Jdogg
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Post by Jdogg »

ichaelm wrote:Hey, I showed up at 2:59. So really I was early! :P
Haha I think your watch was slow :P. Mostly, you just missed the instructions... Maybe we started earlier since we had to switch rooms.. Idk. Hey, it ended up working out well :P
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School
tangentline
State: CA

Post by tangentline »

Awh. The school I rooted for thought the test was ridiculously hard (said something about 10 zig-zagging impossible wheatstone bridge like thing), but now that I come here, maybe I'd have the chance if I were to compete against national teams!
Yah, I'd imagine the differences that would've turned out at regionals had it a test the level of nationals. (I still wonder if the tie-breaker is overall ranking of the team or speed because I got 4th on a ridiculously easy test with about 5 questions and an easy measure this circuit lab).
Mathc314
Division: C

Post by Mathc314 »

Just a question here: how similar is the content and difficulty of a nationals level Circuit Lab test related to some of the topics covered on AP Physics E and M? I know obviously each test will have some unique topics and the practical part of the event will be different, but how similar are the theory portions?
"The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next." -Abe Lincoln
plaid suit guy2
Division: C
State: CO

Post by plaid suit guy2 »

typically 'bout the same
blue and yellow plaid suit
Nationals 2012:
Sound of Music: 8th

Nationals 2013:
Remote Sensing: 1st
ELG: 1st
MagLev: 6th

State 2014:
Boomi: 1st (scored 1824)
Circuits: 1st
Compound: 3rd
Malgev: 1st
MP: 2nd

total gold: 18
total silver: 10
total bronze: 5
6th: 1
Poudre High School class of '15
FawnOnyx
State: MN

Post by FawnOnyx »

Mathc314 wrote:Just a question here: how similar is the content and difficulty of a nationals level Circuit Lab test related to some of the topics covered on AP Physics E and M? I know obviously each test will have some unique topics and the practical part of the event will be different, but how similar are the theory portions?
The circuit lab topics are actually a relatively small part of what is covered on AP Physics C E&M. The AP curriculum covers several other topics like electrostatics and electric fields even in the "electricity" half of the content that isn't covered in circuit lab. And then there's the whole other half that's about magnetism, and a bit of calculus that's covered. For example, for this year's E&M FRQ's, only the 2nd FRQ is answerable with circuit lab concepts.

But there is definitely some overlap, and actually I just used circuit lab knowledge to answer the 2nd FRQ this year. It's hard to judge difficulty because a nationals test could have a few hard questions or a lot of medium questions, but idk maybe this year it was about equal. I could actually imagine that FRQ being a practical section of the nats exam. If you're planning on self studying, if you do circuits and maglev it works quite nicely though since you get both halves approximately (that's what I did this year)
Mounds View Science Olympiad Alumnus, 2011-2014
MIT Science Olympiad Volunteer

Return to “2013 Lab Events”