Crime Busters B

bam
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by bam »

You'll probably be fine, I think questions about uses are more nationals level anyway, but there might be a few at states. Just make sure you have general background knowledge about what each powder is used in for your write up.

For example, if a suspect has been building something, and gypsum was found at the crime scene, that could incriminate them.
Strath Haven High School Science Olympiad Captain 2015 - 2016

Total SO medal count 2009 - 2016: 34
caseyotis
State: NY

Post by caseyotis »

I know a couple of them, I think.

Oh yeah, that makes sense. And if there's flour, there might be a cook, etc. Thank you! <3
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Ajullie1105
Division: B
State: MI

Post by Ajullie1105 »

At my regional tournament this year, they gave us 6 hairs, and didn't give us a microscope. Any tips for IDing cat, dog and human hair just by the looks? Also, the magnifying glass we had wasn't strong enough to see any medulas.
Food Science, Science Crime Busters, Awesome Aquifers, Road Scholar, Mission Possible, Disease Detectives, Forestry, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality!
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

Ajullie1105 wrote:At my regional tournament this year, they gave us 6 hairs, and didn't give us a microscope. Any tips for IDing cat, dog and human hair just by the looks? Also, the magnifying glass we had wasn't strong enough to see any medulas.
No microscope? Huh. I didn't do hairs, but you probably should have brought a strong enough magnifying glass with you (it kind of defeats the purpose of bringing it in if you can't use it effectively). We didn't even get hairs at our regional, though. >.>
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
Ajullie1105
State: MI

Post by Ajullie1105 »

caseyotis wrote:
Ajullie1105 wrote:At my regional tournament this year, they gave us 6 hairs, and didn't give us a microscope. Any tips for IDing cat, dog and human hair just by the looks? Also, the magnifying glass we had wasn't strong enough to see any medulas.
No microscope? Huh. I didn't do hairs, but you probably should have brought a strong enough magnifying glass with you (it kind of defeats the purpose of bringing it in if you can't use it effectively). We didn't even get hairs at our regional, though. >.>
Well sometimes I use the magnifying glasses we have to look at the crystal shapes of powders. It has never been something we thought we'd need for hairs.
Food Science, Science Crime Busters, Awesome Aquifers, Road Scholar, Mission Possible, Disease Detectives, Forestry, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality!
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

Ajullie1105 wrote:
caseyotis wrote:
Well sometimes I use the magnifying glasses we have to look at the crystal shapes of powders. It has never been something we thought we'd need for hairs.
Well, okay. But it should be a strong one anyways. x3
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
swimmerfiish
State: NC

Crime Busters B

Post by swimmerfiish »

On the state test, there was a multiple choice question like: What would you use to lift these fingerprints from --- surface? And then it had lipids, amino acids, and a few other choices. I've been trying to find the answer online but I haven't had any luck. Can anyone help?
bam

Post by bam »

swimmerfiish wrote:On the state test, there was a multiple choice question like: What would you use to lift these fingerprints from --- surface? And then it had lipids, amino acids, and a few other choices. I've been trying to find the answer online but I haven't had any luck. Can anyone help?
Usually fingerprints are lifted using powder and tape, but depending on the surface, they can also be lifted using casts and various tools. I'm not sure what the correct answer would be, but you can check out this link: http://www.csigizmos.com/classes/unusua ... andout.pdf

Sorry, this probably didn't help at all :lol:
Strath Haven High School Science Olympiad Captain 2015 - 2016

Total SO medal count 2009 - 2016: 34
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

swimmerfiish wrote:On the state test, there was a multiple choice question like: What would you use to lift these fingerprints from --- surface? And then it had lipids, amino acids, and a few other choices. I've been trying to find the answer online but I haven't had any luck. Can anyone help?
Lipids and amino acids? I haven't heard of that! It's not in the specs, right? Hmm...
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
computergeek3
Division: Grad

Post by computergeek3 »

caseyotis wrote:
Lipids and amino acids? I haven't heard of that! It's not in the specs, right? Hmm...
That's more related to Forensics in C Division...there are several methods of lifting fingerprints from various surfaces (dusting, cyanoacrylate fuming, iodine fuming, ninhydrin, and SPR). Each one of those reacts with a different compound in the fingerprint depending on the surface...check the Forensics wiki page for more information: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Forens ... evelopment
If you can't explain it simply, you don't know it well enough. -Albert Einstein

Bayard Rustin Science Olympiad 2010-2014
Pittsburgh Allderdice Assistant Coach

Return to “2013 Lab Events”