Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Food Science B

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

Please put the computed number without rounding.

It is more specifically said this way: if something has 4g of fat, it probably isn't; it's probably closer to 3.6g or something. This is the way the manufacturers get a more exact Calorie count. Also, yes, manufacturers often round to the nearest 10. However, if the event supervisors are smart, they have covered the manufacturers' number and have computed the number you will compute. This will be the correct answer.

Basically, if you round, you might not even get what the manufacturer said, and the event supervisor is supposed to give you points for what you've computed straight out of the box; fat times 9, carbs and protein times 4.
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com
labchick
State: TN

Post by labchick »

What are your best study tips for this event? I just got put on it for Nats. I did it at Regionals, but didn't put a ton of time into it and didn't medal.
rhms
State: CO

Post by rhms »

WHAT AMOUNT OF NOTES CAN WE BRING? Because I swear it was a binder and now its only one sheet of paper...
summit

Post by summit »

According to the rules, you may bring a three-ring binder
JKrafsur
Division: C

Post by JKrafsur »

Yes summit is right, you are allowed a binder of any size into competition, but be sure to have it organized. If you dont have that done, its never going to help you at competition. Almost everything at our regional competition (if you werent in the northern region) was about chemistry and chemical properties of foods. That and chemical testing are probably the most important things
2012-2013 Events:

Astronomy, Write It/Do It, Rocks and Minerals, Food Science?
rhms

Post by rhms »

I was in the Southern region and the test was on those topics too. I brought pages of notes but when I checked on the National science olympiad website, the food science powerpoint said only one page was allowed.
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

THe food sci PPT--and external resources for every events--aren't an extension of the rules. There's a statement about that on every National page. Now, the PPT in question was amde from draft rules, so there are several topics that may be under question.
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MD

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

lol I once saw this picture of a 8" or something close binder people brought. It's helpful only if you can find things in there.
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com
algaewiz
State: MI

Food Science B-Viscometer Help!

Post by algaewiz »

Guys, my kids are having a difficult time getting the viscometer to work properly, especially with the chocolate syrup. I have 20 years of lab experience, and I'm not much help. Is there any better guidance on temperatures, set-up, etc that someone could point us to? I have tried enlarging the hole, etc and the chocolate is taking way too long and doesn't flow well. We are doing this at 72 deg. F, should we find a warmer place? Otherwise my girls have been testing and baking their hearts out, so I hate to send them in with something that's not done right. Thanks much!!!!
Cedavis6
Division: Grad

Post by Cedavis6 »

I just edited the food science wiki. It has blue as the positive test for iodine tests, and pink/purple for protein tests.
I feel important now.

Return to “2012 Lab Events”