Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

sjwon3789
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by sjwon3789 » March 1st, 2013, 3:22 pm

I just noticed that my beakers were different...is there a chance that the ES in regional is going to be lenient or careless about beakers being different?
2013 Events: Boomilever, Keep the Heat, WIDI
2014 Events: Boomilever, Geologic Mapping, Mission Possible, Scrambler
2015 Events: Air Trajectory, Bridge Building, Mission Possible

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MN

Post by Luo » March 1st, 2013, 3:24 pm

retired1 wrote:I hope that the rules committee for 2014 will be a little more specific.
According to the summer institute schedule (current as of 2/14), it doesn't look like Keep the Heat or Thermodynamics will be events next year. It appears that they will be replaced by Simple/Complex Machines, unless plans change between now and the summer.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

ychen428
State: CA

Post by ychen428 » March 1st, 2013, 5:28 pm

What are the chances that they change it again, since if you look here http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... -22-12.pdf , they decided to change Thermo rather recently :(.

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo » March 1st, 2013, 6:57 pm

ychen428 wrote:What are the chances that they change it again, since if you look here http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... -22-12.pdf , they decided to change Thermo rather recently :(.
I don't know the status of things this year (or whether it's even worth it to speculate), but the schedule that was posted last year on 2/21/12 turned out to be the final event slate for 2012-2013.
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat » March 1st, 2013, 7:10 pm

ychen428 wrote:What are the chances that they change it again, since if you look here http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... -22-12.pdf , they decided to change Thermo rather recently :(.
Furthermore, the older agenda from which it changed was posted all the way back in August, so it was never a very definitive source on probable events. In addition, physics events usually only run for two years, so it is unlikely for it to repeat for a third.
sjwon3789 wrote:I just noticed that my beakers were different...is there a chance that the ES in regional is going to be lenient or careless about beakers being different?
Yes, there is always a chance the ES will overlook something; however, it is a risk you probably should not take. Ideally the event supervisor should strictly enforce the identicalness of the beakers lest a team gain an advantage by having their external beaker cool more.
Last edited by Schrodingerscat on March 1st, 2013, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

135scioly
State: MO

Post by 135scioly » March 1st, 2013, 7:14 pm

sjwon3789 wrote:I just noticed that my beakers were different...is there a chance that the ES in regional is going to be lenient or careless about beakers being different?
This happened to me where one beaker was Pyrex, and one was Kimex, and they were actually different dimensions. The supervisors didn't mind at all.
2014 Events: Entomology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives

retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 » March 2nd, 2013, 6:21 pm

We had a team DQ'd at state last year because Cat C required that they be identical. We were going by div B rules and overlooked the difference. That is what you get for not reading the rules over and over with a fine tooth comb.
All of thermos jugs met div C rules.

sjwon3789
State: VA

Post by sjwon3789 » March 2nd, 2013, 8:39 pm

Why not 4 pts deduction? Wouldn't it just be Competition section requirement violation or were the rules different last year?

The ES didn't notice it :D
2013 Events: Boomilever, Keep the Heat, WIDI
2014 Events: Boomilever, Geologic Mapping, Mission Possible, Scrambler
2015 Events: Air Trajectory, Bridge Building, Mission Possible

Zuul
Division: B
State: IL

Post by Zuul » March 3rd, 2013, 4:54 pm

chalker wrote:Regarding impounding the calculators, I thought it'd be helpful to publicly post some thoughts I've already privately provided to various people. Please note all of this is of course just my opinion and not the official position of SO:
Thanks for the clarification. I agree the rules only called out goggles as the exception, so it makes sense calculators should be impounded.
Coach SOM, KTH
1st place IMSA Regional 2013 - heading to State!

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo » March 3rd, 2013, 5:13 pm

Zuul wrote:I agree the rules only called out goggles as the exception, so it makes sense calculators should be impounded.
I think that the debate was not necessarily what the rules say, but rather the merits of what the rules say (specifically, the merits of excluding only goggles, not calculators, from impound in the rules).

Return to “2013 Lab Events”