Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Locked
soccerkid812
Member
Member
Posts: 169
Joined: December 16th, 2010, 4:43 pm
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by soccerkid812 » February 15th, 2013, 2:37 pm

Can you layer glue (non-expandable) along the inside of the box to stop heat from escaping along the corners and sides of the box?

135scioly
Member
Member
Posts: 315
Joined: February 13th, 2012, 9:04 am
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by 135scioly » February 15th, 2013, 4:23 pm

soccerkid812 wrote:Can you layer glue (non-expandable) along the inside of the box to stop heat from escaping along the corners and sides of the box?
I think that's allowed, but if you'd rather be safe, you can use duct tape. That's what my team did, and it's pretty much like glue.
2014 Events: Entomology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives

siciscio
Member
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: December 30th, 2011, 11:32 am
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Behind a laptop
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by siciscio » February 16th, 2013, 8:23 pm

Um... I have a question about the 2.5 cm rule. I sent an event clarification earlier, and I know that this isn't a place for clarifications, but I wanted your opinions on the subject matter.

I have a portion of my device extend below the lip of the beaker. And it's basically a cylinder that's attached to the under side of the lid. it goes into the beaker like a cap and the lip beaker touches the under side of the lid. The problem is that the tube extends (inside the beaker) lower than the lip of the beaker.

the rule states that "top surface hole must be less than 2.5 cm above the top lip of the beaker". In your opinion would this length include the extension mentioned above?

Thank you :)
WindPower, Bridges.

ychen428
Member
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: July 30th, 2012, 8:06 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by ychen428 » February 16th, 2013, 9:31 pm

I have a very similar device to yours, with something going around and inside my beaker. During our Invitationals, the proctors measured it from the beaker, not the extension, so I would say the extension does not count towards the 2.5cm. It should be within 2.5cm even without the extension.
Beside, it makes sense this way. Otherwise teams would all have extensions to increase the distance from the top hole since most of the heat loss is through the top whole.

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2105
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by chalker » February 17th, 2013, 6:06 pm

We've posted a new FAQ about commercial insulation that will hopefully clear some things up: http://soinc.org/node/1112

In addition, there are some other FAQs that might be of interest: http://soinc.org/node/838

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

inthewoods
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: February 5th, 2013, 1:13 pm
Division: C
State: CO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by inthewoods » February 18th, 2013, 3:20 pm

chalker wrote:We've posted a new FAQ about commercial insulation that will hopefully clear some things up: http://soinc.org/node/1112

In addition, there are some other FAQs that might be of interest: http://soinc.org/node/838
FAQ is
02/17/2013 - 21:42 Does the "250mL standard, unaltered empty Pyrex (or similar brand name) beaker" have to be made of glass?
Answer: No.

Doesn't this violate the event rule of a standard 250ml "Pyrex" beaker since the definition of Pyrex is A hard heat-resistant type of glass, typically used for ovenware." Does this mean someone can use a plastic beaker?

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2105
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by chalker » February 18th, 2013, 3:49 pm

inthewoods wrote: FAQ is
02/17/2013 - 21:42 Does the "250mL standard, unaltered empty Pyrex (or similar brand name) beaker" have to be made of glass?
Answer: No.

Doesn't this violate the event rule of a standard 250ml "Pyrex" beaker since the definition of Pyrex is A hard heat-resistant type of glass, typically used for ovenware." Does this mean someone can use a plastic beaker?
I think the key words are "or similar brand name". The rules don't say "or similar brand name glass beaker". I don't see any major competitive advantage of using a glass vs. a plastic beaker, and we want this event to be as accessible to everyone as possible, so if you only have plastic beakers available that should be ok.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

awesome90220
Member
Member
Posts: 158
Joined: March 10th, 2012, 5:19 pm
Division: B
State: AL
Location: somewhere on this cruel, harsh planet
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by awesome90220 » February 18th, 2013, 6:33 pm

135scioly wrote:
ChrisYim wrote:Hey guys. I just wanted to clarify my interpretation of the rules.
We attach an insulator directly on top of the beaker as long as there's a 1.5 cm hole in the center, right?
Yes, you can have an insulator on top but it shouldn't be too thick because keep in mind that your beaker must be 2.5 cm from the top of your insulator, which some people interpret to be the tallest point of your box.

Also, can somebody explain the boundary work equation for constant pressure and temperature?
Could i put a lid on the beaker if there isn't a hole, I know this is in the rules, but I remember seeing someone's device with a full lid
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20

User avatar
foreverphysics
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 494
Joined: May 20th, 2011, 8:41 pm
Division: Grad
State: AL
Location: Deep inside a physics book
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 22 times
Contact:

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by foreverphysics » February 18th, 2013, 8:42 pm

awesome90220 wrote:
135scioly wrote:
ChrisYim wrote:Hey guys. I just wanted to clarify my interpretation of the rules.
We attach an insulator directly on top of the beaker as long as there's a 1.5 cm hole in the center, right?
Yes, you can have an insulator on top but it shouldn't be too thick because keep in mind that your beaker must be 2.5 cm from the top of your insulator, which some people interpret to be the tallest point of your box.

Also, can somebody explain the boundary work equation for constant pressure and temperature?
Could i put a lid on the beaker if there isn't a hole, I know this is in the rules, but I remember seeing someone's device with a full lid
You are not allowed to put it directly on the beaker. It must be at least 2.5 cm away from it. If you saw that, then that team was breaking regulations.
That being said, how do you not know the rules yet? Do I need to go over the rules again with you guys before Regs?
Image
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"

sjwon3789
Member
Member
Posts: 107
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 3:45 pm
Division: C
State: VA
Location: Virginia
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by sjwon3789 » February 18th, 2013, 8:48 pm

foreverphysics wrote: You are not allowed to put it directly on the beaker. It must be at least 2.5 cm away from it. If you saw that, then that team was breaking regulations.
That being said, how do you not know the rules yet? Do I need to go over the rules again with you guys before Regs?
Wait, so you can't make a lid with a 1.5 cm diameter hole to cover the beaker? Can't we have a lid as long as the thermometer can access the beaker (plus the 1.5cm diameter rule)?
2013 Events: Boomilever, Keep the Heat, WIDI
2014 Events: Boomilever, Geologic Mapping, Mission Possible, Scrambler
2015 Events: Air Trajectory, Bridge Building, Mission Possible

Locked

Return to “2013 Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests