Metric Mastery B

mrburrito
Division: B
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Metric Mastery B

Post by mrburrito »

What you need to do is start measuring common objects, doorframes, tiles, etc. Figure out several lengths on your body, ecspecially your hands, or the distance between your hip to the floor. In terms of mass, get 50 gram weights, 100 gram weights, and 150 gram weights. Hold these and get used to the feeling. That's the metric crash course.
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

Be careful with that. Yes, know common values of things, like distances, but do not use your body as a measuring device. I have my suspicions teams are doing this a fair bit, actually. That or volume questions are just really easy...which I don't think is right.
-274degreesC
State: CA

Post by -274degreesC »

I agree with Skink. If you use your body to estimate you will be tempted to use it in competition which, if seen by the proctor can result in a DQ.
2014 Regionals, State, Nationals:
Simple Machines: 1st, 1st, 19th
Metric Mastery: --, 1st, 11th
Shock Value: 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Meteorology: 1st, 1st, 16th
sofan
State: TX

Post by sofan »

Skink wrote:Be careful with that. Yes, know common values of things, like distances, but do not use your body as a measuring device. I have my suspicions teams are doing this a fair bit, actually. That or volume questions are just really easy...which I don't think is right.
mrburrito wrote:What you need to do is start measuring common objects, doorframes, tiles, etc. Figure out several lengths on your body, ecspecially your hands, or the distance between your hip to the floor. In terms of mass, get 50 gram weights, 100 gram weights, and 150 gram weights. Hold these and get used to the feeling. That's the metric crash course.
-274degreesC wrote:I agree with Skink. If you use your body to estimate you will be tempted to use it in competition which, if seen by the proctor can result in a DQ.
Thanks
New school year! New scioly season! Another year to do something great!

2013 galveston regionals:
rotor: 3rd
pic: 2nd(Texas event)
overall:3rd
2013 state:
rotor:4th
overall: 12th :I
rissapf13
State: PA

Post by rissapf13 »

Yes, remember, the rules do say that measurement devices such as fingers and clothing are not allowed at the event. At an invitational in January I competed and got 19th place. Before regionals I practiced a lot, and I ended up getting first at regionals with a score thirty percent higher than the second place team. I believe any team can do well, but you really do have to practice.
I lost the game.
mrburrito
State: TN

Post by mrburrito »

Does anyone else find it harder to determine the mass of hollow objects than solid objects.
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito
hc1220
State: MO

Post by hc1220 »

Honestly? For me, anything mass is hard :) all joking aside hollow objects are obviously the hardest as you can't feel it and you have really have no idea if it's not an everyday object.
2014: Ladue Middle- 8th at nats!
justsomedudenamedted
State: SD

Post by justsomedudenamedted »

Does anyone know how they might make a station where you have to estimate a length of time? At state they had questions for everything but time... So, I'm just wondering.
Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping, Dynamic Planet

3-time Nats participant.

I told you it was 75%, but noooooo
caseyotis
State: NY

Post by caseyotis »

justsomedudenamedted wrote:Does anyone know how they might make a station where you have to estimate a length of time? At state they had questions for everything but time... So, I'm just wondering.
JustDroobles wrote:
-274degreesC wrote:In the rules, it says that time is one of the units that could be in competition. So far, I have never seen a competition with this. Can someone give me an example of a time question that might pop up?
When I ran this event I included a station where it was required to measure the period of a pendulum with a stop watch and a station where it was required to measure the length of time for an animated gif to run. The period of a pendulum is constant independent of how high it is swinging. If you are asked to measure a period, remember, it is the time for a full cycle, back and forth.The best way to measure it accurately is to find the time for 10 cycles to complete and then divide the time for 10 cycles by 10.
ali941 wrote:
-274degreesC wrote:In the rules, it says that time is one of the units that could be in competition. So far, I have never seen a competition with this. Can someone give me an example of a time question that might pop up?
Estimate the time it takes for (given object) to fall (given distance).

For example, a 1cm cube falling 2 meters. This question was at the Bay Area Regionals.
You should look back in the pages; you might see some helpful advice or tips. :)
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
ali941
State: CA

Post by ali941 »

sofan wrote:NEED A LOT OF HELP!!!!!!
My school is going to state and I volunteered for Metric Mastery because nobody else would.
1st: What do I do.
2nd: Can I please have tips.

Thanks
I would also suggest practicing with your partner, getting to know who does better on what types of measurements. My partner and I bounce ideas off of each other, and if we disagree, I just average our guesses. This is pretty close most of the time. As suggested earlier, measure common objects, but also estimate then measure random objects with unusual tools like carpenter rulers, tapes, displacement cylinders, etc. All you have to do is practice. Good luck!
2013 Events:
Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals, Dynamic Planet, Metric Mastery: 2nd, Regionals

Hopeful 2014 events:
Dynamic Planet, Rocks and Minerals, Technical Problem Solving, Designer Genes, Astronomy*, MagLev*

IM AN ALICORN
The sky ain't sky blue. Who'da thunk it?

Return to “2013 Lab Events”