cotton, nylon, linen, etc - it's easy to search something to the effect of "fibers burn test results" and pull together some info from the web.

And yeah, they don't allow you to burn plastics because some of them release all kinds of nasty carcinogens into the air...plus it's a bit of a mess to clean melted and re-solidified plastic off the lab tables.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
BruteForceRacer
State: CA

Post by BruteForceRacer »

Do you think I need to practice using powders,liquids,metals, etc? My coach hasn't brought in the materials yet and the invatational I'm going to is in two weeks
Regionals:Food Science 16th
Crimebusters 8th
Disease Detective 4th
EpicFailure

Post by EpicFailure »

BruteForceRacer wrote:Do you think I need to practice using powders,liquids,metals, etc? My coach hasn't brought in the materials yet and the invatational I'm going to is in two weeks
It's always helpful to go over (/put on the cheat sheet) the flowcharts/properties of powders/liquids/metals (found on the wiki) and research the common uses of these unknowns when you have time. Two weeks is always a lot shorter than it seems.
SciBomb97
State: AL

Post by SciBomb97 »

You know, having a lot of knowledge usually doesn't cut it in events like these. Until you actually try doing some of the tests, it's hard to get used to doing everything in the way you're supposed to. For instance, testing solubility is simply in theory, but having experience with how much of the substance and water to use is important.
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
geminicross
State: GA

Post by geminicross »

SciBomb97 wrote:You know, having a lot of knowledge usually doesn't cut it in events like these. Until you actually try doing some of the tests, it's hard to get used to doing everything in the way you're supposed to. For instance, testing solubility is simply in theory, but having experience with how much of the substance and water to use is important.
Yeah, though last year I was relying on my ability to see words in tiny font and 7th grade education to win. (3rd place wasn't too bad, considering I had no partner) The more things you already know, the more space for other things on your cheat sheet.

At least this year I was able to be prepared, Regionals should go over well.
EpicFailure

Post by EpicFailure »

It's good to have experience with the actual materials, but much of the test is written work & concepts - at least from the competitions I've been too. It's generally helpful to have an idea what the powders look like & their reactions, what the liquids smell like and view fibers/hairs under a microscope, but you wouldn't need that much lab experience. (Esp. fibers/hairs as most proctors like to get the pictures from the internet.) Also, a cheat sheet is VERY important. Being familiar with the lab part and having a poor, incomplete cheat sheet doesn't really get you anywhere.
outofsight13
State: CA

Post by outofsight13 »

At the competition, will we be given distilled water or tap water for testing?
EpicFailure

Post by EpicFailure »

outofsight13 wrote:At the competition, will we be given distilled water or tap water for testing?
Probably distilled water, as it says in the rules. We've tried with tap water before and the reactions weren't as clear.

Return to “2012 Lab Events”