Metric Mastery B

caseyotis
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Metric Mastery B

Post by caseyotis »

Mr Tower wrote:What about force questions?
I don't have experience with force, and I wouldn't imagine them actually having that on a test. *shrug*
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
ali941
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by ali941 »

I think force would mostly be the force of gravity. In that case, it would be mass in kg multiplied by 9.8.
2013 Events:
Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals, Dynamic Planet, Metric Mastery: 2nd, Regionals

Hopeful 2014 events:
Dynamic Planet, Rocks and Minerals, Technical Problem Solving, Designer Genes, Astronomy*, MagLev*

IM AN ALICORN
The sky ain't sky blue. Who'da thunk it?
hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

ali941 wrote:
I think force would mostly be the force of gravity. In that case, it would be mass in kg multiplied by 9.8.
Units = newtons (N)

We played around with gravity too (Metric coach: "Okay kids, remember, that this formula only works when your tournament is held on earth..." - Metric ids: :roll: :roll: ) but also a bit with pulling things over smooth and carpeted floors using a spring scale (aka fish scale).

Then again, why am I telling you this? I can see by your sig that you beat us in MM at Nat's (by 1 place...). Oh well. We should be asking you questions!
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

caseyotis wrote:
I don't have experience with force, and I wouldn't imagine them actually having that on a test. *shrug*
Really? Spring scales are common instruments making them easy to implement, and force may even be one of the suggested parameters (you'd have to check the event description at the top of the rules). It goes without saying these questions are typically difficult because most teams don't know how to ballpark the force of weight of common objects. Newtons are a weird unit that we don't typically think in terms of, which is at odds with most of the others used in this event that you hear about day by day.

Return to “2013 Lab Events”