fantasyfan
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Post by fantasyfan »

You are correct, thank you :P
Looking forward to anatomy, protein, fossils, and optics (NYS trial) this year!
JSGandora
State: NJ

Post by JSGandora »

How did people do on the nationals test? I felt the test portion was rather easy while the lab portion was pretty difficult. My partner and I placed 11th, with only one problem unable to do due to time constraints but then we messed up the lab portion. What was the answer to the name of the equivalence circuit that also said to make sure the accent in the name was in the right place? I believe that was station 2. Also, what were we supposed to answer for writing the equation for the Wheatstone bridge? Did they just want the ratio of each pair of resistors? Or was it something else?
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

Probably the equivalence circuit was thévenin... But I'm just guess because the only other one I know is norton and it doesn't have an accent. Anyone care to describe the test in more detail? I'm really curious :D
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
JSGandora
State: NJ

Post by JSGandora »

I wasn't sure if it was Thevenin or not because it wasn't even a complete circuit and it had a bunch of resistors. It just occurred to me it might have been a circuit that took out the load resistor as in the process to find the Thevenin circuit. The question to draw the equivalent circuit made sense that way...darn...I'm stupid.... ><
plaid suit guy2
State: CO

Post by plaid suit guy2 »

The equivalence could have been either Norton or Thevenin because they are directly related. You just had to justify your thinking.
Thevenin would be the easiest and most direct: you were given a fixed voltage source in series with a resistive network, and your best bet was to make the Thevenin equivalent: a fixed voltage source in series with a resistor.

as for the Wheatstone bridge, the equation is on Wikipedia (and, more importantly, not in my notes)

equation: Image

or Image
In a balanced bridge, Vg ALWAYS equals 0, as per the definition of a balanced bridge. it is used to measure extremely accurate resistances when three other somewhat accurate resistances are known.
Last edited by plaid suit guy2 on May 19th, 2013, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blue and yellow plaid suit
Nationals 2012:
Sound of Music: 8th

Nationals 2013:
Remote Sensing: 1st
ELG: 1st
MagLev: 6th

State 2014:
Boomi: 1st (scored 1824)
Circuits: 1st
Compound: 3rd
Malgev: 1st
MP: 2nd

total gold: 18
total silver: 10
total bronze: 5
6th: 1
Poudre High School class of '15
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

I'm pretty sure it couldn't have been norton, as norton doesn't have an accent ;)
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
Jdogg
State: PA

Post by Jdogg »

Yeah, I think the nats test was fairly easy. I think a few hard problems here and there, mostly just a lot of problems. Top 10 we're probably decided by one or two stupid mistakes.
All in all though it covered a lot of material and had pretty interesting problems. So overall I was really happy with the quality of the test. Still probably the hardest test I've taken for circuits this year.
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School
sean9keenan

Post by sean9keenan »

Jdogg wrote:Yeah, I think the nats test was fairly easy. I think a few hard problems here and there, mostly just a lot of problems. Top 10 we're probably decided by one or two stupid mistakes.
All in all though it covered a lot of material and had pretty interesting problems. So overall I was really happy with the quality of the test. Still probably the hardest test I've taken for circuits this year.
Harder than my tests? And how does it compare to Cicc's tests?

I'm just curious :P (and yes I do still read these forums :)
SoCal Event Supervisor. H2S2O for ever. Competed in Builds & Physics events
Jdogg

Post by Jdogg »

sean9keenan wrote:
Jdogg wrote:Yeah, I think the nats test was fairly easy. I think a few hard problems here and there, mostly just a lot of problems. Top 10 we're probably decided by one or two stupid mistakes.
Harder than my tests? And how does it compare to Cicc's tests?

I'm just curious :P (and yes I do still read these forums :)
No not harder than yours, not even close. And I think the whole test was sighlty harder than cicc's but pretty compareable since the lab section had a bunch of questions that really made us split the test up. When I can do cicc's in like 40 minutes by myself, this was pretty much a 50/50 effort on the test and we got to check about 75% of the others work. Though it doesn't help when you partner shows up 5 minutes after the exam has already started :P ichaelm :P. Hahaha But other than that we worked well together. Thanks bro.
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School
ichaelm

Post by ichaelm »

Hey, I showed up at 2:59. So really I was early! :P

Return to “2013 Lab Events”