Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by caseyotis »

Skink wrote:
caseyotis wrote:Hi everyone,
About the aprons. Will the event supervisors be supplying those, or will I have to bring them in the event?
I wish. The rules clearly state that it's on you to wear the proper protection. And ensure that if you use aprons that you wear long sleeves; otherwise, you need lab coats. You cannot compete without these (in other words, you'd get an NS instead of a DQ). They're just as important as eye protection.
Okay, awesome! That means I can wear that all day and inscribe "FREE HUGS" on it, right? I was planning on wearing a long-sleeved shirt to that event. :lol:
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
theriddler

Post by theriddler »

On the wiki, it says the aluminum has a delayed reaction with HCl. However, when I tried this at school, I didn't seem to find any reaction whatsoever. I'm wondering if our HCl was just weak, or if nobody else saw a reaction with aluminum in HCl either.
"A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else"-John Burroughs
stephritz929
State: PA

Post by stephritz929 »

We definitely saw a reaction; it wasn't a big one, but it was a reaction. We have the same problem with our Iodine and H202. No reaction when practicing but at regionals there was a definite reaction.
Without motivation, what is success?
2012:
Regionals, States
Compute This: 14, 9
Disease Detectives: 3, 10
Team: 1, 7

2013:
Regionals, States
Crime Busters: 2, ?
Disease Detectives: 5, 5
Forestry: 2, ?
Helicopters: 9, ?
Team: 5, 3
stephritz929

Post by stephritz929 »

caseyotis wrote:Hi everyone,
About the aprons. Will the event supervisors be supplying those, or will I have to bring them in the event?
definitely bring your own. Half of the competitors at my regionals got booted before the test even began because they didn't have them.
2012:
Regionals, States

2013:
Regionals, States
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

theriddler wrote:On the wiki, it says the aluminum has a delayed reaction with HCl. However, when I tried this at school, I didn't seem to find any reaction whatsoever. I'm wondering if our HCl was just weak, or if nobody else saw a reaction with aluminum in HCl either.
I didn't see a reaction either, and I kept them together for five minutes, stirring all the way. >.> Hopefully I see a reaction at states.
Magnesium smelled so bad with HCl! :lol:

Yeah, I'm going to bring an apron. :P
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
theriddler

Post by theriddler »

stephritz929 wrote:We definitely saw a reaction; it wasn't a big one, but it was a reaction. We have the same problem with our Iodine and H202. No reaction when practicing but at regionals there was a definite reaction.
Was it delayed? If so, do you recall the approximate time between when the HCl interacted with the aluminum and the time of the fizz? kind of like the incubation period
"A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else"-John Burroughs
piimasta314
State: CA

Post by piimasta314 »

I suppose it all depends on what your materials are. Maybe your school HCl is diluted so that students not used to pouring chemicals won't end up in the emergency room if they splashed themselves. Or the aluminum you used wasn't as pure (if you just pulled it off a regular soda can or food tray I'm pretty sure that there's other stuff mixed in there that will make it less reactive to the environment in general.)
Worst excuse for not turning in homework: "I couldn't find anyone to copy it from."
stephritz929

Post by stephritz929 »

theriddler wrote:
stephritz929 wrote:We definitely saw a reaction; it wasn't a big one, but it was a reaction. We have the same problem with our Iodine and H202. No reaction when practicing but at regionals there was a definite reaction.
Was it delayed? If so, do you recall the approximate time between when the HCl interacted with the aluminum and the time of the fizz? kind of like the incubation period
The best way to tell is to compare it to a reaction with Zinc. Zinc, for us at least, bubbled within seconds, and they were rather larger bubbles. With Al, probably within the first 20 seconds tiny tiny tiny bubbles began to appear, but after letting it sit untouched for about a minute the entire sample was covered in tiny bubbles we almost didn't realize were there. we could "remove" the bubbles off of the aluminum like how you can with your finger wipe away condensation off a cup. or if you have something that you put in water, and it gets bubbles on it, those tiny rows of bubbles..this is beginning to not make much sense but that's basically what it looks like lol. cover the ENTIRE piece of metal in HCl, let it sit while you do other things, then look back and there should be tiny bubbles.
2012:
Regionals, States

2013:
Regionals, States
piimasta314
State: CA

Post by piimasta314 »

Anyway, aluminum is supposed to react with HCl and produce hydrogen gas. I suggest you look up an activity series chart on google images or something. You don't have to understand it yet; just know that anything above hydrogen will react with HCl to form hydrogen gas.
It goes: Lithium, Potassium, Barium, Calcium, Sodium, Magnesium, Aluminum, Manganese, Zinc, Chromium, Iron, Cobalt, Nickel, Tin, and Lead.
Lithium will react most violently...lead will not react as easily.
Aluminum as you can see is in the middle so it might take more time to react, but it's supposed to.
Worst excuse for not turning in homework: "I couldn't find anyone to copy it from."
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

I'm stuck. States is tomorrow and I have 1/4 of a page to fill on my cheat sheet. I have fingerprints; pictures of fibers; charts for metals, liquids, and crystal/powders; and plastics. .-. I also have the section on how to write a good analysis. What else should I put on?
Oh, and don't bother responding after today. :lol:
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”

Return to “2013 Lab Events”