Food Science B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Food Science B

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MD
Been thanked: 0

Re: Food Science B

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

Alright and all ready for another attack at this event!

12th place in the Nation in 2012.

Heard they're making you have 2 viscometers--this will be advantageous! I'm glad they did it.

I think the hardest part about this event is resources are not many. However since last year was the first nationally, I still want to find out just how the rules will come out this year.
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com
hotchocolate123
State: TX

Post by hotchocolate123 »

Hey, I'm having problem finding Great Egg Spectations in stores ... is it just me?
and on the rules do they mean eaglebrand sweetened condensed milk instead of evaporated? :?: :?: :?:
2014 Nationals:
Heredity (5th) Water Quality (7th)
2013 Nationals:
Forestry (4) Heredity (9) Rocks & Minerals (5)
2012 Nationals:
Forestry (3) Rocks & minerals (7) Aquifers (13)
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

I don't know about the former, but, for the latter, good question. A look at their Web site comes up with this. I strongly suspect that the Eagle Brand milk can be considered an equal substitute for the Meadow Gold sweetened milk. Oddly, A)the FAQ on their site says not to substitute the two, and B)where on the other site does it list the Meadow Gold product? For the time being, I'd assume they are essentially the same thing despite small differences since they have the same viscosity, and the product you're looking for surely is the condensed milk because that's all I see on the Eagle Brand site.
Though I've never heard of either of these :? ...have to look the next time I'm at a grocery store.
Gemma W
State: NY

Post by Gemma W »

At least they give more information about the viscosity measurements this year, last year it was very vague.
2015 events: WIDI, Protein Modeling, Geomapping, Chem Lab

2014 events: WIDI, Geomapping, Materials Science, Food Science
2013 events: WIDI, Mousetrap Vehicle, Heredity, Food Science, Metric Mastery

Best ever place: Nationals, 3rd in WIDI
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

You can buy both Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk. They are similar, but NOT the same. Buy a can of each and you will see. Shake both very well before opening.
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

Do you have a link to somewhere online that has both products?

Another oddity is vii; there's no product of that exact name (though I think if you drop the 'Sweetened' part, you're okay).
hotchocolate123
State: TX

Post by hotchocolate123 »

So for x. it should be condensed milk right? Because, condensed milk has a higher viscosity than evaporated milk, and for great egg spectations..... anyone know what that is?
2014 Nationals:
Heredity (5th) Water Quality (7th)
2013 Nationals:
Forestry (4) Heredity (9) Rocks & Minerals (5)
2012 Nationals:
Forestry (3) Rocks & minerals (7) Aquifers (13)
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

Provisionally, that seems like a safe bet because I'm told it's not just higher but significantly higher as-in there's no way to mix the two up. Far as the latter, I still can't find it online...try some more out-there grocery stores.
twinrock
State: MI

Post by twinrock »

I found Great Egg Spectations to be a storebrand product in Meijer's. I believe this is a chain that is only in the Midwest. As to Eagle Brand and Carnation milk, I have found Eagle Brand only as sweetened condensed milk . Carnation can be either sweetened condensed or evaporated. I tested the Carnation evaporated milk thinking it might be a mistake and it definitely doesn't have the viscosity of sweetened milk. I am assuming the mistake is in calling condensed evaporated.

Return to “2013 Lab Events”