Materials Science C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Materials Science C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
scm424
Division: C
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Re: Materials Science C

Post by scm424 »

So what do we need to know for this event? Also, what type of lab would be included in this event? Thanks!
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by twototwenty »

Three different versions of the trial event rules can be found here; this should give you a basic idea of what to expect for this event.
deezee

Post by deezee »

Does anyone know what this event might focus on?
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

There're trial rules on soinc
I'm assuming you know what materials science is :) it mainly focuses on basic properties of materials, from theoretical questions to labs to detirmine properties. It's nothing complicated/involving calculus...
deezee

Post by deezee »

iwonder wrote:There're trial rules on soinc
I'm assuming you know what materials science is :) it mainly focuses on basic properties of materials, from theoretical questions to labs to detirmine properties. It's nothing complicated/involving calculus...
Yeah but materials science is such a HUGE and broad field of science... i heard it focused on chemistry
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

Umm... Chemistry? That would make no sense to me... Where'd you hear that?

Some of the examples given in the trial rules for labs deal with things like modulus of elasticity and tensile strength, those kinds of properties of materials... I can see how chemistry plays a role, but I don't see how chemistry like an AP chem course would come into play.
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: KS

Post by FullMetalMaple »

iwonder wrote:Umm... Chemistry? That would make no sense to me... Where'd you hear that?

Some of the examples given in the trial rules for labs deal with things like modulus of elasticity and tensile strength, those kinds of properties of materials... I can see how chemistry plays a role, but I don't see how chemistry like an AP chem course would come into play.
I'm pretty certain it is chemistry-related. It's not exactly the kind of chem you would expect to learn in AP Chemistry (it's applied, not theoretical), but I'm pretty certain my textbook has a chapter on materials science. I think you are allowed to use a periodic table for some questions. Others might deal with bond strength or alloys. At least, that's what I remember from when I did an engineering summer program that incorporated materials science and from what I've seen when this event was run as a trial.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... v3mc_0.doc Just in case anyone want's to read it. It's got some chemistry on there, but I still wouldn't classify it as a chem event...
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
Seracon
State: MN

Post by Seracon »

It's not exactly a chemistry event, but it utilizes chemistry knowledge, especially when asking questions about material strength and how the bonds between atoms of a certain material affect it. I would say Materials Science is based on chemistry in the broad spectrum of sciences, but is more applicable to real life.
One person above mentioned the tensile strength/elasticity; last year, the lab was measuring the elasticity of some material and graphing the elasticity as a function of tension or something like that. If I remember correctly, the year before that, the lab was figuring out Miller indices and trying to make the contact angle of a water droplet 45 degrees by mixing it with various other liquids like oil and ethanol.
MN Geologic Mapping Regional & State Coordinator
Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational Co-Chair (Div B)
http://sciolyumn.wordpress.com/about/

Return to “2013 Lab Events”