Science Crime Busters B

LoopQuantumGravity
Division: B
State: ID
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Crime Busters B

Post by LoopQuantumGravity »

To answer your question, I always get those pH values when I do the tests.

Could some one help me on this:
What is the best way to tell the difference between NaCl and sugar if no microscope is provided? They didn't have one at state.
SciBomb97
Division: C
State: AL

Post by SciBomb97 »

You should have a handlens/magnifying glass in your crime kit (you're allowed to take one). Even at low magnification, it's apparent whether the crystals are all cubic or just similar to cubic. You should look at a sample of NaCl and a sample of sugar with a magnifying glass before going to competition, the difference is very apparent once you see them both.
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
ThornStone
State: ME

Post by ThornStone »

which of the liquids would be best used to clean a cut? and is rubbing alcohol more flammable than hydrogen peroxide?
LoopQuantumGravity

ThornStone wrote:which of the liquids would be best used to clean a cut? and is rubbing alcohol more flammable than hydrogen peroxide?
Hydrogen peroxide is commonly used to clean cuts.
Rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol is flammable, while hydrogen peroxide is not.
ThornStone
State: ME

Post by ThornStone »

LoopQuantumGravity wrote:
ThornStone wrote:which of the liquids would be best used to clean a cut? and is rubbing alcohol more flammable than hydrogen peroxide?
we were looking through old tests to prepare for nationals and we found a question that asked "which liquid fizzes when used to clean a cut?" and the answer is vinegar, so we weren't sure about the answer. and http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... leach.html says that hydrogen peroxide is highly flammable.
SciBomb97
State: AL

Post by SciBomb97 »

ThornStone wrote:
LoopQuantumGravity wrote:
we were looking through old tests to prepare for nationals and we found a question that asked "which liquid fizzes when used to clean a cut?" and the answer is vinegar, so we weren't sure about the answer. and http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... leach.html says that hydrogen peroxide is highly flammable.
Well, I'd think it's hydrogen peroxide. Have you ever had a cut and used hydrogen peroxide on it? You should try it sometime if you haven't, the first time I tried, it started fizzing so I was like uhh.... I personally have no idea why you'd clean out a cut with vinegar other than the fact that the acidity may prevent infection, but whatevs.
And the thing with the flammability is that hydrogen peroxide is only flammable at concentrations greater than about 70% (flash point of 70 degrees C), which may have been the case with the bleach in the car.
Hope that clears things up. :D
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
bam
State: PA

Post by bam »

Does anybody know if the same person will be writing the Nationals test this year??
Strath Haven High School Science Olympiad Captain 2015 - 2016

Total SO medal count 2009 - 2016: 34
outofsight13
State: CA

Post by outofsight13 »

When testing pH in mixtures, will the result be sort of a mix of the components? For example, if the mixture is calcium carbonate (pH of 7) and baking soda (pH of 9), would the result of the test show ~8? Thanks!
labchick
State: TN

Post by labchick »

outofsight13 wrote:When testing pH in mixtures, will the result be sort of a mix of the components? For example, if the mixture is calcium carbonate (pH of 7) and baking soda (pH of 9), would the result of the test show ~8? Thanks!
From what I've seen, it tends to be a tie-dye-like blend of the two colors, e.g for the above mixture it would be green on some of the paper and yellow on the rest. But, it varies a lot depending on the mixture.
LoopQuantumGravity

outofsight13 wrote:When testing pH in mixtures, will the result be sort of a mix of the components? For example, if the mixture is calcium carbonate (pH of 7) and baking soda (pH of 9), would the result of the test show ~8? Thanks!
Actually, no. Even though the concentrations of H+ ions should average out, the pH scale is logarithmic.
For example, if a powder with a pH of 6 and one with a pH of 8 were in a 1:1 mixture, the pH would be -log((10^(-6)+10^(-8))/2), or roughly 6.3.

Return to “2012 Lab Events”