Technical Problem Solving C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Technical Problem Solving C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
tying15
Division: B
State: KS
Been thanked: 0

Re: Technical Problem Solving C

Post by tying15 »

Does anyone know what to use the page of notes that we're allowed to bring for?
I got 2nd place in WIDI Kansas state competition in 2010-2011!
nlg734
Division: C
State: KS

Post by nlg734 »

tying15 wrote:Does anyone know what to use the page of notes that we're allowed to bring for?
I was planning to use mine for formulas and definitions of variables and key words that would be useful to know. And conversions for certain units, just in case. For example, from Torr to atm. If anyone has better ideas, I would like to hear them as well.
Mr E
State: TX

Post by Mr E »

Hey people. Has anybody been to an invitational that had questions that were actually based on what it said in the rules? The invitational I went to asked me questions about physics and chemistry.
Tomball Science Olympiad
Events(2013)-Boomilever, Rocks and Minerals, Circuit Lab, Technical Problem Solving, MagLev
2012- TX -States - Sounds of Music (1st), Rocks and Minerals (7th)
purplepeopleeater

Post by purplepeopleeater »

Well technically the rules do encompass Chemistry and Physics, but I know what you mean. Our first invite used a test from the test exchange... :(
No matter what the experiment's result, there will always be someone eager to:(a) misinterpret it(b) fake it, or (c) believe it supports his own pet theory.
2010 Nationals---
  • 3rd Model This, 17th Bio Process Lab, 27th Science Crime Busters
Paleomaniac
State: CA

Post by Paleomaniac »

nlg734 wrote:
tying15 wrote:Does anyone know what to use the page of notes that we're allowed to bring for?
I was planning to use mine for formulas and definitions of variables and key words that would be useful to know. And conversions for certain units, just in case. For example, from Torr to atm. If anyone has better ideas, I would like to hear them as well.
The national rules state that the event supervisor will provide a list of mathematical relationships, formulas, or constants. So unless I am misunderstanding this part of the rules, I am assuming the formulas and definitions will already be provided so... kind of confused
2015 events: Experimental Design, Fossils, Technical Problem Solving
Event Experience: Ornithology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Anatomy, Storm the Castle, Remote Sensing, Thermodynamics, Rocks and Minerals, Technical Problem Solving, Forensics, Anatomy and Physiology
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

In theory, they should be provided. However, this is not a given, as a lot of supervisors tend to follow the rules for this event quite loosely. It's best to be familiar with the formulas beforehand, so even if they are provided, you've encountered them before and know exactly what to do with them.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Mr E

Post by Mr E »

I feel like I have to study for all kinds of math-involved science for this event, since the rules are followed so loosely. This makes it pretty stressful :(
Tomball Science Olympiad
Events(2013)-Boomilever, Rocks and Minerals, Circuit Lab, Technical Problem Solving, MagLev
2012- TX -States - Sounds of Music (1st), Rocks and Minerals (7th)
cngu23
State: MD

Post by cngu23 »

Mr E wrote:I feel like I have to study for all kinds of math-involved science for this event, since the rules are followed so loosely. This makes it pretty stressful :(
I believe this year, it is limited to enzymatic reactions and sound.
Marriotts Ridge 11-
Walter Johnson 09-11

13 MD Regional/State
Material S (2/-) TPS (-/2)
12 MD Regional/State
Remote S(2/6) Water Q(2/4) Optics (-/5)
11 MD Regional
Remote S(2) Eco(2) D Planet(3)
elmono
State: VA

Post by elmono »

For the rules of this event, it states that it will be covering decomposition rates. Is that relating to kinetics in chemistry and using the rate laws?

Return to “2013 Lab Events”