Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

awesome90220
Division: B
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by awesome90220 »

ychen428 wrote:Isn't there a maximum of 150mL for testing???
For division B, regionals is 100-200, in 25 mL increments, so they weren't allowed to do 170
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
sjwon3789
Division: C
State: VA

Post by sjwon3789 »

So could anyone answer my question: Are cement glue considered as "expandable glue?"
I don't really understand when they say "expandable glue." Doesn't all glues expand?
2013 Events: Boomilever, Keep the Heat, WIDI
2014 Events: Boomilever, Geologic Mapping, Mission Possible, Scrambler
2015 Events: Air Trajectory, Bridge Building, Mission Possible
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

sjwon3789 wrote:So could anyone answer my question: Are cement glue considered as "expandable glue?"
I don't really understand when they say "expandable glue." Doesn't all glues expand?
Most glues don't expand by any noticable amount (and in fact a lot actually shrink as they harden).

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
sjwon3789

Post by sjwon3789 »

What about some glue that doesn't change size (solid)? It looks like it's expandable since it's solid but it's actually not...
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by harryk »

sjwon3789 wrote:So could anyone answer my question: Are cement glue considered as "expandable glue?"
sjwon3789 wrote:What about some glue that doesn't change size (solid)? It looks like it's expandable since it's solid but it's actually not...
Expandable glue is considered to be glues that greatly increase in volume when hardening, often turning into a hard foam. The most well known type of expanding glue is Gorilla Glue, if you've ever used it you'll know why. So if your glue doesn't do that, than you should be fine.

As for cement, real cement glue consists of a solvent often containing dissolved material of whatever the glue is meant for(ex. ABS cement will have dissolved ABS in a bottle of solvent). Cements work by actually chemically melting the surface and then in essence welding the two pieces together. Unfortunately many glues are called cement that aren't really cement.
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
awesome90220

Post by awesome90220 »

harryk wrote:
sjwon3789 wrote:What about some glue that doesn't change size (solid)? It looks like it's expandable since it's solid but it's actually not...
Expandable glue is considered to be glues that greatly increase in volume when hardening, often turning into a hard foam. The most well known type of expanding glue is Gorilla Glue, if you've ever used it you'll know why. So if your glue doesn't do that, than you should be fine.

As for cement, real cement glue consists of a solvent often containing dissolved material of whatever the glue is meant for(ex. ABS cement will have dissolved ABS in a bottle of solvent). Cements work by actually chemically melting the surface and then in essence welding the two pieces together. Unfortunately many glues are called cement that aren't really cement.
Is there any type of list for expandable glues?
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by harryk »

awesome90220 wrote:
harryk wrote:

Is there any type of list for expandable glues?
You could search google for a list, but since the number of different glues is so great(practically infinite), you're unlikely to find a useful list. It should just be common sense to identify an expanding glue. Let a test sample harden and if it grew in volume and is now full of air bubbles, it is an expandable glue. If it didn't, then its not.
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
sjwon3789

Post by sjwon3789 »

Also, do we need to take out our beaker? Like, my beaker is attached to this insulators (not transparent)...?
awesome90220

Post by awesome90220 »

sjwon3789 wrote:Also, do we need to take out our beaker? Like, my beaker is attached to this insulators (not transparent)...?
In the two competitions, I have had so far, I would have to say, YUP
135scioly
State: MO

Post by 135scioly »

So you mean your internal beaker can't come out of your insulating device? I would think that might be difficult to fill up with hot water, and they might want to make sure it really is a 250 ml beaker for impound. So I'm guessing no....?
2014 Events: Entomology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives

Return to “2013 Lab Events”