Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

mattclaridge
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by mattclaridge »

harryk wrote:I've derived an equation that accounts for initial temp, ambient temp, volume of water, and time. All in one single equation that is based on a value taken from only one calibration plot. Though I'm too selfish to post it :D
This. I shall find this.
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.” -"The Name of the Wind"
istou
State: CA

Post by istou »

harryk wrote:
maggeey wrote:Does anyone know if we can use tinfoil in our keep the heat boxes? I saw a whole bunch of teams with it or some other reflective stuff at regionals. I think it might help me if I could use it.
Seriously, do we need to have a sticky about this? Look in the rules and the rest if this thread, the answer should not be hard to find
To make it simple - you can use reflecting foils, their very useful.
bearasauras

Post by bearasauras »

istou wrote: Hi Bearasauras,
Thank you for your response. I will check with our head coach on Friday. I very much appreciate your help with taking care of that topic, Peter? or Allen?:)
Anyway, it was a great event! If you need any help in the future, please let me know. Maybe some lab equipment or test preparation/check, etc.
Thank you!
Thanks Igor and thank you for supporting this program.
Peter
istou

Post by istou »

mattclaridge wrote:
harryk wrote:I've derived an equation that accounts for initial temp, ambient temp, volume of water, and time. All in one single equation that is based on a value taken from only one calibration plot. Though I'm too selfish to post it :D
This. I shall find this.
I would suggest rather than trying to fit it all with one equation to try and measure points every 25 ml and every 10 degrees. It is about 2 days of work but well worth it.
Don't forget to measure a temperature right after the liquid is poured into the beaker. That helped us a lot!
istou

Post by istou »

bearasauras wrote:
istou wrote: Hi Bearasauras,
Thank you for your response. I will check with our head coach on Friday. I very much appreciate your help with taking care of that topic, Peter? or Allen?:)
Anyway, it was a great event! If you need any help in the future, please let me know. Maybe some lab equipment or test preparation/check, etc.
Thank you!
Thanks Igor and thank you for supporting this program.
Peter
Thanks to you too, Peter! You are doing a huge thing for smart students! Good luck next year!
maggeey
Division: B
State: UT

Post by maggeey »

istou wrote:
maggeey wrote:Does anyone know if we can use tinfoil in our keep the heat boxes? I saw a whole bunch of teams with it or some other reflective stuff at regionals. I think it might help me if I could use it.
[/quote]

Thanks istou, this is my first time on this event. I just looked it up and aluminum is a metal, so I'm thinking I can't use tin foil. Is there reflecting foils that aren't plastic or metal we can use?
hmcginny
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by hmcginny »

maggeey wrote:
istou wrote:
Thanks istou, this is my first time on this event. I just looked it up and aluminum is a metal, so I'm thinking I can't use tin foil. Is there reflecting foils that aren't plastic or metal we can use?
Note that the words metal and plastic are in parentheses in reference to foams. That means no metal foams, plastic foams etc... not that you can't use metal or plastic. Aluminum/tin foil is fine to use.
Harriton 2013 (Captain 2012-2013)
Penn 2017

2014 PA State Compound Machines Supervisor

Past Events: Fermi, Thermo, WIDI, Maglev, TPS, Chem Lab, Mission, Sounds, Trajectory, Mousetrap, etc.
istou

Post by istou »

maggeey wrote:
istou wrote:
Thanks istou, this is my first time on this event. I just looked it up and aluminum is a metal, so I'm thinking I can't use tin foil. Is there reflecting foils that aren't plastic or metal we can use?[/quote]

You can use standard aluminum folder you can buy at any supermarket. Make sure a beaker does not see any not foiled area. Minimize amount of air around the beaker. Make sure you have 2-3 layers of cardboard or some other insulator above the beaker and keep the 1.5 cm hole open. Add some bids under the beaker.
We got one 1st and two 3d places with our thermos at world toughest competition.
maggeey
Division: B
State: UT

Post by maggeey »

You can use standard aluminum folder you can buy at any supermarket. Make sure a beaker does not see any not foiled area. Minimize amount of air around the beaker. Make sure you have 2-3 layers of cardboard or some other insulator above the beaker and keep the 1.5 cm hole open. Add some bids under the beaker.
We got one 1st and two 3d places with our thermos at world toughest competition.[/quote]

Okay, thanks.
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by ScienceOlympian »

Any topics I should study for state? Other than the rules.
What thermodynamic formulas are needed?
Any good sites?
Any specific sites on the history of Thermodynamics?
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage

Return to “2013 Lab Events”