Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Food Science B

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

Hello algaewiz,

Here's my advice: the whole page before the last had a discussion on viscometers not working. Read that.

It sounds like you are keeping the control great, only that your hole might be too small. Try enlarging the hole slightly, and the more viscous liquids will flow more easily.

Here's a tip: Spend more time on the less viscous liquids; I'm pretty sure most of the event supervisors do not wish to engage the students in 5 minute long viscotests.

Red
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com
Queen-Of-Death
State: FL

Post by Queen-Of-Death »

JKrafsur wrote:This event sounds extremely confusing and random judging by the rules, too bad its not a taste event
Actually, it's not that bad after you try it.STUDYING for it is the hard part, at least for me.
Me: (at states) WOOHOO!! WE MADE IT TO NATIONALS!!! WHERE ARE WE GOING?!?!?
Teammate: Orlando
Me:...........I hate my life.
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Nats discussion!

I thought it was easy. There were only about 5 questions I was unsure about, and I landed 12th.

What did you guys think? easy? hard? moderate? Wish you had studied more?

I think the whole question about quick-freezing food preserving was off-topic. I guessed Pillsbury but it could also be that Clarence Birdseye thing. I laughed out loud when I saw they put Emeril Lagasse. No way. :lol: Did anyone know the answer to that one?

oh and another I didn't know was the whole radioactive one. We decided helium's not radioactive, :lol: uranium isn't used on foods, :lol: and we guessed potassium, I think, not cobalt. Did anyone know that one?
wuisache

Post by wuisache »

knittingfrenzy18 wrote:Nats discussion!

I thought it was easy. There were only about 5 questions I was unsure about, and I landed 12th.

I think the whole question about quick-freezing food preserving was off-topic. I guessed Pillsbury but it could also be that Clarence Birdseye thing. I laughed out loud when I saw they put Emeril Lagasse. No way. :lol: Did anyone know the answer to that one?

oh and another I didn't know was the whole radioactive one. We decided helium's not radioactive, :lol: uranium isn't used on foods, :lol: and we guessed potassium, I think, not cobalt. Did anyone know that one?
I thought it was the best written test I've ever took so far. Moderate to hard- but let's be honest- there were a ton of components to that test which took up a lot of time :o Ii think the test was truly a good measure of how strong you and your partner collectively are (since a long test would require some splitting up). Hahah you know how the viscosity was like orange drink (like Sunkist or something)? So I accidentally got it on my hand and licked it.... I think an event supervisor saw. :shock:
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Yes, I agree! It was a great test! I was happy I knew most the material there...

Yeah, this is how we did it--
Me-~50 questions
Partner: Viscosity

Me: Density
Partner: Food Labels

Together: benedict's/biuret's/iodine

Finish ~5 questions

Copy down onto bubble sheet

REALIZE THERE'S A PRIOR EXPERIMENTATION PAGE

*panic*

Remembers half a second later we actually prior experimentationed something!!

Scribbles probably not enough to get all the points in the last 10 minutes

turns in with ~30s to go

lol.

The only part that was planned of that, was that my partner was going to do food labels and he was going to do viscosity FIRST, and that I was probably going to do the majority of the questions.

lol if the guy saw you licked it, and he knew the rules well enough, you guys should have been kicked out. :P What if it killed you?
labchick
State: TN

Post by labchick »

knittingfrenzy18 wrote:Nats discussion!

I thought it was fairly easy and I was expecting it to be a bit harder. The answer to the quick-freezing was Clarence Birdseye. And we also guessed K, not sure if that was correct either. :|
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Yes, I agreed--it's sorta a mix--I wish it were harder, but I'm happy it was easier so we could place higher. :lol:
cupcakegirl
Division: C
State: TX

Post by cupcakegirl »

Does anyone know if viscosity is going to be a part of Food Science this year?
2013 Nationals Results: Water Quality-2nd, Food Science-6th, Crime Busters-13th, Team- 7th
2014 National Results: Water Quality- 7th, Can't Judge A Powder- 6th, Crime Busters- 4th, Heredity- 5th, Team- FIRST!!!
2015 Events: Forensics, Green Generation, Fossils
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

I'm not sure--I would guess they're switching it up, but you never know.
lwu1697

Post by lwu1697 »

I wish they can change the viscosity portion a bit. I know my team and I would appreciate it if they have omit liquids the likes of honey, corn syrup, and chocolate syrup because of the problem with the liquids not passing through our viscometers. We'll have to wait and see for the rules to be published, I guess.

Return to “2012 Lab Events”