Materials Science C

chalker7
Division: Grad
State: HI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Materials Science C

Post by chalker7 »

deezee wrote: Yeah but materials science is such a HUGE and broad field of science... i heard it focused on chemistry
Materials Science is inherently multidisciplinary, mostly including aspects of chemistry, physics and engineering. The way SO as a whole is structured places events on individual committees. For a variety of reasons, Materials Science is on the Chemistry committee. This means that the event will have a strong focus on the chemistry elements of Materials Science, but not an exclusive focus (I would still expect various questions/activities on structure and materials performance.)
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
deezee
Division: C
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by deezee »

So i guess it's basically applying chem and physics stuff to do certain things... So knowing properties of matter and measuring them would probably be a good thing to study.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.
Paleomaniac
State: CA

Post by Paleomaniac »

deezee wrote:So i guess it's basically applying chem and physics stuff to do certain things... So knowing properties of matter and measuring them would probably be a good thing to study.
thats essentially materials science... I would recommend putting emphasis properties of physics applied in a chemistry lab environment...
2015 events: Experimental Design, Fossils, Technical Problem Solving
Event Experience: Ornithology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Anatomy, Storm the Castle, Remote Sensing, Thermodynamics, Rocks and Minerals, Technical Problem Solving, Forensics, Anatomy and Physiology
earthbot25
State: PA

Post by earthbot25 »

The actual rules are surprisingly similar to the 2013 draft rules. Also as mentioned above, definitely a lot of chem involved.
I was hoping for more nano science like the older versions of the trial, but this seems like it's gonna be a great event :)
Harriton Class of 2014

Past Events: C: Materials Science, Chemistry Lab, TPS, Experimental Design, Mission Possible, Microbe Mission, WIDI, Helicopters. B: Bio-Process Lab, Towers, Microbe Mission, Robocross, Physical Science Lab
scm424

Post by scm424 »

How do you think the lab portion of the event will run?
MarineBiologist
Division: B

Post by MarineBiologist »

So what do we need to know for this challenge that's different from last year?
Why isn't life fair? :?:
scm424

Post by scm424 »

Does anyone know where to find good practice tests for Materials Science? The test exchange doesn't have any unfortunately...
RAntonello
State: FL

Post by RAntonello »

So, I know that we're all in the dark with this event, so in all of our own vested interest in SO, and the spirit of fair competition. If ANYONE figures out what this event is about please post it here.

Also, what's up with Miller indices and Bravais Lattices? Can anyone find a good tutorial for them?
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

Wikipedia would be a good start to learn about both Bravais lattices and Miller indices. I would start with understand what Bravais lattices are first before learning about Miller indices. Once you know about Bravais lattices, Miller indices is pretty easy to understand.
Shad160
State: NY

Post by Shad160 »

Has anyone here competed in this event yet (as a trial from last year or from any invitationals so far this year)? I'm trying to get a feel for how hard the questions for this event usually end up being, because I've been casually prepping for a while now, but everything I seem to touch upon seems like either basic knowledge or deeply advanced material. Struggling to find a happy medium/ trying to understand how difficult the test will actually get...
What happens on Alpha Lyrae, stays on Alpha Lyrae.

Return to “2013 Lab Events”