Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Crime Busters B

Post by SciBomb97 »

Cheese_Muffin_Man wrote:
Skink wrote:
Cheese_Muffin_Man wrote:can someone tell me the difference between zinc and aluminum?
17 protons.

The flow chart and tables say that one will react quickly with HCl while the other is delayed. I can't tell you wha that looks like in practice because I don't have these samples, but I'd try it at least once if you can.
thanks!
Yeah, we tried this one so many times at practice (the 6th graders...they never get used to it).
For aluminum, there is definitely a delay between contact and reaction. You have to wait like a whole minute to about 2 minutes before something happens. When it does start to react, there will be a slight fizz followed up by a pretty violent bubbling that lasts for about 10-20 seconds.
Zinc, on the other hand, will react upon contact with HCl by fizzing at a realtively constant magnitude. It won't be anything very violent, just some moderate fizzing.
Also, there may be some confusion between magnesium and zinc. While zinc has a moderate fizz on contact, magnesium will practically evaporate on contact and bubble violently if a piece is dropped into a fair amount of HCl. You'll see what I mean if you ever get to try it.
Hope that helps. :D
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
Cheese_Muffin_Man

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

Thanks! i think it will help us out a lot
Cheese_Muffin_Man

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

how can u test for gypsum?
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

The best approach is NOT to rule out things (ie "Test for Gypsum"/"Test for Calcium Carbonate") unless you already have a good guess as to what something is, but the best approach is to simply follow the flow chart, which is page 2 of that link. If you have a hunch you know what it is, you can skip steps.
EpicFailure
State: WI

Post by EpicFailure »

Has anyone tested Ascorbic Acid and got a pH other than 2? Same with Alka-Seltzer. Has anyone gotten a pH other than 6 for that?
LoopQuantumGravity
Division: B
State: ID

Post by LoopQuantumGravity »

To answer your question, I always get those pH values when I do the tests.

Could some one help me on this:
What is the best way to tell the difference between NaCl and sugar if no microscope is provided? They didn't have one at state.
SciBomb97
State: AL

Post by SciBomb97 »

You should have a handlens/magnifying glass in your crime kit (you're allowed to take one). Even at low magnification, it's apparent whether the crystals are all cubic or just similar to cubic. You should look at a sample of NaCl and a sample of sugar with a magnifying glass before going to competition, the difference is very apparent once you see them both.
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
ThornStone
State: ME

Post by ThornStone »

which of the liquids would be best used to clean a cut? and is rubbing alcohol more flammable than hydrogen peroxide?
LoopQuantumGravity
State: ID

Post by LoopQuantumGravity »

ThornStone wrote:which of the liquids would be best used to clean a cut? and is rubbing alcohol more flammable than hydrogen peroxide?
Hydrogen peroxide is commonly used to clean cuts.
Rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol is flammable, while hydrogen peroxide is not.
ThornStone
State: ME

Post by ThornStone »

LoopQuantumGravity wrote:
ThornStone wrote:which of the liquids would be best used to clean a cut? and is rubbing alcohol more flammable than hydrogen peroxide?
Hydrogen peroxide is commonly used to clean cuts.
Rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol is flammable, while hydrogen peroxide is not.
we were looking through old tests to prepare for nationals and we found a question that asked "which liquid fizzes when used to clean a cut?" and the answer is vinegar, so we weren't sure about the answer. and http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... leach.html says that hydrogen peroxide is highly flammable.

Return to “2012 Lab Events”