Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

cyanophycean314
Member
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: June 5th, 2012, 12:28 pm
Division: C
State: IN
Contact:

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Postby cyanophycean314 » March 25th, 2013, 6:11 pm

iwonder wrote:Umm, part 2 links to the part 2 key and part two key links to the part one key. :P

Ha, thanks about that. I knew I was going to screw something up like that. I think it's fixed now.

iwonder wrote:And the hazardous voltage to humans value varies depending on a lot of factors(where it's applied, sweat level, stuff like that) so it might help to clarify the question.

Yeah, I know that's kind of a bad question, but I just found that answer here: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_3/4.html (Scroll down to review)
Carmel High School! :D About Me

(Whiting Inv., Northridge Inv., Regional, State) for 2013
Circuit Lab (3rd, 1st, 1st, 1ST!!)
Thermo (2nd, 4th, 2nd, 4th)
Dynamic (6th, 3rd, --, --)

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 1106
Joined: May 10th, 2011, 8:25 pm
Division: Grad
State: TX
Contact:

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Postby iwonder » March 25th, 2013, 6:25 pm

Well it's probably worth some kind of clarification, and Id really dispute that, maybe if you found OSHA or UL/CSA requirements about hazardous voltages if feel better. But the scars from my 600v AC shock tend to disagree with the notion that something like 30v could produce something 'dangerous' unless it's under very specific circumstances.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

cyanophycean314
Member
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: June 5th, 2012, 12:28 pm
Division: C
State: IN
Contact:

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Postby cyanophycean314 » March 25th, 2013, 6:35 pm

iwonder wrote:Well it's probably worth some kind of clarification, and Id really dispute that, maybe if you found OSHA or UL/CSA requirements about hazardous voltages if feel better. But the scars from my 600v AC shock tend to disagree with the notion that something like 30v could produce something 'dangerous' unless it's under very specific circumstances.


This question probably should be thrown out, and feel free to do so when you take the test. I'll see if I have time to change it, but the source itself states it so broadly ("Any voltage above 30 is generally considered to be capable of delivering dangerous shock currents").
Carmel High School! :D About Me

(Whiting Inv., Northridge Inv., Regional, State) for 2013
Circuit Lab (3rd, 1st, 1st, 1ST!!)
Thermo (2nd, 4th, 2nd, 4th)
Dynamic (6th, 3rd, --, --)

User avatar
Unbihexium
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: May 21st, 2012, 4:01 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Pegasus Dwarf Irregular Galaxy, also: The Matrix.
Contact:

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Postby Unbihexium » March 25th, 2013, 6:55 pm

cyanophycean314 wrote:
iwonder wrote:Well it's probably worth some kind of clarification, and Id really dispute that, maybe if you found OSHA or UL/CSA requirements about hazardous voltages if feel better. But the scars from my 600v AC shock tend to disagree with the notion that something like 30v could produce something 'dangerous' unless it's under very specific circumstances.


This question probably should be thrown out, and feel free to do so when you take the test. I'll see if I have time to change it, but the source itself states it so broadly ("Any voltage above 30 is generally considered to be capable of delivering dangerous shock currents").


Oooo are we talking about how one can die from electricity? I'm pretty sure if you unloaded an ultracap into a person, they could die... Also a marx generator pulse... I like electrocution!
2012 Regionals: 5th Towers
2013 Athens Twin Tiers Invites: 1st Boomilever, 1st Fermi, 3rd Circuit Lab
2013 Regionals: 1st Boomilever, 1st Fermi, 1st Circuit Lab
2013 New York States: 3rd Fermi, 3rd Circuit Lab

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 1106
Joined: May 10th, 2011, 8:25 pm
Division: Grad
State: TX
Contact:

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Postby iwonder » March 25th, 2013, 6:56 pm

You and your ultracaps... :lol:
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

User avatar
Unbihexium
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: May 21st, 2012, 4:01 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Pegasus Dwarf Irregular Galaxy, also: The Matrix.
Contact:

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Postby Unbihexium » March 25th, 2013, 7:00 pm

iwonder wrote:You and your ultracaps... :lol:

What can I say? I'm obsessed a bit... I love em... I got a few recently, its so much fun...
2012 Regionals: 5th Towers
2013 Athens Twin Tiers Invites: 1st Boomilever, 1st Fermi, 3rd Circuit Lab
2013 Regionals: 1st Boomilever, 1st Fermi, 1st Circuit Lab
2013 New York States: 3rd Fermi, 3rd Circuit Lab

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 1106
Joined: May 10th, 2011, 8:25 pm
Division: Grad
State: TX
Contact:

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Postby iwonder » March 25th, 2013, 7:03 pm

What size are they?
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

User avatar
Unbihexium
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: May 21st, 2012, 4:01 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Pegasus Dwarf Irregular Galaxy, also: The Matrix.
Contact:

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Postby Unbihexium » March 25th, 2013, 7:32 pm

iwonder wrote:What size are they?

2600 F
2012 Regionals: 5th Towers
2013 Athens Twin Tiers Invites: 1st Boomilever, 1st Fermi, 3rd Circuit Lab
2013 Regionals: 1st Boomilever, 1st Fermi, 1st Circuit Lab
2013 New York States: 3rd Fermi, 3rd Circuit Lab

User avatar
Toms_42
Member
Member
Posts: 143
Joined: November 17th, 2012, 6:57 am
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Shady Side Academy HS; Pittsburgh PA
Contact:

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Postby Toms_42 » April 2nd, 2013, 8:22 pm

For shock value, would anyone like to share info on multicolored circuits? They are confusing the living daylights out of me, and I wanted to know if anyone knew if it is necessary knowledge for states or not. Haven't seen it yet.

Also, does anyone have a list of people who made major electronic breakthroughs/discoveries?
Image

Jdogg
Member
Member
Posts: 169
Joined: May 19th, 2011, 6:00 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Harriton > PSU
Contact:

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Postby Jdogg » April 2nd, 2013, 8:30 pm

Toms_42 wrote:For shock value, would anyone like to share info on multicolored circuits? They are confusing the living daylights out of me, and I wanted to know if anyone knew if it is necessary knowledge for states or not. Haven't seen it yet.

Also, does anyone have a list of people who made major electronic breakthroughs/discoveries?


What do you mean multicolored circuits? Like the resistor color code?
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School

iYOA
Member
Member
Posts: 184
Joined: March 1st, 2008, 7:13 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Contact:

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Postby iYOA » April 3rd, 2013, 6:02 pm

in the rules it says any "basic" multimeter can be used. Are auto-ranging ones considered "basic"?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 1106
Joined: May 10th, 2011, 8:25 pm
Division: Grad
State: TX
Contact:

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Postby iwonder » April 3rd, 2013, 6:05 pm

I believe so. There's a discussion about the letter of the rule and the intent of the rule earlier on this year, but I'm fairly certain auto ranging meters are basic.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

User avatar
Toms_42
Member
Member
Posts: 143
Joined: November 17th, 2012, 6:57 am
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Shady Side Academy HS; Pittsburgh PA
Contact:

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Postby Toms_42 » April 3rd, 2013, 7:17 pm

Oops, I meant "multilooped. It autocorrected it 0.o


As in, circuits with multiple batteries. Can someone explain why the loop and current directions when using kirkhoffe's rules are arbitrary?
Image

User avatar
Unbihexium
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: May 21st, 2012, 4:01 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Pegasus Dwarf Irregular Galaxy, also: The Matrix.
Contact:

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Postby Unbihexium » April 3rd, 2013, 7:33 pm

Toms_42 wrote:Oops, I meant "multilooped. It autocorrected it 0.o


As in, circuits with multiple batteries. Can someone explain why the loop and current directions when using kirkhoffe's rules are arbitrary?


Because if you choose the direction to be wrong, you'll simply end up with a negative current. However, you should avoid kirchhoff's rules in circuit analysis as they result in horrendous systems of equations to solve, so instead learn the node voltage and mesh current analysis method, they reduce the number of equations and make your life easier. They are simply more simplified versions of kirchhoff's laws intended for analysis.
2012 Regionals: 5th Towers
2013 Athens Twin Tiers Invites: 1st Boomilever, 1st Fermi, 3rd Circuit Lab
2013 Regionals: 1st Boomilever, 1st Fermi, 1st Circuit Lab
2013 New York States: 3rd Fermi, 3rd Circuit Lab

User avatar
Infinity Flat
Member
Member
Posts: 274
Joined: March 12th, 2010, 4:00 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Camas, WA
Contact:

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Postby Infinity Flat » April 3rd, 2013, 7:45 pm

Unbihexium wrote:
Toms_42 wrote:Oops, I meant "multilooped. It autocorrected it 0.o


As in, circuits with multiple batteries. Can someone explain why the loop and current directions when using kirkhoffe's rules are arbitrary?


Because if you choose the direction to be wrong, you'll simply end up with a negative current. However, you should avoid kirchhoff's rules in circuit analysis as they result in horrendous systems of equations to solve, so instead learn the node voltage and mesh current analysis method, they reduce the number of equations and make your life easier. They are simply more simplified versions of kirchhoff's laws intended for analysis.

If your only issue is multiple batteries, I think its easier to do superposition with the batteries. But really just do whatever you're most comfortable with.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)


Return to “2013 Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest