Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

mingtian
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by mingtian »

chalker wrote:
mingtian wrote:Is anybody going to take up the bonus point challenge and add ice water to their beaker? It doesn't say how many bonus points so I'm not sure if it's worth it or not. If you do, are you allowed to make your prediction AFTER seeing the temperature of the hot water+the cool water?

Also, the rules say "Teams may submit up to 4 plots for scoring. Teams may be asked by the supervisor to submit
them prior to the tournament.". Are they giving points on how good the graphs are or are they just merely checking over them to make sure that you did some work and aren't just guessing? Would I have points taken off for submitting less than 4 plots?
I'd suggest you look closely at section 5 of the rules (the scoring section). Most of your questions are answered there.
Ok, didn't see that thank you.
sercle
State: MN
Been thanked: 0

Post by sercle »

mingtian wrote:Is anybody going to take up the bonus point challenge and add ice water to their beaker? It doesn't say how many bonus points so I'm not sure if it's worth it or not. If you do, are you allowed to make your prediction AFTER seeing the temperature of the hot water+the cool water?

Also, the rules say "Teams may submit up to 4 plots for scoring. Teams may be asked by the supervisor to submit
them prior to the tournament.". Are they giving points on how good the graphs are or are they just merely checking over them to make sure that you did some work and aren't just guessing? Would I have points taken off for submitting less than 4 plots?
I believe they check the graphs to make sure you have axes, units, labels, etc. and I'm sure they would state the temperature of the cold water, and you can calculate from there to see if its worthwhile or not.
JRoo
EVSO
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

Scoring rule 5- at 5(c) very clearly lays it out. You can submit up to 4. One is chosen by the ES for scoring. max graph score is 10 pts; the amounts to be deducted for what may not be in the graph is stated, item by item.

Rule #1 - read, and know, the rules......
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
135scioly
State: MO

Post by 135scioly »

For people who have already competed in this event, when you impound your device, do they actually check to see if it fits in a 15 cm box? Because our device is just barely 15 cm, maybe 1 mm over, and it has a latch on it which could make it difficult to fit into a 15 cm box. Would this be a problem and would we have to remake the whole device?
2014 Events: Entomology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives
foreverphysics
Division: Grad
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

They do indeed actually check. I believe most event supervisors just make a 15^3 box and slip it over your device. If it fits, you're good. If not...well...
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

They do indeed actually check. I believe most event supervisors just make a 15^3 box and slip it over your device. If it fits, you're good. If not...well...
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
135scioly

Post by 135scioly »

foreverphysics wrote:They do indeed actually check. I believe most event supervisors just make a 15^3 box and slip it over your device. If it fits, you're good. If not...well...
Oh wow, I don't think ours is going to fit... This sucks :? Well, I better start rebuilding! Thanks!!
sr243
State: WI

Post by sr243 »

I am wondering if I should use all the space provided or actually minimize the space. I thought that a smaller space would be better since it would keep the heat confined as long as it actually insulates. Small rooms and houses are easier to insulate than larger ones so I was thinking along the same lines for this event. Anyone have insight into this?
Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

sr243 wrote:I am wondering if I should use all the space provided or actually minimize the space. I thought that a smaller space would be better since it would keep the heat confined as long as it actually insulates. Small rooms and houses are easier to insulate than larger ones so I was thinking along the same lines for this event. Anyone have insight into this?
That is a slightly different situation. Larger houses and rooms have more surface area and are therefore harder to insulate. However, a larger thermo device generally just means more insulation, although you could potentially have problems with an increased heat capacity depending upon what insulation is used.
135scioly

Post by 135scioly »

So we have to use a 250 mL beaker right? We can't use 100 ML beaker? And if that's true, does anyone happen to have the dimensions of a 250 mL beaker on them?

Return to “2013 Lab Events”