Science Crime Busters B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Science Crime Busters B

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
prelude to death
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Crime Busters B

Post by prelude to death »

Anyone with the rules already: Are the rules/materials much different from last year? Additionally, is Water Testing back, or is it still polymers and fibers?
"I like a quiet life, you know me."
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

prelude to death wrote:Anyone with the rules already: Are the rules/materials much different from last year? Additionally, is Water Testing back, or is it still polymers and fibers?

There are only minor changes. It's still polymers and fibers.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
geekychic13
Division: B
State: IL

Post by geekychic13 »

I think that one of the major changes i noticed was that we dont use NaOH this year, we use iodine....but thats all i noticed....:)
GUESS WHAT???? I GOTS 1ST PLACE IN ALL MY EVENTS AT CONFERENCE!!!!
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Meteorology, Optics
:D
Jesus died for me.

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah, they were all yellow

-Yellow, by Coldplay
Sherry Berry
State: MO

Post by Sherry Berry »

I did this event two years ago for the team tryouts, and I was not very good at it. It was mostly because I had no idea what tests they wanted me to do, so does anyone know like a website where they tell you what the tests are, or are they on the rules manual and I just somehow missed them?
"No man can resist these lumps."
DigiDuncan
State: NY

Post by DigiDuncan »

It's EXACTLY like last year. I was hoping for water testing, but, sadly, no sign of it as of yet.
"I'm a dwarf and I'm digging a hole! Diggy diggy hole! I'm digging a hole!"
-- Simon, Yogscast: Shadow of Israphael, Episode 8
"He-ELL-o, and, aga-ain, welcome, to the Aperture Science Computer-Aided Enrichment Center."
-- GLaDOS, Portal
CopperPenny
State: IN

Post by CopperPenny »

This was my favorite event last year, when I was in sixth grade. I hope I get on it dearly, as I did only decent on the test and am eighth for picking events.

What was water testing?
20120 Events: Awesome Aquifers, Ornithology, Crime Busters, Storm the Castle
2011 Events: Crime Busters, Forestry, Water Quality, Storm the Castle
2013 Events: Crime Busters, Forestry, ?
zazzy7

Post by zazzy7 »

I'm doing CB this year, but the guidelines are pretty vague and my partner have no clue of where to start in preparing. I know we have to study, but don't know what to study. Any tips?

Ty xD
Saturiea

Post by Saturiea »

There are a lot of things to learn. Based of past experience a majority of the test is ID of the powders and mixtures. So my suggestion is to talk to your coach about getting the needed powders and then start practicing how you can ID them. Maybe make a dichotomous key
prelude to death
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by prelude to death »

Saturiea wrote:There are a lot of things to learn. Based of past experience a majority of the test is ID of the powders and mixtures. So my suggestion is to talk to your coach about getting the needed powders and then start practicing how you can ID them. Maybe make a dichotomous key
I strongly agree. The majority of the test will in fact be powders, but you might also want to take a look at liquids and metals too, since the liquids are commonly found lying around the house, and you might have better access to them. Once you feel like you got the hang of recognizing individual powders, then you should start moving onto mixtures of 2, then 3 if you feel braver. However, the event isn't just identification. You'll have to know things like types of fingerprints (which is pretty basic), as well as what certain types of fibers and hairs look like under microscopes. Those are the most common things seen in the competition setting, and should be enough to get you started. Also, you might want to take a lot of practice tests with your partner - find out who is better at doing what. For example, my partner and I have worked out a system that allows us to use our 50 minutes of event time the most efficiently. You can either split up the work or work together, although I do recommend from previous experience to split up the work because the time you have is limited.
"I like a quiet life, you know me."

Return to “2012 Lab Events”