Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
siciscio
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by siciscio »

Any thoughts on how the rules will/has changed for Keep the Heat? ;)
Last edited by siciscio on October 2nd, 2012, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WindPower, Bridges.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

Probably a new scoring method and dimension changes. I could dream of allowing more materials, but I doubt it.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
siciscio
State: NY

Post by siciscio »

Yeah thats whats mostlikely going to happen. But do you think theres a chance they'd change the guidelines/rules about the test? a bit more of information maybe? :roll:
WindPower, Bridges.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

Oh, I have no idea what they'd do to the test, I think it's going to end up being the same thing, honestly.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by harryk »

Unless they outlined exactly what could be tested, then I would expect it to be the same
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

siciscio wrote:Yeah thats whats most likely going to happen. But do you think theres a chance they'd change the guidelines/rules about the test? a bit more of information maybe? :roll:
In other words, you found last year's rules too vague. I'd agree to a degree, but too clearly defined rules wouldn't work for this event since you get a binder. Theoretically, you can hole punch sections of thermo textbooks and bring them in your binder (I'm not saying this would be effective...refer to Dr. Chalker's photo of the giant binder), so having less well-defined test topics like 'thermodynamic processes' is better than if it listed three for you to know and have in your binder.
And the rest actually weren't bad. Temperature conversions is clear...I suppose the history one was vague, yeah. That's where coming prepared for anything may help. Yeah, I'm not anticipating this section to be reworded at all, unfortunately.
havenbro
State: PA

Post by havenbro »

Skink wrote:
siciscio wrote:Yeah thats whats most likely going to happen. But do you think theres a chance they'd change the guidelines/rules about the test? a bit more of information maybe? :roll:
In other words, you found last year's rules too vague. I'd agree to a degree, but too clearly defined rules wouldn't work for this event since you get a binder. Theoretically, you can hole punch sections of thermo textbooks and bring them in your binder (I'm not saying this would be effective...refer to Dr. Chalker's photo of the giant binder), so having less well-defined test topics like 'thermodynamic processes' is better than if it listed three for you to know and have in your binder.
And the rest actually weren't bad. Temperature conversions is clear...I suppose the history one was vague, yeah. That's where coming prepared for anything may help. Yeah, I'm not anticipating this section to be reworded at all, unfortunately.
I'm just going to say that I agree that the rules were vague last year: there was an entire page on the building rules, then only a small paragraph at the end describing the test rules.
Nationals Medals:
2012: Meteorology B (6th Place)
2013: Reach for the Stars B (3rd Place)
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

I'm really excited for this year--I think we can medal at Nats this year. We came in tenth last year, and that was only because our device was completely ruined the night before and I had to make a new one in the space of 30 minutes.

I like the test rules as they are...except that all the tests are exceptionally easy, even at Nats. I think there was maybe one question that my partner and I had trouble with, and we figured it out all right in the end. (I think we only placed tenth because our prediction was about 10 degrees Celsius lower than what our actual temperature was...)
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
Paleomaniac
State: CA

Post by Paleomaniac »

One thing I was seriously hoping would change was the way the actual testing of the "box" was done. There were many sources of error and that really reduced the accuracy of the measurement of the box's insulating capabilities. This was a big thing last year. Anyone else notice???
2015 events: Experimental Design, Fossils, Technical Problem Solving
Event Experience: Ornithology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Anatomy, Storm the Castle, Remote Sensing, Thermodynamics, Rocks and Minerals, Technical Problem Solving, Forensics, Anatomy and Physiology

Return to “2013 Lab Events”