Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Toms_42
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Post by Toms_42 »

I'm finalizing my binder for our state competition in PA, and I was wondering if anyone would like to share some of the harder questions they've been asked
cyanophycean314
Division: C
State: IN

Post by cyanophycean314 »

Toms_42 wrote:I'm finalizing my binder for our state competition in PA, and I was wondering if anyone would like to share some of the harder questions they've been asked
We had a very interesting problem. In the problem, there is an arrangement of resistors, but you don't know how they're arranged. Then they take out each resistor and tell you the value of the currents passing through each of the other resistors. Using this info, you find the value/arrangement of all the resistors. You use your basic series/parallel concepts to find the configuration and then you can find the values. In the end, it was not that hard because all the resistors had the same value :P
Carmel High School! :D About Me

(Whiting Inv., Northridge Inv., Regional, State) for 2013
Circuit Lab (3rd, 1st, 1st, 1ST!!)
Thermo (2nd, 4th, 2nd, 4th)
Dynamic (6th, 3rd, --, --)
UQOnyx
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by UQOnyx »

Our NJ tiebreaker question was that there was a speaker and resistor set up in series. The value of the resistor was not known and the question was that if 4 exact same resistors were wired in parallel instead of that single resistor, would the speaker be louder or lower or no change at all (ie would the current be higher?)
Noor-ul-Iman School

2012 Events:
Forestry
Storm The Castle

2013 Events:
Boomilever
Shock Value
Forestry

I know the voices aren't real, but they have some great ideas..
Toms_42

Post by Toms_42 »

UQOnyx wrote:Our NJ tiebreaker question was that there was a speaker and resistor set up in series. The value of the resistor was not known and the question was that if 4 exact same resistors were wired in parallel instead of that single resistor, would the speaker be louder or lower or no change at all (ie would the current be higher?)
what did you answer?
fantasyfan
State: NY

Post by fantasyfan »

The correct answer would be that the current would go up and the speaker would be louder because when a circuit is wired in parallel, the total resistance must be less than any of the resistors, and since V=IR, the current would go up
Looking forward to anatomy, protein, fossils, and optics (NYS trial) this year!
Toms_42

Post by Toms_42 »

fantasyfan wrote:The correct answer would be that the current would go up and the speaker would be louder because when a circuit is wired in parallel, the total resistance must be less than any of the resistors, and since V=IR, the current would go up
yup.
I was asking because I wasnt sure if he meant the 4 resistors were in parallel with the speaker (in which case it would stay the same) or if they were replacing the old one.

also why is that a tiebreaker?

(the best tiereaker ive seen was on the kenston meteo test: How many roofs does a METAR station have? correct answer was 2, we said 4, the JV team said 18 :lol: )
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

Actually the speaker would get louder weather they were replacing the old resistors or in parallel with the speaker, because if the just replaced the old resistor the equivalent resistance would still be lower(1/4 the original).
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
Toms_42

Post by Toms_42 »

iwonder wrote:Actually the speaker would get louder weather they were replacing the old resistors or in parallel with the speaker, because if the just replaced the old resistor the equivalent resistance would still be lower(1/4 the original).
I meant they kept the old resistor AND added the new ones in parallel with the speaker, sorry for the confusion
fantasyfan
State: NY

Post by fantasyfan »

if that is true then the speaker would get quieter
Looking forward to anatomy, protein, fossils, and optics (NYS trial) this year!
Toms_42

Post by Toms_42 »

fantasyfan wrote:if that is true then the speaker would get quieter
Actually, lets do the calculations.

For this example, lets drop the first resistor in series with the speaker to simplify things, as I am only explaining that current remains the same when another resistor is added in parallel.

Lets go with these values:

Battery: 10v
Speaker:10 ohms
Equivalent Resistor in parallel with speaker: 10 ohms

Let's find the total resistance of the circuit:

1/r=1/10+1/10
1/r=2/10
R=5ohms

Now for the current through the speaker: (voltage is 10 volts for the resistor and the speaker, and the resistance for the speaker remains at 10 ohms:
i=v/r
I=10/10
I=1 ampere

Now lets view the alternative, no resistor.

Total resistance is 10, As it is just that Of the speaker.

Current, once again:

i=v/r
I=10v/10 ohms
I=1 ampere (again)

Both currents are 1 ampere, so the speaker plays just as loud both times.

Even though some current is bypassed around the speaker in the first circuit, this is made up for by the all around lower resistance, 5 ohms instead of 10, so the total current of the first circuit doubles, but is halved again by the resistor bypassing the speaker.

Return to “2013 Lab Events”