Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

foreverphysics
Division: Grad
State: AL

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Postby foreverphysics » January 9th, 2013, 7:54 pm

To be honest, my binder is around 200 pages long--and 84 of those pages are prediction graphs. (I went just a liiiiittle bit overboard with those...think I'm taking them out). My binder is 1.5 inches and barely holding everything, but I think that's mostly because I put page protecters on every single sheet of paper.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"

benk
Division: B
State: MI

Postby benk » January 10th, 2013, 11:09 am

In the Rules it state any of the flowing materials are prohibited...all foam ( plastic, metal, expanable glue, etc.) does this mean no metal or no metal foam?
Government is not the solultion to our problems, government is the problem - Ronald Reagan

The Architect
Division: C
State: VT

Postby The Architect » January 10th, 2013, 3:38 pm

In the Rules it state any of the flowing materials are prohibited...all foam ( plastic, metal, expanable glue, etc.) does this mean no metal or no metal foam?
It has been mentioned before on this thread that the "plastic, metal, expandable glue, etc." only applies to foams. You may use metal if you want to. This has also been submitted as a FAQ on soinc.org.
http://soinc.org/node/263
Science, yeah!

Made a new team. 7th place at NH states. Officially the champions of Vermont.

2015-2016 Events:
Air Trajectory, It's About Time, EXPD, and WIDI.

Cheesy Pie

Postby Cheesy Pie » January 11th, 2013, 11:04 am

It has been mentioned before on this thread that the "plastic, metal, expandable glue, etc." only applies to foams. You may use metal if you want to. This has also been submitted as a FAQ on soinc.org.
http://soinc.org/node/263
Although I wouldn't recommend using metal ;) - almost all metals are good conductors, and they therefore conduct heat away from the water.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE

foreverphysics

Postby foreverphysics » January 12th, 2013, 1:14 pm

Although I wouldn't recommend using metal ;) - almost all metals are good conductors, and they therefore conduct heat away from the water.
Actually, it depends on how you are using the metal, and what kind you're using. I know we use a bit of metal to reflect heat.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

benk
Division: B

Postby benk » January 13th, 2013, 10:36 am

Actually, it depends on how you are using the metal, and what kind you're using. I know we use a bit of metal to reflect heat.
Yeah I am doing that to with tin foil
Government is not the solultion to our problems, government is the problem - Ronald Reagan

135scioly
State: MO

Postby 135scioly » January 13th, 2013, 5:41 pm

Yeah I am doing that to with tin foil
Same :). I also had a question because we built our device as a cube. Then we glued cotton balls inside, and covered it with felt. Do you guys think that the felt will actually make the device less insulative because its keeping the cotton balls from touching the beaker?
2014 Events: Entomology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives

foreverphysics

Postby foreverphysics » January 14th, 2013, 3:31 pm

Same :). I also had a question because we built our device as a cube. Then we glued cotton balls inside, and covered it with felt. Do you guys think that the felt will actually make the device less insulative because its keeping the cotton balls from touching the beaker?
I don't think so--the cotton definitely doesn't touch our beaker. It's actually several centimetres apart.

mingtian
State: PA

Postby mingtian » January 15th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Is anybody going to take up the bonus point challenge and add ice water to their beaker? It doesn't say how many bonus points so I'm not sure if it's worth it or not. If you do, are you allowed to make your prediction AFTER seeing the temperature of the hot water+the cool water?

Also, the rules say "Teams may submit up to 4 plots for scoring. Teams may be asked by the supervisor to submit
them prior to the tournament.". Are they giving points on how good the graphs are or are they just merely checking over them to make sure that you did some work and aren't just guessing? Would I have points taken off for submitting less than 4 plots?

chalker
State: OH

Postby chalker » January 15th, 2013, 5:40 pm

Is anybody going to take up the bonus point challenge and add ice water to their beaker? It doesn't say how many bonus points so I'm not sure if it's worth it or not. If you do, are you allowed to make your prediction AFTER seeing the temperature of the hot water+the cool water?

Also, the rules say "Teams may submit up to 4 plots for scoring. Teams may be asked by the supervisor to submit
them prior to the tournament.". Are they giving points on how good the graphs are or are they just merely checking over them to make sure that you did some work and aren't just guessing? Would I have points taken off for submitting less than 4 plots?
I'd suggest you look closely at section 5 of the rules (the scoring section). Most of your questions are answered there.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Return to “2013 Lab Events”