Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by ScienceOlympian »

BYE KEEP THE HEAT!
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

ScienceOlympian wrote:BYE KEEP THE HEAT!
And good riddance.

Actually, I say that, but, despite logistical difficulties that have been had running this event at many tournaments, watching middle schoolers' learning in this event has been incredible. There is something to be said when a 9-12 year-old can top their older sibling who is taking honors courses in high school that include studying the topic. The fact that it was a learning-build event hybrid helped appeal to a larger base of students, too. The builders could stomach the algebra and theory, and the nerds lost in the clouds could get their hands dirty constructing the box. It was a great event that I'll miss in some strange way.

That said, my favorite Keep the Heat moment was when a supervisor told me she forgot to record my team's final temperature and was going to make it up. Yeah, you can't do that. :lol:
Fablemaster
Division: B

Post by Fablemaster »

iwonder wrote:Probably a new scoring method and dimension changes. I could dream of allowing more materials, but I doubt it.
When I was in the KTH State test, One of the teams got kicked out for making their box out of Quark. However, they wouldn't allow them to take the test, so I took the clarifacations out and showed the supervisors that they could still take the test, but they didn't listen. It really made me mad. :evil:
bearasauras

Post by bearasauras »

Ah, you must be talking about the NorCal State Tournament. If that's the tournament, are you sure about this? The NorCal State Director and I were the ones responsible for arbitration at the NorCal State Tournament. We heard about teams that were not allowed to take the test because their device weren't within the parameters, but we talked to the Event Supervisor for the event and allowed those teams to take the written test. We personally called the coaches of these teams to tell them about this.
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by ScienceOlympian »

Fablemaster wrote:
iwonder wrote:Probably a new scoring method and dimension changes. I could dream of allowing more materials, but I doubt it.
When I was in the KTH State test, One of the teams got kicked out for making their box out of Quark. However, they wouldn't allow them to take the test, so I took the clarifacations out and showed the supervisors that they could still take the test, but they didn't listen. It really made me mad. :evil:
Fablemaster, did you compete in Keep the Heat during the first or second time slot at NorCal state? I was competing during the first tome slot.
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage

Return to “2013 Lab Events”