Metric Mastery B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Metric Mastery B

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
thehydrogenpoptart
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Re: Metric Mastery B

Post by thehydrogenpoptart »

So, what are some good ways to prepare for this event? It seems like something that's well, really difficult to prep for.
Current Events: Dynamic Planet, Entomology, and Experimental Design
Past events: Battery Buggy, Optics, Crime Busters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Compute This, Food Science, Heredity, Metric Mastery, Rotor Egg Drop, Meteorology, Boomilever, Experimental Design, Geologic Mapping
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

At first glance, it seems analogous to prepping for something like WIDI, Exp Design, or Fermi Questions. Set up problems yourself and get a feel for what you're doing. The rules outline what measurements you have to be able to make, so I would tackle each one and get an idea for A)how big certain things are (ex: is the volume of a penny .5mL, 5mL, 50mL, or 500mL? I'd guess it's closer to 5mL than the others) and B)how to use standard measurement tools for each of the listed parameters you'd have to measure. So, know HOW to measure that volume and what could be given to you to do so.
I'd take them one by one, personally. Distance is easy. Temperature I'd think is, too...now, estimating temperature? You got me, man. :?
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

The main thing to prepare is to get a background for certain values of distance, mass, temperature, etc. That was you have a standard to compare new objects to, which can make estimation a lot easier. Naturally, the more things you're familiar with, the more standards you will have and the easier the estimation will be.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
thehydrogenpoptart
State: NY

Post by thehydrogenpoptart »

All of these ways sound awesomesauce. I've started "going metric," that is to say, referring to distances and temperature in the metric system whenever I can.

Also, in the rules, it says that you may be required to estimate time? How exactly would you go about doing that?
Current Events: Dynamic Planet, Entomology, and Experimental Design
Past events: Battery Buggy, Optics, Crime Busters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Compute This, Food Science, Heredity, Metric Mastery, Rotor Egg Drop, Meteorology, Boomilever, Experimental Design, Geologic Mapping
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

I'd think you've been 'calibrated' to measure time since preschool...can you count to five? One sec-ond, two sec-ond, three sec-ond, four sec-ond...and so forth. I'm not entirely sure *what* they might give yet, but at least that's a start. Then, if you're measuring something faster than a second (say, a dot or a word appearing and disappearing on a screen), how many milliseconds was it there? If you do experiments sorta like that with standards in the hundreds of milliseconds, you'll get a concept of how long 400msec is. Far as measuring, I imagine you'd be provided with a stopwatch in all cases. This will need practice for stuff in the hundreds of milliseconds since your reaction time skews the measurement a little. Can anyone think of any other instruments that can measure time other than a stopwatch/digital clock?
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Skink wrote: Can anyone think of any other instruments that can measure time other than a stopwatch/digital clock?

There are lots of other instruments. I'd suggest you check out the wiki for the 'Its About Time' event that ran a couple years ago. Many of the most successful 'clocks' at Nationals were nothing more than a string with a weight on the end (a simple pendulum).

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

When I did Metric Mastery in 2008 I had some time stations at various competitions. The time stations usually involved measuring the period of a pendulum or the time for an object to fall in seconds. A tip for pendulums is to measure the time for a large number of swings and take the average time per swing. I usually do the time for ten swings divided by ten.
Cjkowalcz
Division: B

Post by Cjkowalcz »

Hi Guys. I was wondering if you had any useful sample tests/websites (such as significant digit websites, tips, etc.) for us to use.
Thanks! :lol:
Last edited by Cjkowalcz on November 8th, 2012, 4:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
2014 Rustin Invitational:
Entomology: 5th
Experimental Design: 1st
2014 Regionals:
Entomology: 3rd
Meteorology: 2nd
Experimental Design: 1st
2014 States:
???
Medal Count: 14 (Hoping for 15 after my last B-division States ;))
Blwrunner
Division: B

Post by Blwrunner »

Hey Cjkowalcz! As a matter of fact I do have some wonderful links for this event. Good luck this year! :D

http://www.sciencenc.com/2013%20BC%20Ev ... rial-2.pdf (2012 Coaches Institute Presentation and Sample Test)

http://www.sciencenc.com/eventhelp/exam ... 20Test.pdf (Metric Mastery Sample Test)

http://www.think-metric.com/ (Think Metric)

http://www.upscale.utoronto.ca/PVB/Harr ... meter.html (How to use a micrometer)

http://www.phy.uct.ac.za/courses/c1lab/vernier1.html (How to read a vernier caliper and micrometer)

2013 Comet Invitational:

Experimental Design- 1st place
Metric Mastery- 2nd place
Water Quality- 2nd place

2013 Regionals

Water Quality- 1st place
Write it/do it- 3rd place
Forestry- 4th place

Return to “2013 Lab Events”