Food Science B

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Food Science B

Post by chalker »

Satyrcentaur wrote:On the 2012 Cupcake Scoring Thingamabobber, it says that students need to do a minimum of the following 9 experiments, test the viscosity, and record the results. Is this judged for the competition and do we need to do this during the test?
By the way, our competition is tomorrow so it'd be great if anyone who knew responded ASAP. :D

Cupcakes were in the draft rules, but not the final rules. You need to get a copy of the published rules from your coach.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Satyrcentaur
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Satyrcentaur »

chalker wrote:
Satyrcentaur wrote:On the 2012 Cupcake Scoring Thingamabobber, it says that students need to do a minimum of the following 9 experiments, test the viscosity, and record the results. Is this judged for the competition and do we need to do this during the test?
By the way, our competition is tomorrow so it'd be great if anyone who knew responded ASAP. :D

Cupcakes were in the draft rules, but not the final rules. You need to get a copy of the published rules from your coach.

Thanks, we were just a bit confused and stressed
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

chalker wrote:Cupcakes were in the draft rules, but not the final rules. You need to get a copy of the published rules from your coach.
chalker, this really needs to be made clearer on the National site in the future since not all folks are as familiar with Science Olympiad (that the published rules rule, essentially) as, say, those who regularly post here. This has thrown off several people in my personal experience, though I do not know how widespread the confusion has been.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Skink wrote: chalker, this really needs to be made clearer on the National site in the future since not all folks are as familiar with Science Olympiad (that the published rules rule, essentially) as, say, those who regularly post here. This has thrown off several people in my personal experience, though I do not know how widespread the confusion has been.
Every event page on soinc.org starts with these 2 sentences:

"The information on this page should not be interpreted as an extension of the rules. The official rules in the current Rules Manual take precedence."

How can we be more explicit than that?

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

That seems to be a rhetorical question, but I'll attempt to answer it anyways: removal of the material that throws some parents and coaches off or, at least, shoving it into a deep, dark corner of the page. Those two sentences are based on the assumption that A)folks are reading them and B)they take them to heart. I suppose reason for confusion (people having A but not B, if even A) is that, despite those two sentences, the majority of other event pages on the National site are populated with relevant information labeled by applicable year, in several cases. Then, you have Food Science, a new event that technically should not have artifacts from previous seasons sitting around to throw people off, with the required cupcake experiments handout.

I understand that it may be logistically impossible to attack this problem, but it's there, nonetheless. How many people do you see posting on this forum who have not read the rules closely, let alone the National site page?
i8maps
State: PA

Post by i8maps »

Does anyone know how to calculate the calorie content in food with the nutrition label? My partner and I have been trying for a while and we always are slightly off.
soinc
State: CO

Post by soinc »

So what's the point of Food Science anyway?
KittenPsychology
State: AL

Post by KittenPsychology »

To learn about food. And science. And sciency food. Also the makeup of food. And stuff.
Hello, I'm John.

Sherlock (after doing something in reverse): Reverse pyschology!
Me: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Lestrade: Inconcievable!
Sherlock: I know what it means, I just like saying it.
Mrs. Hudson: You guys are awesome!
Sunshine Ninja
State: NC

Post by Sunshine Ninja »

KittenPsychology wrote:To learn about food. And science. And sciency food. Also the makeup of food. And stuff.
After doing FS for two years.... that is still the best explanation there is! So glad I do not have FS this yr!
2012 stats:
Mousetrap vehicle: reg. 4th,
Heredity: reg. 2nd,
Forestry: reg.1st :),
Team: reg. 1st!!!,

Past events: Ornithology (2), Food science, Elevated bridge, Optics, Junkyard Challenge

States in two days....kill me now
Queen-Of-Death
State: FL

Post by Queen-Of-Death »

Sunshine Ninja wrote:
KittenPsychology wrote:To learn about food. And science. And sciency food. Also the makeup of food. And stuff.
After doing FS for two years.... that is still the best explanation there is! So glad I do not have FS this yr!
I do and two weeks before state.:(
Me: (at states) WOOHOO!! WE MADE IT TO NATIONALS!!! WHERE ARE WE GOING?!?!?
Teammate: Orlando
Me:...........I hate my life.

Return to “2012 Lab Events”