Beastybob12345
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Food Science B

Post by Beastybob12345 »

geminicross wrote:
Beastybob12345 wrote:Hmm... we didn't have to bake cupcakes at our invitational... that would be cool though. :D And what is an Easy Bake Oven?
my god...

You haven't seen the commercials?
Apparently not, are they in a specific state? :?:
[img]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcJRzoptYVlOdlPSHbLzFc37EVfbeQWvdCIdwEGVnkZvhxLbKBqA[/img]
Me----> Image

NorCal Science Olympiad is AWESOME!!!

leeumpetro
State: PA

Post by leeumpetro »

My Viscotesters are not working! I decided to use the styrofoam cup method and that appears to give me bad numbers for my graph (It doesn't curve). I was just looking for some suggestions for Viscotesters and some good materials to test. Thanks!
Beastybob12345

Post by Beastybob12345 »

Well, I didn't use the styrofoam cup, I used a plastic tube, similar to a test tube kind of thing. It flows well and my standard curve actually curved. And regarding the items to test, they have a list that is updated. Hope that helped. :D
[img]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcJRzoptYVlOdlPSHbLzFc37EVfbeQWvdCIdwEGVnkZvhxLbKBqA[/img]
Me----> Image

PicturePerfect
Division: C

Post by PicturePerfect »

Beastybob, have you had your State competition yet?
2012-2013 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 2nd
Forestry | 3rd
Food Science | 5th
Team | 1st

2013-2014 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 4th
Water Quality | 7th
Shock Value | 7th
Wheeled Vehicle | 7th

2014-2015 Event Name | Best Finish |
leeumpetro

Post by leeumpetro »

Beastybob12345 wrote:Well, I didn't use the styrofoam cup, I used a plastic tube, similar to a test tube kind of thing. It flows well and my standard curve actually curved. And regarding the items to test, they have a list that is updated. Hope that helped. :D
Thanks! that does help! :lol:
Ajullie1105
State: MI

Post by Ajullie1105 »

So at States last year in Michigan, they wanted us to take the density of flour. Does anyone know how to do that? They gave us some flours, and a scale. We were pretty stumped.
Food Science, Science Crime Busters, Awesome Aquifers, Road Scholar, Mission Possible, Disease Detectives, Forestry, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality!
hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Ajullie1105 wrote:So at States last year in Michigan, they wanted us to take the density of flour. Does anyone know how to do that? They gave us some flours, and a scale. We were pretty stumped.
Density of anything is mass over volume. For example water is 1 gram per milliliter (1 g/ml) which is a standard of density. Things less dense will float in water and denser things sink in water... Anyway, flour doesn't "weight much" (that's non-technical for "low density"). Measure out some flour, say 100 ml, using a beaker or graduated cylinder or metric measuring cup. Then weigh the flour on a scale. I have no idea what 100 ml of flour would weigh but let's say that 100 ml of flour is 50 grams. That's its mass. Put it in a ratio: 50 g/100ml and then divide both denominator and numerator by 100 to get rid of the 100 in the denominator. Now you have the equivalent fraction of .5g/ml and that's your density. If the flour weighed 30 grams then its density is .3g/ml.

Good SO skill to have anyway.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
Ajullie1105
State: MI

Post by Ajullie1105 »

hscmom wrote:
Ajullie1105 wrote:So at States last year in Michigan, they wanted us to take the density of flour. Does anyone know how to do that? They gave us some flours, and a scale. We were pretty stumped.
Density of anything is mass over volume. For example water is 1 gram per milliliter (1 g/ml) which is a standard of density. Things less dense will float in water and denser things sink in water... Anyway, flour doesn't "weight much" (that's non-technical for "low density"). Measure out some flour, say 100 ml, using a beaker or graduated cylinder or metric measuring cup. Then weigh the flour on a scale. I have no idea what 100 ml of flour would weigh but let's say that 100 ml of flour is 50 grams. That's its mass. Put it in a ratio: 50 g/100ml and then divide both denominator and numerator by 100 to get rid of the 100 in the denominator. Now you have the equivalent fraction of .5g/ml and that's your density. If the flour weighed 30 grams then its density is .3g/ml.

Good SO skill to have anyway.
Thank you!! :D
Food Science, Science Crime Busters, Awesome Aquifers, Road Scholar, Mission Possible, Disease Detectives, Forestry, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality!
Beastybob12345

Post by Beastybob12345 »

PicturePerfect wrote:Beastybob, have you had your State competition yet?
Yes, we have! It was on April 13th I think. Rolling Hills got 9th overall. That's an improvement from last year!!! :lol:
Me----> Image

Gearbox
Division: C

Post by Gearbox »

Anyone know the exact chemical reactions involved in baking including chemical equations? Thanks!

I can help people out with fats/fatty acids if they need help
2015 Events

Protein Modeling
Cell Biology
Disease Detectives
Chem Lab

Return to “2013 Lab Events”