Food Science B

cupcakegirl
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Food Science B

Post by cupcakegirl »

On the evaporated vs. condensed milk, has anyone put in a rules clarification? I too, feel it is probably a mistake.

For the Great Eggspectations, I also found that it is sold at two places:
Wolverine Grocery
Meijer's
Meijer's is only located in Michigan, Illinois, Kentucky, Ohio, and Indiana. I think Wolverine Grocery is a grocery store for the University of Michigan though...

I think I will just use some other egg substitute, perhaps a more common one such as Egg Beaters as it should be close enough in viscosity (I hope :? )
2013 Nationals Results: Water Quality-2nd, Food Science-6th, Crime Busters-13th, Team- 7th
2014 National Results: Water Quality- 7th, Can't Judge A Powder- 6th, Crime Busters- 4th, Heredity- 5th, Team- FIRST!!!
2015 Events: Forensics, Green Generation, Fossils
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

cupcakegirl wrote:On the evaporated vs. condensed milk, has anyone put in a rules clarification? I too, feel it is probably a mistake.

For the Great Eggspectations, I also found that it is sold at two places:
Wolverine Grocery
Meijer's
Meijer's is only located in Michigan, Illinois, Kentucky, Ohio, and Indiana. I think Wolverine Grocery is a grocery store for the University of Michigan though...

I think I will just use some other egg substitute, perhaps a more common one such as Egg Beaters as it should be close enough in viscosity (I hope :? )
I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already...then again, I wouldn't be surprised if someone hasn't, either :lol: . I'll write something incoherent and see if we hear back.

Thanks...there must be another supplier still, then, because I'm not sure what they were thinking if this product is difficult to find.

Bad idea. This is a standard, and your point will be in the wrong place if you don't use the exact stuff intended. THat said, I'd almost rather you leave it out than substitute, but that's how I'd do it (and assuming you have all of the other points).

EDIT: Aha! THere's an added statement from last season: "and some of the following liquids". You don't have to use all of the standards in your curve if you can't find one. So, after all, it's not written in any State's disadvantage or anything. Just don't use the odd ones. I still think they need to clarify what product they're talking about.
EDIT2: Your question has been submitted.
hotchocolate123
Division: B

Post by hotchocolate123 »

Thank you so much! :)
I found what the product may look like: http://www.fooducate.com/app#page=produ ... FD45A4D471
...except I can't find where they sell them... oh well, I have a feeling that all the Proctors in Texas won't either XD
2014 Nationals:
Heredity (5th) Water Quality (7th)
2013 Nationals:
Forestry (4) Heredity (9) Rocks & Minerals (5)
2012 Nationals:
Forestry (3) Rocks & minerals (7) Aquifers (13)
PicturePerfect
State: CA

Post by PicturePerfect »

Hey, I'm new to Science Olympiad this year. Any tips on how to prepare for Food Science? Thanks! :)
2012-2013 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 2nd
Forestry | 3rd
Food Science | 5th
Team | 1st

2013-2014 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 4th
Water Quality | 7th
Shock Value | 7th
Wheeled Vehicle | 7th

2014-2015 Event Name | Best Finish |
senyab
State: MA

Post by senyab »

In the rulebook, it says you can make a larger hole for more viscous liquids. Wouldn't this mess up your standard curve? I feel like this inclusion will give many strange looking curves at states... Does anybody else agree?
-----
2011-2012 Events
Bottle Rockets--States 1st/Nationals 22nd
Disease Detectives--States 2nd/Nationals 35th
Food Science--States 2nd/Nationals 8th

2012-2013 Events
Anatomy--States 1st/Nationals 34th
Disease Detectives--States 1st/Nationals 8th
Food Science--States 1st/Nationals 2nd
cupcakegirl

Post by cupcakegirl »

senyab wrote:In the rulebook, it says you can make a larger hole for more viscous liquids. Wouldn't this mess up your standard curve? I feel like this inclusion will give many strange looking curves at states... Does anybody else agree?
I could be completely wrong on this, but I took this to mean that you would have two curve graphs, one for each viscotester with different sized holes.

On another note, we are allowed to bring more than two viscotesters, right? I just wanted to clarify this before the first competition this weekend :)
2013 Nationals Results: Water Quality-2nd, Food Science-6th, Crime Busters-13th, Team- 7th
2014 National Results: Water Quality- 7th, Can't Judge A Powder- 6th, Crime Busters- 4th, Heredity- 5th, Team- FIRST!!!
senyab
State: MA

Post by senyab »

I'm not sure, but I took it as meaning you can use a smaller hole for low viscosity liquids and a larger hole for higher viscosity liquids
Excerpt from rulebook: Viscotesters can be made by drilling a 7/64" hole from the inside of a 30 ml scoop or cup for liquids less than 200 cP viscosity, and a 5/32 hole for liquids with viscosities greater than 200 cP.

So, that seems like two size holes for one curve... I don't know...
-----
2011-2012 Events
Bottle Rockets--States 1st/Nationals 22nd
Disease Detectives--States 2nd/Nationals 35th
Food Science--States 2nd/Nationals 8th

2012-2013 Events
Anatomy--States 1st/Nationals 34th
Disease Detectives--States 1st/Nationals 8th
Food Science--States 1st/Nationals 2nd
youngswimmer
State: TN

Post by youngswimmer »

hey um im new to this event and i know how to make the viscosity meter but i dont know how to use it. so how do you... i know how to do the timing part but the graph confuses me.
-BAXINGA!!-
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

!! IMPORTANT !! Rules Clarification:
Standard Curve Graph: Delete iv. Virgin Olive Oil, v. Great Egg Spectations, vii. Carnation Evaporated Sweetened Milk, and ix. Brer Rabbit Light Molasses from the list of liquids and Change x. to read “Meadow Gold or Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk”.
senyab wrote:In the rulebook, it says you can make a larger hole for more viscous liquids. Wouldn't this mess up your standard curve? I feel like this inclusion will give many strange looking curves at states... Does anybody else agree?
In what sense? It's almost necessary to have a larger hole for nonviscous liquids to actually get through in the next century...if you mean putting water in there wouldn't work, use tape or something to seal off the hole until you're ready to measure.
cupcakegirl wrote:I could be completely wrong on this, but I took this to mean that you would have two curve graphs, one for each viscotester with different sized holes.

On another note, we are allowed to bring more than two viscotesters, right? I just wanted to clarify this before the first competition this weekend :)
Ugh. The rules are unclear whether the back-ups have to be the same. Considering you can have standard curve graphS (plural), you may be able to have a few different viscometers. I don't know if that helps any, and I'd be careful about interpreting it that way if you get a supervisor who disagrees.
Theoretically, you can bring 50 of them. ;) I'd keep back-ups within reason, like one. I mean, do you really need more than one if not two?
senyab wrote:So, that seems like two size holes for one curve... I don't know...
They'd be two separate graphs (I suppose you could do an overlay plot). Also, recall you have a binder and can have it full of standard curves if you really wanted to.
youngswimmer wrote:hey um im new to this event and i know how to make the viscosity meter but i dont know how to use it. so how do you... i know how to do the timing part but the graph confuses me.
You have to make the graph. Take each of the listed standards in the rules and run them through your meter timing them. It's up to you specifically how you want to do that since there are two or three methods. Whatever you do, be consistent. Then, open up Excel or some other spreadsheet program and make two columns, one for viscosity and one for time. Make a graph, and it should be a straight line.
So what?
You go to competition, and the Supervisor gives you a weird liquid (from the List) asking you to determine its viscosity using your homemade viscometer. Like you did at home with the standards, you run the weird liquid through it and time it. This shouldn't take long. Once you timed it, go back to your standard curve. Find the point on the line that matches the time you recorded from weird liquid, and look down at what viscosity goes with it. That's the viscosity of weird liquid. That make sense?
cupcakegirl

Post by cupcakegirl »

Skink wrote:!! IMPORTANT !! Rules Clarification:
Standard Curve Graph: Delete iv. Virgin Olive Oil, v. Great Egg Spectations, vii. Carnation Evaporated Sweetened Milk, and ix. Brer Rabbit Light Molasses from the list of liquids and Change x. to read “Meadow Gold or Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk”.
Thanks for getting that rules clarification! :D Time to completely redo my curve graphs...
I wonder why they took out the olive oil, Carnation evaporated milk, and molasses though... hmmm... :?

Return to “2013 Lab Events”