Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Locked
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 947
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by Skink » March 12th, 2013, 1:54 pm

They may not post it. My understanding is they post recurring questions as an FAQ and simply write you a response for interpretive questions that don't come up often or are not deemed worth posting for everyone.

inthewoods
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: February 5th, 2013, 1:13 pm
Division: C
State: CO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by inthewoods » March 12th, 2013, 3:09 pm

Skink wrote:They may not post it. My understanding is they post recurring questions as an FAQ and simply write you a response for interpretive questions that don't come up often or are not deemed worth posting for everyone.
What is considered official and what isn't? Its my understanding the FAQ are as official as the Rules Clarification and since I sent the inquiry to the National rules committee and they responded then what? Their response contradicts the post on FAQ.

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 947
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by Skink » March 12th, 2013, 4:24 pm

If it's posted on the National site, it's official. The same goes for anything sent by (I think it's) noreply@soinc.org. If it's contradictory? The newest FAQs would norm earlier ones (in the case of events like this one or Egg Drop) since that's what supervisors would download or print and enforce.
Note: rules clarifications are changes to the wording of the rules. FAQs are interpretations of the rules as-is. Both are equally important. In fact, to use another example, a Food Sci Clarification has been ruled effectively null and void (or, at the very least, a waste of our time) by a recent FAQ. Stay up to date, and I see no reason why you would get stung.

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 507
Joined: March 21st, 2011, 1:31 pm
Division: Grad
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by Luo » March 12th, 2013, 5:18 pm

inthewoods wrote:I just received a response from sonic.org to my concern listed above and the response was "They must be Pyrex glass." I received the email March 11 4:49pm if that is helpful. FAQ has not yet posted the response they gave me. This is very confusing and needs to be addressed. Thank you!!!!!!
I, too, recently submitted a FAQ about Thermodynamics and received an extremely curt and perplexing email response from no-reply@soinc.org that doesn't seem to adhere to the spirit of the rules. I wonder if there is some sort of miscommunication in the soinc FAQ responding hierarchy, because the fact that someone else received a similarly weird response to a separate question is quite disconcerting. Hopefully this will all be sorted out and soinc will amend these responses. Perhaps Chalker can look into this?
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

Zuul
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: March 8th, 2012, 10:10 am
Division: B
State: IL
Location: Chicagoland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by Zuul » March 12th, 2013, 6:55 pm

inthewoods wrote: I just received a response from sonic.org to my concern listed above and the response was "They must be Pyrex glass." I received the email March 11 4:49pm if that is helpful. FAQ has not yet posted the response they gave me. This is very confusing and needs to be addressed. Thank you!!!!!!
I just checked the FAQs and nothing is posted yet. I don't think it will be considered "official" at an event until it is posted. We make sure to bring a print out of the latest FAQs to an event, just in case there are any questions.
Coach SOM, KTH
1st place IMSA Regional 2013 - heading to State!

User avatar
tangentline
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: September 29th, 2012, 6:17 pm
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: Sacramento
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by tangentline » March 12th, 2013, 7:09 pm

Is the ice water 0 degrees C? If not... It's going to throw my predictions off...

User avatar
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 268
Joined: March 17th, 2010, 12:28 pm
Division: Grad
State: TX
Location: C-Dub (CyWoods)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by harryk » March 13th, 2013, 7:23 am

tangentline wrote:Is the ice water 0 degrees C? If not... It's going to throw my predictions off...
Likely not. The ice-water may be slightly colder if the ice was freshly taken from a freezer that was below 0°, or it could be slightly warmer if all the ice has melted and it's been sitting on the counter. Plan to bring your own thermometer to measure the ice-water.
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2106
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by chalker » March 14th, 2013, 6:03 am

Luo wrote:
inthewoods wrote:I just received a response from sonic.org to my concern listed above and the response was "They must be Pyrex glass." I received the email March 11 4:49pm if that is helpful. FAQ has not yet posted the response they gave me. This is very confusing and needs to be addressed. Thank you!!!!!!
I, too, recently submitted a FAQ about Thermodynamics and received an extremely curt and perplexing email response from no-reply@soinc.org that doesn't seem to adhere to the spirit of the rules. I wonder if there is some sort of miscommunication in the soinc FAQ responding hierarchy, because the fact that someone else received a similarly weird response to a separate question is quite disconcerting. Hopefully this will all be sorted out and soinc will amend these responses. Perhaps Chalker can look into this?
I get copied on the responses and saw that too. I'm trying to get the issue corrected as I agree it's not an appropriate reply.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2106
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by chalker » March 14th, 2013, 6:06 am

harryk wrote:
tangentline wrote:Is the ice water 0 degrees C? If not... It's going to throw my predictions off...
Likely not. The ice-water may be slightly colder if the ice was freshly taken from a freezer that was below 0°, or it could be slightly warmer if all the ice has melted and it's been sitting on the counter. Plan to bring your own thermometer to measure the ice-water.
Water with ice in it is by definition 0 degrees Celsius (it's actually how they originally calibrated the Celsius scale, along with boiling water for 100). True there might be slight transient variations depending on how long the ice has been in the water, but in general you can reasonably assume it will be at 0 as long as both ice and water are present.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Cheesy Pie
Member
Member
Posts: 594
Joined: January 29th, 2011, 4:34 pm
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by Cheesy Pie » March 14th, 2013, 8:47 am

chalker wrote:
harryk wrote:
tangentline wrote:Is the ice water 0 degrees C? If not... It's going to throw my predictions off...
Likely not. The ice-water may be slightly colder if the ice was freshly taken from a freezer that was below 0°, or it could be slightly warmer if all the ice has melted and it's been sitting on the counter. Plan to bring your own thermometer to measure the ice-water.
Water with ice in it is by definition 0 degrees Celsius (it's actually how they originally calibrated the Celsius scale, along with boiling water for 100). True there might be slight transient variations depending on how long the ice has been in the water, but in general you can reasonably assume it will be at 0 as long as both ice and water are present.
I believe that if both ice and water are present, the temperature is between 0 and 0.01 C (melting point and triple point)
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE

Locked

Return to “2013 Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests