Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Post by Schrodingerscat »

Bozongle wrote:Anyways, can anyone link me to a good kit/parts for building some circuits? I need some practice and need some good quality pieces.
You may also wish to buy a breadboard as it can keep larger circuits neater than simply alligator clipping them all together (in addition to providing experience with them if they are used in labs at competition).
Bozongle
Division: B
State: IN
Been thanked: 0

Post by Bozongle »

Schrodingerscat wrote:
Bozongle wrote:Anyways, can anyone link me to a good kit/parts for building some circuits? I need some practice and need some good quality pieces.
You may also wish to buy a breadboard as it can keep larger circuits neater than simply alligator clipping them all together (in addition to providing experience with them if they are used in labs at competition).
I plan on working with both those unorganized circuits and such and also a breadboard, breadboard is still a bit confusing to me but I'm starting to put things together about it.
Thanks!
Bozongle

Post by Bozongle »

Building circuits aside, I find it very hard to absorb and remember information regarding electricity and shock value. So many laws, rules, and equations it confuses me so much, especially with the weird symbols. I understand how to apply ohm's law, parallel, etc. but stuff like cathodes, anodes, polarity, especially magnetism itself just confuses me to the max, and it hurts me so badly during an actual competition. Tips?
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

Agh, I lost my post! Here's the short version:
Bozongle wrote:Building circuits aside, I find it very hard to absorb and remember information regarding electricity and shock value. So many laws, rules, and equations it confuses me so much, especially with the weird symbols. I understand how to apply ohm's law, parallel, etc. but stuff like cathodes, anodes, polarity, especially magnetism itself just confuses me to the max, and it hurts me so badly during an actual competition. Tips?
Re: cathode and anode, there are mnemonic devices to help you...
RED CAT, AN OX (both are animals, note)
Reduction occurs at the cathode. Oxidation occurs at the anode. I'd bet there are some nice web animations out there for wet cells.
Electrons flow from the anode to the cathode because A comes before C. A-->C

Re: magnetism, the right-hand rule helps solve some problems. And make sure you can ground--hard as it may be--whatever you're studying in reality. magnetic fields are a bit abstract, but there are all of those iron filings pictures out there. Do some searches; I'd bet there are some nice explanations out there. Magnetism wasn't my strongest area, either. Good luck!
rtyagi
Division: C
State: NY

Post by rtyagi »

Hey, I was wondering if questions on magnetism could show up for the C Division test. It isn't listed on the rules sheet but it also isn't a "prohibited topic" (such as semiconductors, AC circuits, and inductors).

Also I understand that it is important to understand both Electron flow and Conventional current, but for C division, would certain questions ask analysis using a specific one? or would they let you use either?

Thanks, and sorry if these questions are "noob-ish"
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

rtyagi wrote:Hey, I was wondering if questions on magnetism could show up for the C Division test. It isn't listed on the rules sheet but it also isn't a "prohibited topic" (such as semiconductors, AC circuits, and inductors).

Also I understand that it is important to understand both Electron flow and Conventional current, but for C division, would certain questions ask analysis using a specific one? or would they let you use either?

Thanks, and sorry if these questions are "noob-ish"
I'm not to familiar with this event, but as a rule of thumb, if it's not on the rules then the event supervisor shouldn't test you on it. Some magnetism topics may fall under certain categories so look closely.

The event supervisor may choose to do either conventional or electron flow, or allow both. It's really up to them, so familiarize yourself with both.
winneratlife
State: MI

Post by winneratlife »

Pennsylvania State Test 2008, Section 2, question 1. I applied the transformation to the 3 triangles and got 5 as the resistances across A and F. Yet the answer key says 6.11. Thoughts?

EDIT: Never mind, I got it.
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

Taking note of the whole "not he place for official clarifications" thing:

To my understanding, graphing calculators are acceptable in this event (Div C). I was wondering, then, if writing a program for my calculator which does some of the circuitry equations for me for the sake of speed would be "against the spirit of the competition", or simply making good use of my resources. What are you guys' interpretations of this?
Bozongle

Post by Bozongle »

Very confused by what the battery schematic symbol is, some sources say

Others say:

Which symbol should I use at competitions?
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

Bozongle wrote:Very confused by what the battery schematic symbol is, some sources say

Others say:

Which symbol should I use at competitions?
Those are essentially the same thing; any supervisor being fair would accept both.

Return to “2013 Lab Events”