Metric Mastery B

Smiddrocks
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Metric Mastery B

Post by Smiddrocks »

About your "time" question, I went to the Wright State invite and the way time was apart of the event was they put a penny in a bottle filled with corn syrup and had you estimate how long it would take for the penny to go from the bottom of the bottle to the top when flipped up-side down.
hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Smiddrocks wrote:About your "time" question, I went to the Wright State invite and the way time was apart of the event was they put a penny in a bottle filled with corn syrup and had you estimate how long it would take for the penny to go from the bottom of the bottle to the top when flipped up-side down.
So, could you actually do the flip during the estimation part, or only during measurement?
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
awesome90220
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

Are they allowed to make us do the measurements in inches
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

hscmom wrote:
Smiddrocks wrote:About your "time" question, I went to the Wright State invite and the way time was apart of the event was they put a penny in a bottle filled with corn syrup and had you estimate how long it would take for the penny to go from the bottom of the bottle to the top when flipped up-side down.
So, could you actually do the flip during the estimation part, or only during measurement?
I doubt it because, then, they could count it. That's a pretty cool station, though. It's just a makeshift hourglass, and I found when running this that you won't find an already made hourglass that goes for a short enough amount of time out of which to make a station.
awesome90220 wrote:Are they allowed to make us do the measurements in inches
Nope. I don't have the rules in front of me, but the event description includes the phrase 'in metric units', if I recall. That's very clear.

Besides, no scientist uses inches! ;)
awesome90220
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

Skink wrote:
hscmom wrote:
I doubt it because, then, they could count it. That's a pretty cool station, though. It's just a makeshift hourglass, and I found when running this that you won't find an already made hourglass that goes for a short enough amount of time out of which to make a station.
awesome90220 wrote:Are they allowed to make us do the measurements in inches
Nope. I don't have the rules in front of me, but the event description includes the phrase 'in metric units', if I recall. That's very clear.

Besides, no scientist uses inches! ;)
Can I complain?
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

Not really. Your coach can complain an hour after the event :| . Your scores are finalized once scores are submitted (except maybe in extreeeeeeeeme circumstances, which this isn't). What you can do, though, if you're really concerned, is talk to your coach and have them inform the Regional Director about the Metric Mastery supervisor such that they can talk to the supervisor for next time or find someone else. It happens. Unfortunately, you have to move on from this one, but you should be able to expect State to be run better.
hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Well, I'm coaching two sixth graders on this and enjoying it (right now, there's a 30 item "event" waiting on the dining room table that we'll do when the other student arrives).

Anyway, they have sort of learned how to estimate mass by looking (without hefting) somewhat. They learned a few masses ("My calculator is 120 g and that banana is 165 g") and then they simply ask themselves "Is this as massive as my calculator?" or whatever. Usually their gut answer is close. Not always. Another question they may ask themselves is "Would this thing float?" Often, their gut is right on that too. And, if one partner says float and the other sink, I told them that they really don't have time to hash it out and assume that it's got a density of 1.0.

That said, we're pretty nervous about the competition as Metric's not been an event in years and I've never coached it before. I think our pair is doing okay, but I have no idea how they compare to the other teams' students. Ask me in a few days when we're either happy with the event or wondering what went wrong...

One thing that I reminded them is to not lose any stupid points. There is no excuse for leaving off a unit or giving the wrong unit. And they shouldn't lose points for sloppiness, even though they are rushed. Decimal points should be visible, a seven should not look like a one. And they need to be careful using sig figs.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

I've been looking for a good name for those points for a long time! "STUPID POINTS!" I like it! Thanks for the smile!
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
-274degreesC
State: CA

Post by -274degreesC »

Is there a better way of estimating the volume of a box than estimating the dimensions and then multiplying because I am finding that to be pretty inaccurate. For example, if you estimate the dimensions of a box to be 1 cm x 3 cm x 7cm then you get 21 ml. If the actual dimensions are 1.2 x 3.2 x 7.2 then it is 27.648 ml which is 24% off even though the individual estimations weren't that bad. :(
2014 Regionals, State, Nationals:
Simple Machines: 1st, 1st, 19th
Metric Mastery: --, 1st, 11th
Shock Value: 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Meteorology: 1st, 1st, 16th
ali941
State: CA

Post by ali941 »

For a box that small, you could try imagining packing cubes of 1cm x 1cm x 1cm and seeing how many would fit. If the event supervisors ask for the answer in liters, then imagine cubes of 10cm x 10cm x 10cm. It's worth a shot and sort of works for me.
2013 Events:
Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals, Dynamic Planet, Metric Mastery: 2nd, Regionals

Hopeful 2014 events:
Dynamic Planet, Rocks and Minerals, Technical Problem Solving, Designer Genes, Astronomy*, MagLev*

IM AN ALICORN
The sky ain't sky blue. Who'da thunk it?

Return to “2013 Lab Events”