Materials Science C

earthbot25
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Materials Science C

Post by earthbot25 »

Does anyone know if the event will change at all for next year? I'd really love to see some nanotechnology, nanomaterials stuff like was in some of the trial rules.
Harriton Class of 2014

Past Events: C: Materials Science, Chemistry Lab, TPS, Experimental Design, Mission Possible, Microbe Mission, WIDI, Helicopters. B: Bio-Process Lab, Towers, Microbe Mission, Robocross, Physical Science Lab
hpfananu
Division: C
State: TX

Post by hpfananu »

Infinity Flat wrote:
cjingk96 wrote:
Briscon wrote:WA had a lab on contact angles. We got four different surfaces, and had to compare the contact angle between them, draw the drop etc. We also had to model one of the crystal structures (each team got a different one).
In your lab, did you have to quantitatively measure the contact angles or just compare them? If you did have to get quantitative data, how did you do it? I have no idea what I'd do if I got a lab like that :o
It was just comparative IIRC.
*In our lab at nationals it was quantitative. They gave you a protractor as well as a magnifying glass. After dropping all the drops, what you were supposed to do is magnify them and then use a protractor to estimate. You could get pretty close too because the magnifying glass was pretty decent. Alternatively, to save time, you could magnify the drop, draw it, and then try and figure out the angle, which is what I did.
Last edited by hpfananu on June 6th, 2013, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Materials Science|Water Quality|Disease Detectives
Sleep is for the Weak: SLHS SO 2012-2013
TAMS 2013-2014
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

hpfananu wrote: Actually, it was quantitative. They gave you a protractor as well as a magnifying glass. After dropping all the drops, what you were supposed to do is magnify them and then use a protractor to estimate. You could get pretty close too because the magnifying glass was pretty decent. Alternatively, to save time, you could magnify the drop, draw it, and then try and figure out the angle, which is what I did.
I was referring to the competition at WA state ;) Didn't compete at nationals due to conflict with Astronomy.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
hpfananu
State: TX

Post by hpfananu »

Infinity Flat wrote:
hpfananu wrote: Actually, it was quantitative. They gave you a protractor as well as a magnifying glass. After dropping all the drops, what you were supposed to do is magnify them and then use a protractor to estimate. You could get pretty close too because the magnifying glass was pretty decent. Alternatively, to save time, you could magnify the drop, draw it, and then try and figure out the angle, which is what I did.
I was referring to the competition at WA state ;) Didn't compete at nationals due to conflict with Astronomy.
Oh wow that was stupid of me. Sorry about that.
Nationals they had the actual measuring though so it is possible
Materials Science|Water Quality|Disease Detectives
Sleep is for the Weak: SLHS SO 2012-2013
TAMS 2013-2014
Wanttoget1st
Division: B
State: IL

Post by Wanttoget1st »

Does anyone know if this year they're going to change the focus from last year? If so, what are they going to change it to? For example, last year it was material performance relationship & intermolecular forces and surface chem. Thanks.
Cedavis6

Post by Cedavis6 »

Wanttoget1st wrote:Does anyone know if this year they're going to change the focus from last year? If so, what are they going to change it to? For example, last year it was material performance relationship & intermolecular forces and surface chem. Thanks.
I believe they will change it... I saw a PDF of tenative rules for next year on soinc. I'd check that out, it may have the focus.
cjingk96
State: OH

Post by cjingk96 »

Cedavis6 wrote:
Wanttoget1st wrote:Does anyone know if this year they're going to change the focus from last year? If so, what are they going to change it to? For example, last year it was material performance relationship & intermolecular forces and surface chem. Thanks.
I believe they will change it... I saw a PDF of tenative rules for next year on soinc. I'd check that out, it may have the focus.
Hmm... why can't I find that? Can you link it on here? Thanks :)
-Crystal
Cedavis6

Post by Cedavis6 »

cjingk96 wrote:
Cedavis6 wrote:
Hmm... why can't I find that? Can you link it on here? Thanks :)
IDK where I saw it, I'll try and find it.
Wanttoget1st
Division: B
State: IL

Post by Wanttoget1st »

For people that have done this event last year, how did you go about studying? Right now I have a textbook, but it's college level (1200 pages, need strong math skills to understand), very detailed, and I don't think that all of the material is very relevant. Would you mind telling me how I should go about preparing (mostly for tryouts for a very competitive school)? :D Thanks!!!

Return to “2013 Lab Events”