Crime Busters B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Crime Busters B

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
Isurus
Division: B
State: FL
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by Isurus »

I am a new SO volunteer and was given this even to work on. I have been looking through the various materials available and I keep seeing the water test and polymer test swapping places certain years. Does anyone know if we are supposed to focus on polymers in 2013 or are we supposed to teach both and it will be a surprise? I am just trying to figure out what materials I need to obtain.

Thanks
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

Isurus wrote:I am a new SO volunteer and was given this even to work on. I have been looking through the various materials available and I keep seeing the water test and polymer test swapping places certain years. Does anyone know if we are supposed to focus on polymers in 2013 or are we supposed to teach both and it will be a surprise? I am just trying to figure out what materials I need to obtain.

Thanks
Got the official rules yesterday... from what I could see there were absolutely no changes from last year in crime busters... Polymers it is!
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
awesome90220
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

Any tips? This is the first time I'm doing this event and I hope to not fail miserably.
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
aim4me26
State: CA

Post by aim4me26 »

awesome90220 wrote:Any tips? This is the first time I'm doing this event and I hope to not fail miserably.
I didn't look at the rules for this year, but make sure that everything; reactions, etc, that you need to know is on your cheat sheet if you are allowed to bring one. Look up some information online about those reactions, and if your team keeps binders with the things from previous years; look those over. Otherwise, then, you might want want to try the procedures out for yourself after school with your partner if possible. That really helps, as you'll know what you're doing so you aren't completely confused at the competition.

The main part of Crime Busters is identifying the unknown substances. Other than that, there are some parts where you have to match fingerprints. You might also have to see if threads are synthetic, vegetable, or man-made. Also, there is probably going to be at least one question on ink chromatography Make sure you know how to do this, it's not worth that many points, however, you'll want to do the best you can.

Is there anything else you need?

Edit: Also, the link at the top of the page isn't the actual Wiki page.
Here it is: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Science_Crime_Busters

^^Uhrm, read that over and tell me what you think? Did that help, or is it still unclear?
i know that i should be in bed
and its almost 3 am
but when i close my eyes i can only see miles of headlights
fleshing out the distance
awesome90220

Post by awesome90220 »

aim4me26 wrote:
awesome90220 wrote:Any tips? This is the first time I'm doing this event and I hope to not fail miserably.
I didn't look at the rules for this year, but make sure that everything; reactions, etc, that you need to know is on your cheat sheet if you are allowed to bring one. Look up some information online about those reactions, and if your team keeps binders with the things from previous years; look those over. Otherwise, then, you might want want to try the procedures out for yourself after school with your partner if possible. That really helps, as you'll know what you're doing so you aren't completely confused at the competition.

The main part of Crime Busters is identifying the unknown substances. Other than that, there are some parts where you have to match fingerprints. You might also have to see if threads are synthetic, vegetable, or man-made. Also, there is probably going to be at least one question on ink chromatography Make sure you know how to do this, it's not worth that many points, however, you'll want to do the best you can.

^^Uhrm, read that over and tell me what you think? Did that help, or is it still unclear?
Thank you. I've got most of it, but I don't have the threads, and I never thought to look anything over from previous years.
aim4me26
State: CA

Post by aim4me26 »

awesome90220 wrote:
aim4me26 wrote:

Thank you. I've got most of it, but I don't have the threads, and I never thought to look anything over from previous years.
No problem, as for the threads, I'll paste them here for you, but they're also on the wiki page.
2012 forum thread: http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=2962
2011 forum thread: http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=2215
2010 forums thread: http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1280

Also, you might want to look at tests, and try them out for yourself. They can be found on this page:
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/2012_T ... me_Busters

Everything can be found on the wiki; you really will want to read that over. Basically everything that you need to know in order to do well is on there, including those charts. They're very, very helpful.

Also, you might want to get your supplies ready now; you don't want to be looking for the safety stuff required to compete the day before the competition.

Oh, and also, when you're at the competition, leave quite a bit of time left for you to write your essay. If you wish, you might want to put the sample essay structure from the wiki onto your cheat sheet.

So basically, read the wiki. It's the key to everything. Also, post here if you need any help with anything; since I'm probably not competing, I could help you out a bit.
i know that i should be in bed
and its almost 3 am
but when i close my eyes i can only see miles of headlights
fleshing out the distance
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

I guess I'd look at it a little differently... yes, "cheat sheets" are allowed, but referencing them takes time. The goal should be to have the process (dichotimous key) and reactions memorized, so that you rarely need to look at the sheet. Secondly, Nearly all of the good teams will be within 1 or 2 correct answers on the unknowns and physical evidence.

What ALWAYS separates the good teams from the GREAT teams is the essay. Learn the tricks, learn what we Event Coordinators look for in an essay, and don't waste time writing sentences that will not result in points. Be specific, take chances and commit to a suspect, explain why it has to be him / her, AND why it absolutely could NOT be the other suspects. Consider the possibilities of multiple suspects, or no suspects. A well written scenario will usually have a couple of complex conditions (timelines that don't fit certain suspects, physical impossibilities like Big Bubba fitting through the pet door (sorry bubba), or allergic reactions of some of the suspects) that most teams will ignore... The really great teams capitalize on these and actually look for them, thus scoring 48 out of 50 on their essay, while the good teams score 10 and below. A final thought, look for evidence left by some of the suspects that can be easily explained like a suspect that's a baker left flour in his workplace, etc. Don't assume and don't overlook things like that... Those are easy points to be had.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
awesome90220

Post by awesome90220 »

aim4me26 wrote:
awesome90220 wrote:
aim4me26 wrote: I didn't look at the rules for this year, but make sure that everything; reactions, etc, that you need to know is on your cheat sheet if you are allowed to bring one. Look up some information online about those reactions, and if your team keeps binders with the things from previous years; look those over. Otherwise, then, you might want want to try the procedures out for yourself after school with your partner if possible. That really helps, as you'll know what you're doing so you aren't completely confused at the competition.

No problem, as for the threads, I'll paste them here for you, but they're also on the wiki page.
2012 forum thread: http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=2962
2011 forum thread: http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=2215
2010 forums thread: http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1280

Also, you might want to look at tests, and try them out for yourself. They can be found on this page:
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/2012_T ... me_Busters

Everything can be found on the wiki; you really will want to read that over. Basically everything that you need to know in order to do well is on there, including those charts. They're very, very helpful.

Also, you might want to get your supplies ready now; you don't want to be looking for the safety stuff required to compete the day before the competition.

Oh, and also, when you're at the competition, leave quite a bit of time left for you to write your essay. If you wish, you might want to put the sample essay structure from the wiki onto your cheat sheet.

So basically, read the wiki. It's the key to everything. Also, post here if you need any help with anything; since I'm probably not competing, I could help you out a bit.
I meant synthetic animal vegetable threads
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

You have to obtain some. Animal is easy; it's just human, dog, and cat or something, right? Far as the others, ask friends and others on your team. Plenty of older ladies have X, Y, and Z fabrics lying around. Have a list of what, specifically, you need, and go asking people.
And if you mean distinguishing between them, there's a figure somewhere...you have to use a microscope. I'd almost shrink it down and drop it on your cheat sheet until (if) it becomes second nature to you.

Return to “2013 Lab Events”